Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Genuine question, but why? If you're not getting to travel no matter what, why would it matter if a 70 year old gets to travel or not?

This - I can’t travel so no one else should either!

Bearing in mind numerous people in the vaccinated age groups haven’t left the house and many of those vaccinated are NHS staff who have worked like f**k the entire pandemic, I don’t think they can be grudged a holiday over others.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

This - I can’t travel so no one else should either!

Bearing in mind numerous people in the vaccinated age groups haven’t left the house and many of those vaccinated are NHS staff who have worked like f**k the entire pandemic, I don’t think they can be grudged a holiday over others.

It's the exact same attitude of the older folk who don't want anything getting better for younger folk "cos they never got that".

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:
I have a friend who is a teacher. He's signed up for it, but was saying to me it was voluntary, rather than mandatory, to do so.
You also manually enter the details onto a portal yourself.
I know everything is open to abuse, but that doesn't seem like a particularly watertight system.

Not just teachers, senior pupils too.

I wonder what the uptake from senior pupils on the non-mandatory testing will be. My guess would be incredibly low.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I wonder what the uptake from senior pupils on the non-mandatory testing will be. My guess would be incredibly low.

Depends if they want an extra couple of weeks off or not. Won't do them any harm - as a group they are set to receive another massively inflated grade anyway.

54 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Presumably this (or the original graph from the research paper released last week) has already been posted here but if not...

vyh37k4oqlh61.jpeg

Suggests that deaths and hospital admissions should have dropped below the none vaccine modelled value by 20% by now. Wondering if they are seeing that?

Regarding yesterday's caseload. What was going on in West Lothian? - according to Travelling Tabby there was 106 cases there yesterday. For reference, next door in Edinburgh (population 500k odds) was 43.

Edited by renton

Regarding yesterday's caseload. What was going on in West Lothian? - according to Travelling Tabby there was 106 cases there yesterday. For reference, next door in Edinburgh (population 500k odds) was 43.
There was a mobile testing unit in Blackburn over the weekend. They have been there off and on over the last 6 months but not seen them recently until this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
8 minutes ago, renton said:

There was a mobile testing unit in Blackburn over the weekend. They have been there off and on over the last 6 months but not seen them recently until this weekend.

I needed to get a Covid test for my son last week and the closest drive through place to Edinburgh was given as the centre in Blackburn.  Not sure what's going on with the airport.  We eventually took him to a walk-in centre in Wester Hailes.

8 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
14 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, I wonder if Leitch and Co are factoring in their mobile testing and lateral flow test programmes when talking about stalling case numbers. That is likely to stall or increase R in the short term.

The public and the weather will decide when lockdown ends. I think the governments know this and as the weather improves so will the dropping of restrictions. If the vaccine is as effective as Isreal are saying I reckon by the end of March/early April we will be back to all shops, pubs, eateries and local holidays happening but with the usual social distancing caveat till around May when the top 9 grous are finished.

Honestly I’ll wear a mask, social distance etc for as long as it takes - these for me are easy to do if it means a form of normality

The SG getting pelters this morning for not making sure hospital patients whom are within the age range for vaccination are vaccinated. Hospital patients being forgotten about despite people catching the virus while they are there.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/relatives-demand-answers-after-elderly-23500872
I would be interested in what the reality is - the Record has been running these anecdotal stories for ages about people missing out on the vaccine.

Just now, renton said:

Aye, I wonder if Leitch and Co are factoring in their mobile testing and lateral flow test programmes when talking about stalling case numbers. That is likely to stall or increase R in the short term.

Pretty sure the R rate takes into consideration the "hidden" virus, the more testing you do the more accurate the R rate will be especially as the teaching and pupil testing will be pretty much detecting background levels until there is an outbreak at a school in which case you can react faster.

2 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Honestly I’ll wear a mask, social distance etc for as long as it takes - these for me are easy to do if it means a form of normality

Sorry, what? Social distancing essentially stops almost everything from happening. It’s essentially removes human contact entirely.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Pretty sure the R rate takes into consideration the "hidden" virus, the more testing you do the more accurate the R rate will be especially as the teaching and pupil testing will be pretty much detecting background levels until there is an outbreak at a school in which case you can react faster.

Do the lateral flow tests get counted in the test total, or is the case that a positive lateral flow result gets sent for a PCR test? 

Just now, renton said:

Do the lateral flow tests get counted in the test total, or is the case that a positive lateral flow result gets sent for a PCR test? 

Good question, not sure I would imagine they only count the PCR test and the others are pretty inaccurate

5 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

No they aren't. It simply isn't possible to have any meaningful form of normality whilst maintaining SD and masks.