Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Paco said:

We probably won’t. Travel controls are to prevent variants coming in that beat the vaccine or previous immunity.

Otherwise? We’ll be pretty normal. Not immediately and we’ll probably work down the tiers through spring and summer. But by autumn the whole population should be vaccinated. Failing some vaccine-beating variant sweeping the country there’s no reason at that stage for life not to be absolutely normal, full stadia and concerts, the lot - outside of international travel.

If you want normal life, that’s the price that has to be paid. I know people on here are sceptical of variants but the majority of scientists are seriously worried about them. Governments shouldn’t ignore that.

So, do we have an end date for this or will we never be able to travel again ?

I'm not getting at you incidentally as I know you're only stating the given reasoning, however I would question whether this is actually in any way feasible in practice.

Variants will likely be with us forever while the virus remains active anywhere throughout the world, so what that means is that life as we all knew it is over, surely not ?????

More to the point, what will I do with all my saved up sol melia loyalty points !!!!

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Are all staff working in the quarantine hotels going to be vaccinated before this all kicks in. Surely pointless if they are not then returning to their families quite possibly via public transport each day ???

If it's done in the same style as Australia and New Zealand I'd imagine most of the regular staff won't be on.  People will be stuck in their rooms, not having lunch in the bar etc.  I wonder if it'll be an outside company brought in as well in many cases as opposed to the hotel's own housekeepers.

Edited by Highland Capital

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Where can I book one of these quarantine hotels ?  I assume they are all inclusive with pools and gyms ?   Any reviews on trip advisor ?

Food was rubbish, locked in my room like a criminal and staff thought they were Dick Turpin as were all wearing masks !!

Don't Go !!!

Going by this thread, it seems it's almost mission accomplished in terms of scaremongering. We are now negotiating with ourselves what part of our lives we are willing have crushed by emergency powers, against a virus with a tiny mortality rate and highly effective vaccines. I get that we have to wait a wee while longer, but some chat here is mental

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I don't want us locked down I just expect more restrictions this winter (on top of travel restrictions all year). 

You're the fucking worst. 

You're also on about us all having to get the vaccine every year.  Where do you come to that conclusion?

I don't want us locked down I just expect more restrictions this winter (on top of travel restrictions all year). 

And every winter from now until the end of time?

Someone (I think Todd) said that people have lost sight of why we locked down in the first place. This sort of chat proves that pretty well. 

And just to Rub it in, my Radisson rewards statement has just flashed up and it's enticing me with statements such as,

"A world of possibilities"

"Spread your wings"

"Too good to miss"

Aye, cheers for that.

Do people realise why influenza is now considered 'just flu'? Because, we went through three quite serious pandemics of influenza in the 20th century (and a bit of a false alarm in 2009/10) and have since developed vaccines for it - indeed vaccines which appear consideranly less efficacious as those we have developed in the past 12 months for Covid-19. This mix of immunity to stop future severe disease and vaccination is what is going to happen to Covid-19, and it will no longer be the threat it is now. Which means we will live alongside it with no infringement on civil liberties.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

You're the fucking worst. 

You're also on about us all having to get the vaccine every year.  Where do you come to that conclusion?

I'm just assuming that it will be like the flu vaccine.

Given that governments are already taking about new variants harming efficacy it seems unlikely that one jab will last through multiple winter Covid seasons.  

Just now, Detournement said:

Given that governments are already taking about new variants harming efficacy it seems unlikely that one jab will last through multiple winter Covid seasons.  

Uh huh, and vaccine manufacturers are already altering their vaccines to help it, like we do with the flu vaccine every year. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

And every winter from now until the end of time?

Someone (I think Todd) said that people have lost sight of why we locked down in the first place. This sort of chat proves that pretty well. 

I have always and still do favour targeted shielding over lockdowns other than with  extreme figures. I want to open up asap. 

However Sturgeon and the Tories clearly want to remain in lockdown for as long as possible. 

You're the absolute worst on this thread for scaremongering.

You've peddled the 'multiple variants' line many times on here and every time you get told that to counter any variants, vaccine research is also evolving alongside potential virus evolution. But it's almost as if you don't want to hear that.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

You're the absolute worst on this thread for scaremongering.

You've peddled the 'multiple variants' line many times on here and every time you get told that to counter any variants, vaccine research is also evolving alongside potential virus evolution. But it's almost as if you don't want to hear that.

That's exactly what I meant when I said a program of perpetual vaccination.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So, do we have an end date for this or will we never be able to travel again ?

I'm not getting at you incidentally as I know you're only stating the given reasoning, however I would question whether this is actually in any way feasible in practice.

Variants will likely be with us forever while the virus remains active anywhere throughout the world, so what that means is that life as we all knew it is over, surely not ?????

More to the point, what will I do with all my saved up sol melia loyalty points !!!!

That's the part that is both annoying and frustrating.

I fully support the current measures and quarantine, but what are the conditions that need to be met to remove quarantine, remove travel restrictions and reduce to Level 1 or 0. What are the targets we must meet? We don't need dates as nobody knows, we just need to know what is required.  An exit strategy.

As it stands, it seems like NS is agitating for a complete border closure in 2021 which is what she has always wanted, that won't wash.

Reduce deaths, reduce new infections, reduce the pressure on the NHS.  Those are what I understood to be the targets to meet towards normality, so let's have a bit more meat on the bones and then we know where we all stand. Not "dinnae book foreign holidays" pish.