Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

If you are happy with there being no actual normality in this country over the entire year when the borders are closed and the country is vaccinated, then there really is no point explaining why that is disgraceful. 

Nobody would be happy with that, and nobody can be sure if and when it will happen. When pushed she said she hoped normal holidays in Scotland would be able to happen in the summer with pubs and restaurants open.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Last April I called my GO Surgery because I had a sinus infection that hadn’t shifted in 2 weeks. Receptionist didn’t even say hello before saying “if you’ve Covid symptoms follow the advice or book a test.”

They are unbelievable I think people must have left the Gestapo and Stasi to become receptionists.

18 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

That's a side issue. My main objection is that it would be pretty damaging to the public to hear the government hint at good things in X number of months and then pin hopes on that only to have it swiped away by circumstances.

If Sturgeon or BJ hinted at a crowd at this season's cup finals, for example, many people would take that as a 'PROMISE' and others would just get their hopes up about it. Then if it didn't happen, trust in the government would be further eroded, and people would have had a bubble burst, leading to more misery.

The government here started lockdown back in March by announcing two week blocks at a time. This gave the hope that every block might be the last one. Eventually they binned that and just announced a really long extension. I can't remember how long exactly. The effect of this was removing the two-weekly process of getting everyone's hopes up, and it also brought the benefit of the government suddenly making everyone happy by lifting the restrictions early when they judged it possible.

I just don't see why people want them to make some kind of baseless optimistic claim about the future. It may well make things worse.

Aye, why would the government want to do something as stupid as give people some hope in their lives as some area of Scotland have only been in an effective lockdown since October (could be wrong but was that when Glasgow, Lanarkshire etc where in tier 4)  i am sure that they are happy that it could be another 6 months as they have not been advised any other way.

Edited by The Stig

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, The Stig said:

Aye, why would the government want to do something as stupid as give people some hope in their lives as some area of Scotland have only been in an effective lockdown since October (could be wrong but was that when Glasgow, Lanarkshire etc where in tier 4)  i am sure that they are happy that it could be another 6 months as they have now been advised any other way.

Because giving people false hope would be exceptionally cruel.

6 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Aye, why would the government want to do something as stupid as give people some hope in their lives as some area of Scotland have only been in an effective lockdown since October (could be wrong but was that when Glasgow, Lanarkshire etc where in tier 4)  i am sure that they are happy that it could be another 6 months as they have not been advised any other way.

Yup, we’ve basically been in lockdown again since October (South Ayrshire) 

Not that we were ever far out of it.

7 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Because giving people false hope would be exceptionally cruel.

we have been told that this is to stop the NHS being over run.  would it be to much for them to say that once we reach a certain level of people in hospital then we will look to do X, there is no date given but it may result in greater compliance with the rules as it gives a target that people to work to.

They should be working with the carrot and stick analogy but we are not being offered the carrot but they it feels like the reward is not getting beaten with the stick and we should be happy with that!

Edited by The Stig

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, The Stig said:

we have been told that this is to stop the NHS being over run.  would it be to much for them to say that once we reach a certain level of people in hospital then we will look to do X, there is no date given but it may result in greater compliance with the rules as it gives a target that people to work to.

They should be working with the carrot and stick analogy but we are not being offered the carrot but they it feels like the reward is not getting beaten with the stick and we should be happy with that!

I mentioned before that a recurring theme in various countries is experts making the point that they cannot do precisely that because they do not have enough information at the moment to do so.

They'd be picking a number out the sky that may have to be changed later. Which people would complain about.

I think governments are doing a bad job of explaining why they can't do that.

41 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

What we can gather from this is that both Pfizer and Israeli people's immune systems are the bois?

Missed this earlier. Fantastic stuff.

I'm not sure if you're referencing my post of few pages back, where I said that for millions and millions of people, foreign travel (not necessarily just holidays) is very much a  part of 'normal' life. 
I was only bringing it up because I was rather taken aback at the number of people making posts saying...'well, I'm happy to give XXXXX up, or I'm happy to give XXXXX up'.
Let's all turn the clocks back 5000 years and live in boarded up caves. We'll be safe then. 
I'm not happy to give anything up. I'll abide by the current restrictions, but I want them lifted ASAP and I want every element of normal life back, including international travel. 

No because I agree with broadly most of the points made in favour of travelling and holidays I just found (I’ve since went back and checked who it was) Elixir’s ode to travelling and subsequent claim that holidaying was a necessity to be really funny. Just giggling to myself imagining someone taking Michael O’Leary to the Hague because he deprived a family of 4 of their annual jaunt to Florence.

It’s not even that the spirit of it is necessarily wrong it just came across as wildly privileged and entitled in a way that’s funny, to me.

30 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

That's exactly what Johnson did yesterday. 

I don't think it is. He said he was confident that the vaccine would reduce serious illness and death, which would allow them to start gradually lifting restrictions, but that he would have to wait until the figures showed this was the case to do so.

Leaving aside any personal thoughts about the man, that's exactly the message that should be getting broadcast.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think it is. He said he was confident that the vaccine would reduce serious illness and death, which would allow them to start gradually lifting restrictions, but that he would have to wait until the figures showed this was the case to do so.

Leaving aside any personal thoughts about the man, that's exactly the message that should be getting broadcast.

That's true. 

But it's also a fact that Johnson is unable to act like a PM. He has a desperate need to say say something that pleases people, regardless of the situation. 

He spent last year making ridiculous statements which betrayed his shallow, populist nature, and which in many ways caused confusion and added to the problems that we have t this moment. 

Lately, it looks like he's been schooled into holding back. 

38 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Well maybe there won’t be normality this year. In fact, if we take normal to be “as things were before” I expect there won’t be.

The vaccine is a route out but they have to know that it works, that people once exposed to the virus, don’t get very sick. This all takes a lot of time because it requires gathering and looking at data over a period of (probably) months. I expect us to start reopening things but there will still be a lot of measures in place.

You think her comments are disgraceful but why? They are probably the truth.

At the point where we are remaining locked down for the purposes of comfort blanket data gathering, we have gone too far. If we cant make assumptions based on the data Pfizer and AZ have already gathered, that once the vulnerable are vaccinated, hospital admissions won't shoot back up, then we may aswell just give the vaccines to someone that will sue them for their intended purpose. That level of risk aversion and the cost it would bring is totally unacceptable. Folk losing their shirt because tens of thousands of folk are dying in hospital = unsavoury but a necceassry evil. Folk losing thei shirt because the government want to sit on the empty hospitals and the lockdown restrictions to "wait and see if its ok to open up" = fucking ludicrous and negligent of their duties

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

No because I agree with broadly most of the points made in favour of travelling and holidays I just found (I’ve since went back and checked who it was) Elixir’s ode to travelling and subsequent claim that holidaying was a necessity to be really funny. Just giggling to myself imagining someone taking Michael O’Leary to the Hague because he deprived a family of 4 of their annual jaunt to Florence.

It’s not even that the spirit of it is necessarily wrong it just came across as wildly privileged and entitled in a way that’s funny, to me.

Which of course was not the point of my argument...

17 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

I mentioned before that a recurring theme in various countries is experts making the point that they cannot do precisely that because they do not have enough information at the moment to do so.

They'd be picking a number out the sky that may have to be changed later. Which people would complain about.

I think governments are doing a bad job of explaining why they can't do that.

Look if you are happy to be stuck in this lockdown for an indefinite period of time then so be it but at this moment i am at my worst  stage mentally of this whole thing as there is no end in sight and i am just looking for a sliver of positivity  that this are going to get better from our leaders, but everyday it is one negative thing after another and frankly it is starting to seriously affect me.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

bUt ThE vAcCiNeS wOn'T wOrK aGaInSt tHe NeW vArIaNts

There is a distinct possibility that there will be variants that are considerably less effective or not effective at all.

Until vaccination and better sequencing picks up in the developing world, there are going to be restrictions on international travel.

44 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If you are happy with there being no actual normality in this country over the entire year when the borders are closed and the country is vaccinated, then there really is no point explaining why that is disgraceful. 

Of course the idea doesn’t make me happy but whether we are happy about it or not is irrelevant tbh. 

They are going on the scientific advice and my liking it or not doesn’t change that. Listening to Van Tam on the briefing last night, he pretty much explained what they have to wait for, it’s not a short or quick process and not just a case of vaccinate everyone and off we go.

There’s still a way to go to make sure it’s safe and just because we look at it and think it should be fine now does not mean that’s how it works scientifically - unless we work in this area, we don’t know what it fully takes to get out of this properly.

I agree what what TheJTS98 has been saying, there is no point in giving false hope in saying we’ll be back to normal when there is a chance we might not be. 

Edited by Jambomo