Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Don't forget about the roaring binfire their administration has made of handling the pandemic in Wales, with about 17 'this time it's serious!' circuit-breaker lockdowns in the autumn.

Starmer's approach has probably been the worst, as all he does now is offer support for whatever the government says, while bleating for tougher measures about any single element of the response, while also demanding to fire weans into classrooms. If Labour withdrew government support then Johnson would be caught between rebels and the opposition and forced to try and do his job properly: instead he's getting a free pass.

Jackie Baillie was shadow health spokesperson in HR for years, I wonder if she can point out one time she brought up or made a suggestion about pandemic readiness in that post. I'd be prepared to bet decent money she said f**k all about it in her entire time in that job.

Sarah Boyack put in the standard Labour car crash performance on Debate Night last week. Her only suggestions were just do everything more and do everything better. Then she literally said words to the effect of "It's an opposition's job to hold the government to account. That's what Labour will do after the upcoming May elections".

She actually went out of her way to insinuate that that is not what Labour have been doing, are doing, or plan to do up until May.

Spoiler

cbb94ab859916af82cebb61d5add38a8.gif

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Or are you asking why one has a large amount of cases and the other doesn't?

It was the Bi Gal who asked the question I just couldn't be arsed quoting that big post. 

It's a daft question. Surely anyone who is Scottish knows the demographic between Clydebank and Dumbarton compared to Milngavie and Kirkintilloch?

The Bantustan council division in the 90s has a lot to answer for. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Last thing I read said 8 months, possibly longer but we don't know yet. I haven't seen any advances on that yet.

This is what I don't really get in relation to the vaccine passport stories, how related will any of this be, I've got the impression that if you've been vaccinated you'll be able to travel rather than having to get one within the 8 month period which doesn't make much sense to me. Most the oldies that got vaccinated at the start will be all out of immunity by the time people are allowed back out and about at this rate. 

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It was the Bi Gal who asked the question I just couldn't be arsed quoting that big post. 

It's a daft question. Surely anyone who is Scottish knows the demographic between Clydebank and Dumbarton compared to Milngavie and Kirkintilloch?

So one area is a shithole & one is not ?

The East council historically had a similar infection rate to the West

Never had the pleasure of going to Kirkintilloch or Clydebank (Even in the Junior cup) although I do get out of Fife occasionally.

Edited by superbigal

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

The East council historically had a similar infection rate to the West

Never had the pleasure of going to Kirkintilloch or Clydebank although I do get out of Fife occasionally.

Very much a blue collar/white collar work divide. 

And, as a resident of Lenzie in East Dun, we have had indoor lavatories for some time now.  

58 minutes ago, Steven W said:

BBC website. Troubles me that I'm agreeing with Tories on a more frequent basis. But - correct me if I'm wrong - where's this kind of chat from SG?

The UK is "going to have to live with some level" of Covid infection and deaths in the future, according to the Conservative chair of the Science and Technology Committee.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s World at One after hearing evidence from scientists earlier today, MP Greg Clark said: “I don’t think you’re ever going to have a precise figure [for acceptable levels], just as we don’t target a figure for road deaths.

But the key insight from that is that it’s not zero.”

“If we’re going to live with Covid... then we are going to have to live with some level of infection, and not pursue policies that are predicated on completely eradicating it, which is likely to be impossible.”

“It is for Parliament and leaders to indicate through the policy decisions they make, what kind of tolerance they have.

"It’s clearly not zero, otherwise we wouldn’t be driving cars, and we wouldn’t be going out in the winter for fear of flu.”

Far be it from me to agree with a Tory, but that's the sort of thing I want to be hearing up here, an acceptance that pursuing "Zero Covid" is a futile exercise, and we need to get on with living with it like all seasonal respiratory viruses, and have a plan in the unlikely scenario where a new strain completely evades current vaccines.

Just now, Detournement said:

Ah, sorry, didn't realise that was him saying that. You are of course spot on.

Just now, superbigal said:

Pretty much. You get posh folks like @Jan Vojáček (didn't realise @PWL looked down his nose at us too) living in the East whilst scum like me slum it in the West. I do feel WD would be better viewed if that horrible Clydebank mob were moved inside the Glasgow boundary, most of them pretend they're "fae Glesga" anyway. 

Just now, Stormzy said:

This is what I don't really get in relation to the vaccine passport stories, how related will any of this be, I've got the impression that if you've been vaccinated you'll be able to travel rather than having to get one within the 8 month period which doesn't make much sense to me. Most the oldies that got vaccinated at the start will be all out of immunity by the time people are allowed back out and about at this rate. 

I think the reason we only know it works for 8 months is because that's how long we've been studying the response. I think most are expecting/hoping it will last much longer than that. It's already established that we will likely need "booster" shots for vulnerable people like we do with other viruses though, and we have the technology to tweak vaccines for any mutations. 

I'm not really sure what the big problem is with getting a vaccine to travel somewhere though. You already need proof of vaccination to get into certain countries, it might be a bit of a pain but I don't see it as a gamechanger in stopping me going somewhere I want to go.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

The council are claiming the announcement yesterday was that "all mainstream P1-P3 pupils will return from 22nd". It very much wasn't. The announcement was for "all P1-P3 pupils". The council have deliberately input the word "mainstream" into their e-mail to gaslight folk. The word "mainstream" wasn't used in Parliament yesterday.

My friend works in asn school and all way through they’ve felt the guidelines have been very much left to individual schools to interpret, even yesterday.

My friend works in asn school and all way through they’ve felt the guidelines have been very much left to individual schools to interpret, even yesterday.
Falkirk council were already told to wind their necks in on the first return after summer IIRC, as they wanted an extra 2 weeks phased and the govt told them to get back to FT hours.

Have not quite got my head around this new policy and what it is meant to achieve.  Unless it is to the class more 2nd contacts as the new 1st contacts etc etc when said 1st contact does test positive.

Ms Sturgeon says from tomorrow the advice given to close contacts of people who test positive will change.

As well as being asked to isolate for 10 days they will also now be asked to get tested as well.

Edited by superbigal

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Pretty much. You get posh folks like @Jan Vojáček (didn't realise @PWL looked down his nose at us too) living in the East whilst scum like me slum it in the West. I do feel WD would be better viewed if that horrible Clydebank mob were moved inside the Glasgow boundary, most of them pretend they're "fae Glesga" anyway. 

^^^Pleb

Looking at the local stats though, Clydebank is clearly the biggest issue. Punt it into the sea and the problem is solved.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Have not quite got my head around this new policy and what it is meant to achieve.  Unless it is to the class more 2nd contacts as the new 1st contacts etc etc when said 1st contact does test positive.

Ms Sturgeon says from tomorrow the advice given to close contacts of people who test positive will change.

As well as being asked to isolate for 10 days they will also now be asked to get tested as well.

She wants more positive tests.

For me Labour have potentially come out of this in an even worse light than the Tories. They're not in power in either HR or WM so have no real responsibility for anything and all they ever do is constantly carp and moan with pretty much zero constructive suggestions. It's utterly pathetic. Absolute balloons like Jackie Baillie coming away with all this 2020 hindsight when she knows full well that Labour never said anything about it before the pandemic hit and the SG don't even have the full range of powers to deal properly with a pandemic independently anyway. 

Down south they went from questioning the government’s herd immunity response and calling for substantial government support before the furlough scheme was introduced to Starmer’s Jiminy Cricket act and a still utterly bizarre demand to open the schools “no ifs, no buts, no equivocations.”

Genuinely think there’s a decent chance Starmer doesn’t see out the year at this rate.