Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

But again, she hasn't said anything even approaching that. Literally zero messaging along the lines of "Once around 50-70% of our adult population have received either first or second dose of possibly the greatest set of vaccines ever created in the history of the Earth, we will quickly lift restrictions and life can be extremely domestically normal." 

You want Boris Johnson in other words, to tell us we're world beating and about to send the virus packing?

That worked a treat.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

She said the best case scenario for this summer is last summer which is absolute shite and a strong sign that we will have another winter lockdown. 

I genuinely don't think we will have another winter lockdown.

7 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

This place is full of fucking zoomers, how on earth can so many have a heads gone at that announcement, we've known for weeks what she was going to announce. 

If anything she gave wee glimmers that weren't expected, 

You’re totally missing the point.

Nicola Sturgeon said we are taking a more cautious approach to lockdown than last year, last year we came out when we were getting less than 10 cases a day IIRC, we are currently at around 800 or so.

In autumn we were allowed to do loads of things if our case numbers were under 150 per 100,000 within your region.

Nicola Sturgeon also said we may go back into lockdown again later next year, so that’s us being told that even though we are vaccinating the population and getting better at treating the virus, we are in the same place as a year ago and in all likelihood this winter will be as bleak as the last.

I apologise if it’s wrong of me for that to really get me down, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel here, no suggestion we’ll get back to the football anytime in the next year, no suggestion of any live music, no suggestion of being able to go to the pub and interact with anyone outwith your table, based on what she said today we’ll probably get a 3 month window over summer where we can have others round to your house and then we’ll go back to living in our bubbles again, for myself, that’s rubbish for not seeing friends but I also have an elderly grandparent that is terminally ill and in all likelihood from today’s announcement I am coming to terms with the fact I’ll not really be able to spend any time with him before he passes away.

Apologies if that makes me a zoomer, pal.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

You want Boris Johnson in other words, to tell us we're world beating and about to send the virus packing?

That worked a treat.

Do you react with such childishness to anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint?

I cannot fathom current public messaging being "If we're lucky we will get a summer like last year". That is disgusting. 

If the roadmap is comprehensive and positive, I'll be happy, but still won't understand the tone of today's speech. 

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Do you react with such childishness to anyone who disagrees with your viewpoint?

I cannot fathom current public messaging being "If we're lucky we will get a summer like last year". That is disgusting. 

If the roadmap is comprehensive and positive, I'll be happy, but still won't understand the tone of today's speech. 

Sorry, but I don't see what's childish about keeping the head amidst an explosion of tantrums.

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

We won't even be getting that.  it hasn't been officially banned yet but all the messaging is saying international travel is off the table.  that was allowed last summer.  If that's a trade off (as was mentioned today) what can we expect in return?

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The numbers are principally lower because we’ve been in a lockdown for ages now. Opening up at this stage will just see them go up again without enough people vaccinated to protect against serious infection.

Yup, I agree - however the end of March is six weeks away and I think some cautious movement should be expected by then. 

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Sorry, but I don't see what's childish about keeping the head amidst an explosion of tantrums.

The amount of tantrums I've seen you have about UEFA coefficients and you're going to be a condescending p***k about us all being locked in our houses with no end in sight?

Just now, Left Back said:

We won't even be getting that.  it hasn't been officially banned yet but all the messaging is saying international travel is off the table.  that was allowed last summer.  If that's a trade off (as was mentioned today) what can we expect in return?

Indeed. I mean don't get me started on foreign travel bans because of tha variants dontcha know, which happen to be popping up here by themselves every 4 days. Laughable strategy.

But anyway, yes, if you're going to sacrifice holidays when people haven't had a break in over a year, you'd think the payoff would be huge domestically. Her messaging is that it isn't. Depressing. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The amount of tantrums I've seen you have about UEFA coefficients and you're going to be a condescending p***k about us all being locked in our houses with no end in sight?

Are you questioning how I prioritise things?

An outrageous slur.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm pretty confident any proceedings that requires them to present their evidence for the ongoing restrictions would leave them on very shaky ground.

I wonder how many people who are confident about how court cases will play out end up being very disappointed.

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Yup, I agree - however the end of March is six weeks away and I think some cautious movement should be expected by then. 

I think we’ll probably start to see that, I think the schools going back is the start of that. 

The main thing is that you don’t want the virus levels going up again because on top of the NHS, we don’t want those involved in delivering the vaccines to be getting Covid, i.e those who transport it, give injections etc. 

I actually think what Boris said the other night is probably true (which I am sure for him was an accident) that they want this to be the last lockdown. Sensible politicians won’t say it for sure because it’s too early for those kind of guarantees and they will need the ability of something goes wrong, but I believe that will be the plan of all the UK nations. 

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Schools back full time in August

I don't really understand the message of "we may need to go back into lockdown later in the year" tbqh.

Even allowing for a slow easing of restrictions, pretty much everyone over 18 will have had at least 1 vaccine dose by around September time, with the most vulnerable groups long since had both.

There is currently no fathomable scenario where a further lockdown later in the year would be required, therefore that type of messaging is completely unnecessary.

I genuinely feel that they are so engrossed in, and blinded by, covid as a result of focusing on nothing else for 11 months that they are totally detached from the mental damage their words are causing people.

It's become almost like a game to them.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I kind of agree, I don’t think she said anything that was not basically what i was expecting.

The summer staycation was actually interesting because I think hotels and the like are probably near the end of things to open up - that largely suggests to me that they think most things will be fully back and (maybe with a few precautions like masks etc) mostly like normal. 

The caution is because there are things (the availability of the Pfizer vaccine for example) that could cause that to go off course.  We are still not anywhere near enough of the population being vaccinated yet for the kind of change that most folks on here want to see happening now.

We didnt even have any vaccines on the go during the summer of 2020 and the 2021 version is shaping up to be even more shite than that one was. Truly perplexing