Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
29 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
Forced quarantine for all arrivals to Scotland. Elite sport exemption for elite sports will only apply to Olympic / Paralympic athletes.

Excellent trolling of Rangers by the government.

Euros ???

If these restrictions are still in place in June we've got much bigger problems than that.

30 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Forced quarantine for all arrivals to Scotland. Elite sport exemption for elite sports will only apply to Olympic / Paralympic athletes.

Excellent trolling of Rangers by the government.

I'm sure a letter to Her Most Britannic Majesties Government is in the post. 

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

If these restrictions are still in place in June we've got much bigger problems than that.

I don't think we'll have the restrictions but will others be allowed to travel here ??

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm wondering if this has been slightly misreported and only refers to elite sport training camp exemptions rather than the exemptions for actual matches. I can't see them essentially putting in place a policy which fucks Scotland's 6 Nations chances over and also basically eliminates Rangers from the Europa League without at least having discussed it with the relevant authorities.

That would be peak Scotland.  Get some optimism back after a few years then bam.

I'm wondering if this has been slightly misreported and only refers to elite sport training camp exemptions rather than the exemptions for actual matches. I can't see them essentially putting in place a policy which fucks Scotland's 6 Nations chances over and also basically eliminates Rangers from the Europa League without at least having discussed it with the relevant authorities.

This is indeed correct. Only changes relate to training camps, not matches.

44 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

These days, if you publically claim a company is operated as a scam (criminal) enterprise with no supporting evidence, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

That this is treated as a free speech issue is, frankly, stupid

I enjoyed the take that the legal system somehow operates independently of "the real world" like it's fucking Narnia or something

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Wouldn't the fact they have specifically exempted Olympic/Paralympic athletes suggest these restrictions could be here until they are scheduled ???

Possibly, but usually Olympic and Paralympic athletes would have several training camps months in advance.  Probably to help acclimatise if the olympics are taking place somewhere especially warm and humid (like Japan). 

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

Possibly, but usually Olympic and Paralympic athletes would have several training camps months in advance.  Probably to help acclimatise if the olympics are taking place somewhere especially warm and humid (like Japan). 

Some participants have to go abroad to train/practice.  Any hand gun shooting type.

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I enjoyed the take that the legal system somehow operates independently of "the real world" like it's fucking Narnia or something

I think that theory would meet a brick wall when your "real world" punch to the face resulted in a "theoretical" huckling into the back of a van by the police 

8 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Not seen this mentioned elsewhere,  Sridhar has spoken............

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-overseas-holidays-until-october-says-top-scientist-bvblt23zr

To be fair, that's more or less what NS has been saying / insinuating for the past few weeks.

It remains to be seen what direction the UK Gov takes as although not ruling out summer holidays they've adopted the populist over promise approach throughout, so it really could go either way.

Much will depend on public opinion and whether or not the vaccines are appearing to be successful  or not, if they are successful then it will be very difficult to provide a rationale for continued restrictions on overseas travel, although much will also depend on the restrictions at the "other side" as it were.

There's little doubt that they'll go down the carrot and stick route, where they'll be giving us the "trade off" of opening things up here but will need to "sacrifice" overseas travel as a result.

It shouldn't be "one or the other" but that looks like what is going to happen.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

To be fair, that's more or less what NS has been saying / insinuating for the past few weeks.

It remains to be seen what direction the UK Gov takes as although not ruling out summer holidays they've adopted the populist over promise approach throughout, so it really could go either way.

Much will depend on public opinion and whether or not the vaccines are appearing to be successful  or not, if they are successful then it will be very difficult to provide a rationale for continued restrictions on overseas travel, although much will also depend on the restrictions at the "other side" as it were.

There's little doubt that they'll go down the carrot and stick route, where they'll be giving us the "trade off" of opening things up here but will need to "sacrifice" overseas travel as a result.

It shouldn't be "one or the other" but that looks like what is going to happen.

As you say, if we get to the point in June/July and some of the usual Euro destinations are open (with caveats) to UK travellers, it's going to be hard to justify a travel ban particularly if numbers here are rock bottom.

It's worrying though that NS says it's one of her biggest regrets that she didn't shut down summer last year, and with Sridhar in her ear, it looks bleak.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

That’s me got my first jab.  Chose the Pfizer one, didn’t think there’d be a choice tbh.

The woman who administered it said the place had been very busy despite the snow.

You got a choice ???