Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Some people genuinely turn on the briefing and expect NS to say “that’s the boozers and the gyms open from tomorrow” don’t they?

No

Some people just want an acknowledgement that we are in nothing like the situation we were in during March/April last year and want some kind of positivity that they can look forward to doing a multitude of normal everyday things in a couple of months time. 

A haircut, a walk into a shop, having someone round for a cup of tea, going to a football game, going to the pictures and yes even having a pint with friends. 

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I would probably say around the same. I absolutely get that it’s really frustrating but I think @Paco put it really well a few pages back, that our expectations at the moment are unrealistic given the stage we are at with the vaccination programme and that the vaccine takes time to have some effect.  

I haven't seen anyone on here with unrealistic expectations. Basically no one here is suggesting we open things next week, other than some education. There have been zero signals however that Sturgeon is working towards "normality" come Summer. It's been only stick and no carrot for months, despite vaccines which seem to reduce almost 100% of Covid  deaths/hospitalisations. Her speech today was completely unacceptable. 

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

I haven't seen anyone on here with unrealistic expectations. Basically no one here is suggesting we open things next week, other than some education. There have been zero signals however that Sturgeon is working towards "normality" come Summer. It's been only stick and no carrot for months, despite vaccines which seem to reduce almost 100% of Covid  deaths/hospitalisations. Her speech today was completely unacceptable. 

Really? People on here are moaning about not being able to do things by mid-March. This place is the poster-child of unrealistic expectations.

This place is full of fucking zoomers, how on earth can so many have a heads gone at that announcement, we've known for weeks what she was going to announce. 

If anything she gave wee glimmers that weren't expected, 

My partner has now not traded for 12 weeks aside for 2 weeks before xmas. Despite being a hairdresser, she is not eligible for any type of help due to only becoming self employed in Sept 2020 and we've been told there is no sort of financial assitance going to become avaialble to her any time soon. 
I've tried the local MSP and Business Gateway to try and find some sort of loophole to try and get a bit of support for her and have been told they are 'disappointed' there's nothing forthcoming. 
I'd love to know what sort of incentive she now has to stay closed instead of just going 'f**k it' and working on the downlow. Because to be perfectly honest, that's now where we are as I feel we're having 2 fingers stuck up at us every time we ask to be treated on a par with other businesses in her sector. 

Not sure if this is relevant to your situation or not but I'm sure someone I know being the sole director of her own company managed to put herself down as an employee of her own company and got herself furlough after a few months.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Really? People on here are moaning about not being able to do things by mid-March. This place is the poster-child of unrealistic expectations.

Try next week not Mid-March..

1 minute ago, Forest_Fifer said:
1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
f**k sake. So incompetence isnt a reason not to vote for a party.

Have any of the other parties said that they would do things differently? At a basic level that is.

Not on the easing of restrictions but you only have to look at a few posts before this to see that John Swinney's handling of the exams has been called into serious question, bordering on incompetence.  

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

The point about israel is correct. They don't seem to be rushing back and they're miles ahead of us in this process 

They are doing a domestic Covid passport thing where if you are vaccinated or officially recovered you get a pass to go the gym, restaurants, hotels etc 

They have a large number of vaccine hesitant people though so they might well struggle to get to herd immunity. 

16 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

That's because they stopped letting people wander straight off aircraft from around the world and onto public transport and into cities. Similar to many other countries that have managed to control it locally. 

Another thing not questioned and for what benefit? Hard to put a figure on the excess deaths this has caused we could all be at the football now or in pubs but somehow having no control at ports was deemed a good idea.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

This place is full of fucking zoomers, how on earth can so many have a heads gone at that announcement, we've known for weeks what she was going to announce. 

She said the best case scenario for this summer is last summer which is absolute shite and a strong sign that we will have another winter lockdown. 

Some interesting bits in this times of Israel article 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/two-thirds-of-eligible-israelis-have-received-at-least-1-dose-of-covid-vaccine/

Vaccine process slowed down, so incentives offered in the form of free food, incentives for employees to get jagged from their work, and offer to open shit up to those who have been vaccinated. 

This means that personal data and stuff has to be released to the govt. 

They also reckon 90% need both jags before they can even consider having reached herd immunity. IMAGINE the heads gone material on here if Leitch (The Dentist) or Sturgeon came out with that line 😂 And that's in a country where 66% have had one dose and 43% both (I think only Pfizer) 

Edited by madwullie

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

People generally want to be able to leave the house by the end of March. Parts of Scotland have cases of around 50, given hospital numbers will be far lower by then I don’t think that is remotely unrealistic. Not forgetting many of us have basically been in a lockdown since fucking October. 

4 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I have literally no idea what these wee glimmers were. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

unfortunately an individual can if the household has earnings

Yeh and that's the wider problem with the system.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean, she works in a salon in our backdoor that we took a loan out to have built in the summer and the back garden is pretty secluded and at the end of a cul-de-sac with no through traffic. 

There are precious few eyes on the place. We agreed she could stay closed though out of respect and on the basis that a bit of help would be coming as she's a sole trader. 

That hope is extinguished though. 

I guess it depends how okay your neighbours are if they want to grass you in you're up shit creek sadly. Hopefully it's resolved quickly mate and the rough start to your wife's business doesn't stop if flourishing down the line!

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Their priority for schools will be to get Senior pupils into start and complete the amended SQA assessments - at a push we could put off going back until after the Easter holidays - any later and it will be impossible to meet even the revised deadline date for estimates.

Swinney's coat is on a shoogly peg for sure.

clearly not if P1-3 are going in first to sit their finger painting exams.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

People generally want to be able to leave the house by the end of March. Parts of Scotland have cases of around 50, given hospital numbers will be far lower by then I don’t think that is remotely unrealistic. Not forgetting many of us have basically been in a lockdown since fucking October. 

I have literally no idea what these wee glimmers were. 

The numbers are principally lower because we’ve been in a lockdown for ages now. Opening up at this stage will just see them go up again without enough people vaccinated to protect against serious infection.