Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, 101 said:

I'm constantly amazed that they find the number for a news desk but miss the helpline or don't think to phone the NHS first. 

What sort of sad f*ck actually phones a newspaper these days to complain anyway?  (apart from when your snowman is decapitated).

5 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

We should have a programme that is 7 days a week, consistently.  Let's get GP practices upto speed on a 7 day operation (IF that is the reason why figures on a Sunday lag).

That can only be beneficial.

I've just explained why it isn't though. Unless you have more staff hours, you cannot increase capacity. Closing GP surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays and opening them Saturday and Sunday just so that the figures across the seven days of the week look more even is utterly pointless.

Edited by Gordon EF

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

What sort of sad f*ck actually phones a newspaper these days to complain anyway?  (apart from when your snowman is decapitated).

Old folk usually. Speaking as someone who answers the phone to them.

Sometimes I actually think we get calls from older people, living alone, who are just looking for a chat. That's not a pandemic thing either. They just want a bit of company or somewhere to have a rant. A bit like we use this place.

We should have a programme that is 7 days a week, consistently.  Let's get GP practices upto speed on a 7 day operation (IF that is the reason why figures on a Sunday lag).
That can only be beneficial.

I’m going to guess you missed the reasoning above, but to paraphrase and summarise:

1. GP practices need to operate as normal through the week
2. They set up weekend clinics (overtime).
3. Most of these are a Saturday
4. Are you expecting them all just to work 7 days a week, without break?
5. What’s your plan to deal with the staff burnout and sick days such a plan would result in?

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

I've just explained why it isn't though. Unless you have more staff hours, you cannot increase capacity. Closing GP surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays and opening them Saturday and Sunday just so that the figures across the seven days of the week look more even is utterly pointless.

It would be a negative as you would be waiting to vaccinate people rather than doing it earlier in the week for no reason other than optics. You would be exposing people to unnecessary risks by making them wait until the Sunday instead of eg Thursday.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Yeah offer overtime, increase hours, train volunteers etc (hopefully that is happening).  I mean, it's not as if we're in the middle of a pandemic which takes the weekend off.

Point is, they shouldn't be closed at all and steps need to be taken to find ways of upping the Sunday lag.  It increased this week, hopefully see further increases next week.

2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I’m going to guess you missed the reasoning above, but to paraphrase and summarise:

1. GP practices need to operate as normal through the week
2. They set up weekend clinics (overtime).
3. Most of these are a Saturday
4. Are you expecting them all just to work 7 days a week, without break?
5. What’s your plan to deal with the staff burnout and sick days such a plan would result in?

Yeah, we're in a pandemic.  We need to adapt to that and get people vaccinated.

Then again, perhaps we shouldn't question and just accept it.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Yeah offer overtime, increase hours, train volunteers etc (hopefully that is happening).  I mean, it's not as if we're in the middle of a pandemic which takes the weekend off.

Point is, they shouldn't be closed at all and steps need to be taken to find ways of upping the Sunday lag.  It increased this week, hopefully see further increases next week.

Like i said, of course just "doing more" is going to be good. It's always easy to say, always much harder to do. Whether we increased capacity by 10k per weekday or 7.1k across all seven days wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference though.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

You dinna give up do you?

I just hope that your appointment for a jag is on a Sunday  (I am sure they will postpone it from the previous Monday just to satisfy you)

Just now, Gordon EF said:

Like i said, of course just "doing more" is going to be good. It's always easy to say, always much harder to do. Whether we increased capacity by 10k per weekday or 7.1k across all seven days wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference though.

I'm not claiming it's easy, and hopefully steps are being taken.  Neither am I suggesting the capcity is reduced the other 6 days.  If it's 10k Mon-Sat, then isn't it reasonable to try and get Sunday to 10k as well?  I think that might be beneficical in the coming months if we give it a bash.

26 minutes ago, RiG said:

Looks like that clap for Sir Tom will push the Tories above 45%.

I suppose it's typical of the UK that the party that badly fucked everything up in the beginning leading to restrictions having to be put on and then fucked up again and again leading to restrictions having to be put on again and again just has to say "oh, we'll lessen the restrictions" and everyone votes for them. 

gettyimages-1157399160_wide-2dba9baaf34c3698802276744501ed10d56fef8b.thumb.jpg.54d0a26b3330605fd0664febc4d7caf5.jpg

Posted at 12:21

South Korean capital to test cats and dogs

image.gif.7889aad8085fce3db3a64e7c57cd3ca7.gif
ReutersCopyright: Reuters
Only pets who show symptoms will be given a testImage caption: Only pets who show symptoms will be given a test

Cats and dogs will be tested for Covid-19 if they display symptoms, the city government of South Korea’s capital says.

The testing programme in Seoul comes several weeks after the country reported its first Covid-19 case involving a pet - a kitten in the south-eastern city of Jinju.

Only cats and dogs exhibiting symptoms, such as fever, coughing and breathing difficulties, will be given a test.

If a pet tests positive, they will be required to isolate at their owner’s home for 14 days.

"Please keep your dogs at least two metres away from people and other pets when walking them, and strictly follow antivirus measures," Park Yoo-mi, a disease control official at the city government, said.

A number of animals around the world, including tigers, gorillas and mink, have tested positive for the coronavirus during the pandemic.

But infectious disease experts say there is no evidence animals play a significant role in spreading the virus that causes Covid-19.

At the moment, there are no known cases of pets passing the coronavirus to humans. The probability of this is considered low.

Humanity is losing its mind.

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

You dinna give up do you?

I just hope that your appointment for a jag is on a Sunday  (I am sure they will postpone it from the previous Monday just to satisfy you)

What exactly is that supposed to mean?  I'll happilly have an appointment on Sunday at 03.00 if needs be. What a stoopid comment.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It would be a negative as you would be waiting to vaccinate people rather than doing it earlier in the week for no reason other than optics. You would be exposing people to unnecessary risks by making them wait until the Sunday instead of eg Thursday.

Yep, given that you'd have to switch to Tue-Thu days off after a weekend off to avoid eveyrone working 7 days straight, you would literally have to contact people and say don't bother coming in this Tuesday, your jag will now be the following Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not claiming it's easy, and hopefully steps are being taken.  Neither am I suggesting the capcity is reduced the other 6 days.  If it's 10k Mon-Sat, then isn't it reasonable to try and get Sunday to 10k as well?  I think that might be beneficical in the coming months if we give it a bash.

Why not go 100k Sunday instead?

20 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's fine to question. But you asked the question, you've been given the answer and you're ignoring it and just keeping on asking the question.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that isn't something people should be doing.

Edited by Gordon EF