Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I mean, far be it from me to suggest that nearly a full year of restrictions on civil liberties would result in the French electing the far right to the Presidency...

Let's please stop pretending that we can carry on like this once the vaccine is rolled out to the general population before the 'cure' becomes so much worse than the virus, for so many reasons yet to come to light.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yep. Kids are bored acting up, me and the wifes tempers are slowly unravelling and that's with me still working full time and doing extra when I can, so christ knows what it's like on furlough or WFH, not to mention those whose businesses are having to forecast for the post furlough period with nothing but fucking doom coming from media and gov.

Iv said it before, Honest man said it earlier but il say it again as it feeds into your point, come about March il be going back to mixing with whoever I want. Whichever of my pals are of a similar mind il be meeting up with them and getting family round mine etc. I dont say this lightly and in recent weeks I have actually tightened up my compliance (which has never been bad by any stretch) but I have about another months worth of patience for this, and their pathetic, mewling patter.

Il be taking something back, a fraction of what I would like though it may be, because I can tell now that before too long my head is going to unravel.

My dads 70 next month, I didn’t go up at Christmas as I thought it daft, but I’ve been off work (mental health’s fucked in no small part to the isolation of being a single parent in lockdown) and as it happens kids won’t be at their two days school as feb weekend so almost full fortnight isolation before we would travel. 
I’m seriously considering it.

I was going back up and go when lockdown two was announced but I got offered hub places two days a week. Made all difference to kids having that bit of time with friends.

It is absolutely not sustainable to keep perpetually never ending restrictions and never will you have anything otter than overwhelming public opinion that it isn't. 

I still fully believe we are at the point of them scaring people into compliance through their own fear of people not taking it seriously and in the early to mid spring, the rhetoric will magically begin to get gradually more sunny in its disposition. 

This is understandable to an extent but going far, far too heavy on the pessimism to the extent where it is actively causing people overwhelming angst or having normally rational people beginning to actually quation if there is an ulterior motive. It's a very dangerous tactic to be playing and testing people's resolve. 

Edited by djchapsticks

It is absolutely not sustainable to keep perpetually never ending restrictions and never will you have anything otter than overwhelming public opinion that it isn't. 
I still fully believe we are at the point of them scaring people into compliance through their own fear of people not taking it seriously and in the early to mid spring, the rhetoric will magically begin to get gradually more sunny in its disposition. 
This is understandable to an extent but going far, far too heavy on the pessimism to the extent where it is actively causing people overwhelming angst or having normally rational people beginning to actually quation if there is an ulterior motive. It's a very dangerous tactic to be playing. 
Yeah, I will admit finding myself thinking in ever more conspiratorial undertones and that's not me at all.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv said it before, Honest man said it earlier but il say it again as it feeds into your point, come about March il be going back to mixing with whoever I want. Whichever of my pals are of a similar mind il be meeting up with them and getting family round mine etc. I dont say this lightly and in recent weeks I have actually tightened up my compliance (which has never been bad by any stretch) but I have about another months worth of patience for this, and their pathetic, mewling patter.

It's about looking at the numbers and applying judgment to the risk. Inverclyde was three times higher in cases at the post-Christmas peak = steer clear of the shops where possible; avoiding non-essential public transport; contactless delivery etc. Once it's back to tier 2-3 levels - which it's well on its way now - then it'll be back to tier 2-3 levels of vigilance. 

My partner is a sole trading hairdresser who is newly self employed. Becuase she doesn't have a business premises and works from a separate facility in our garden, she cannot claim any sort of relief whatsoever. She is fully registered and insured as well as compliant with regulations but has not worked a scratch from the first week in December other than the two weeks in December she was allowed when lockdown was eased. 

She is expected to close under duress and because she is not a business premesis no relief provided for her sacrifice. I understand the need to close presently but do not understand why she cannot be helped in terms of relief. If she's important and high risk enough to be forced to close then surely she should also qualify for help. We are lucky to have a very modest amount of savings but this is going to wipe us out in very quick time. If we reach March and she is still forced to close without any sort of relief, what are we supposed to do to pay our mortgage and bills? It's fucking ridiculous to be made to feel like you are a massive criminal and are making some sort of morally corrupt choice by considering whether you cut someone's hair or not. 

That is where we are as a society right now. People the length and breadth of the country made to feel like criminals for wanting to survive. This cannot continue. 

33 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Is anyone else finding it really hard to feel positive or optimistic right now? NS would do well to try and use some positivity in her messaging, if this negativity continues a lot more people will hit f**k it.

Ever since we started vaccinations it's been bad news after bad news, and trying to generate compliance through fear mongering isn't going to help rational discussion going forward.

I just tell myself it's not the siege of Leningrad or Sarajevo and that it's just a wee horrible bug and not thousands of Nazi b*****ds trying to bomb me to hell every night.

Probably banal platitudes but it gets me through the day.

Yeah, I will admit finding myself thinking in ever more conspiratorial undertones and that's not me at all.

I'm the exact same. There's been a few instances where I've been watching the news or whatever and I've gone on a bit of a rant to the missus. It's not until I hear myself say certain things out loud that I realise how ridiculous I'm (probably) being.

I'm absolutely nowhere near the "covid is a hoax" level of being a mad b*****d but, particularly in recent weeks, I've found myself questioning things more and more. I just can't fathom how the news has been almost exclusively negative pretty much since the day the first vaccine was approved.

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Turns out the vaccine does not offer 100% protection after the first dose. Who could have guessed a CEO would talk up his own company's product?

I mean, if you're talking about the AZ vaccine (which I assume you are as you're directly referencing the AZ tweet from earlier) , then the tweet you're quoting is a load of shite given that the 2nd dose delay is not applicable to the AZ vaccine. The recommended 'sweet spot' for 2nd AZ vaccine is 8-12 weeks which falls directly within the current 2nd dose plan. 

Edited by djchapsticks

1 minute ago, Forest_Fifer said:
5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Turns out the vaccine does not offer 100% protection after the first dose. Who could have guessed a CEO would talk up his own company's product?

Did anyone ever say at any point that it did?

Yeah, in this very thread today, CEO of Astra Zeneca, and I was slated for questioning it.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, if you're talking about the AZ vaccine, then the tweet you're quoting is a load of shite given that the 2nd dose delay is not applicable to the AZ vaccine. The recommended 'sweet spot' for 2nd AZ vaccine is 8-12 weeks which falls directly within the current 2nd dose plan. 

I didn't mention that at all. It was alleged on here today it offered 100% protection after one dose. 

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah, in this very thread today, CEO of Astra Zeneca, and I was slated for questioning it.

Yeah he didn't say that, though.

It's no surprise, however, that someone who thinks zero = some struggles with numbers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

The CEO of Astra Zeneca was posting on this thread?  That's a turn up.  Is he a Falkirk fan?