Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Maybe i've gotten this wrong, but my understanding is that deaths among those vaccinated is almost zero.
The efficacy rate is the percentage of those vaccinated who are prevented from catching covid altogether.
All the data so far is pointing towards pretty much all of those who do still contract it following being vaccinated having, at worst, mild - moderate illness.
This appears to be the case in Israel so far so hopefully it's the same here despite what the scientists think could happen. Again I suspect we won't even start to get any idea until October or November.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe i've gotten this wrong, but my understanding is that deaths among those vaccinated is almost zero.

The efficacy rate is the percentage of those vaccinated who are prevented from catching covid altogether.

All the data so far is pointing towards pretty much all of those who do still contract it following being vaccinated having, at worst, mild - moderate illness.

Imagine the flu vaccine had that efficacy.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This appears to be the case in Israel so far so hopefully it's the same here despite what the scientists think could happen. Again I suspect we won't even start to get any idea until October or November.

I suspect we will get a pretty good idea much quicker than that tbh. Perhaps as early as late April / May.

I just hope that they don't then move the goalposts again and claim we need to wait and see what happens in the Winter before we can read anything into the figures.

Edited by Todd_is_God

The irony is that these idiots who believe that they're giving NS and the SG a hard time are in fact boosting their profile with their sheer idiotic questioning and politicising of a dire situation.
Let's be honest, if that was the best you had to offer then you'd just keep your mouth shut.
Of course the biggest indictment is that these clowns are allegedly "professionals" and actually get paid for this !!!
And now a p***k from the Express says "has the small ray of sunlight disappeared behind the clouds again" because test positivity had "crept back above 6 again".

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

People need to have a breather and cannot work 7 days every week. If the Sunday figures are lower than other days but we're hitting 400k plus over the course of a week then I don't think it matters too much if it's split into 7 equal numbers.

Any more sensible posts like that and you will be in green territory (as in wee dots)

Edited by Caledonian1

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
The irony is that these idiots who believe that they're giving NS and the SG a hard time are in fact boosting their profile with their sheer idiotic questioning and politicising of a dire situation.
Let's be honest, if that was the best you had to offer then you'd just keep your mouth shut.
Of course the biggest indictment is that these clowns are allegedly "professionals" and actually get paid for this !!!

And now a p***k from the Express says "has the small ray of sunlight disappeared behind the clouds again" because test positivity had "crept back above 6 again".

It's the Express, par for the course. I can't believe people who read that rag actually make it into old age given the paper seems to exist to anger its own readership on a daily basis. Must be responsible for a fair percentage of aneurysms. 

Might keep the apocalyptic FREEZING ARCTIC BLASTS/ DEEP FREEZE headlines off the front page for a day. 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I suspect we will get a pretty good idea much quicker than that tbh. Perhaps as early as late April / May.

Absolutely but winter will be crucial. I don't envisage any issues in Summer due to the natural lack of cases we saw last year.

I just edited my post to add a bit in about winter.

Tbh I don't think that should be entertained. What happens then, if they remain low? Do the goal posts move to "we don't know how long the vaccine offers protection for?" and we go round in circles again?

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Labour chubster on BBC Scotland still saying Scotland are lagging behind the rest of the UK in terms of vaccinations, is this still true or is he talking mince?

This will change from day to day, frankly i think all the home nations should be applauded as I'd say they're all "winners" in the vaccine "race", but of course these idiots have nothing better to do than make out someone has "failed".

Basically it's a case of "nothing to see here".

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Labour chubster on BBC Scotland still saying Scotland are lagging behind the rest of the UK in terms of vaccinations, is this still true or is he talking mince?

In terms of absolute numbers, yes. In term of 7 day average rate, no.

Screenshot_20210208-130023_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210208-130056_Opera.jpg

32 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Perhaps GP's should be open then, they need to take steps to make it a 7 day operation.

What's actually special about it being 7 days?

There are a finite number of staff and therefore staff hours for administering vaccines. A significant proportion of those involved work Mon-Fri. Shifting things around so that GPs surgeries are open Sat-Sun does not increase the number of hours available. All you'd be doing is increasing weekend numbers and decreasing weekday numbers.

The only route to a faster pace is more resources. Of course more of a good thing is good. That's self-evident.

36 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

This is embarrassing....he asks two questions irrelevant questions then his wee made up question is pointless....and followed  by another journalist asking about over 80's who have slipped through the net - what do they do - Nicola et all have said for weeks that they should immediately contact their GP....not go to a journalist.  The Journalist in this country are shocking

I'm constantly amazed that they find the number for a news desk but miss the helpline or don't think to phone the NHS first. 

Just now, Gordon EF said:

What's actually special about it being 7 days?

There are a finite number of staff and therefore staff hours for administering vaccines. A significant proportion of those involved work Mon-Fri. Shifting things around so that GPs surgeries are open Sat-Sun does not increase the number of hours available. All you'd be doing is increasing weekend numbers and decreasing weekday numbers.

The only route to a faster pace is more resources. Of course more of a good thing is good. That's self-evident.

We should have a programme that is 7 days a week, consistently.  Let's get GP practices upto speed on a 7 day operation (IF that is the reason why figures on a Sunday lag).

That can only be beneficial.