Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:
Collected my box of tests this morning. Will be testing twice a week due to being in school Monday - Friday.

As more tests become available the actual numbers will possibly remain reasonably high, but as long as the overall percentage reduces and, has been discussed in great detail on here, the hospital figures and ICU + Death figures decline then we should be moving forward and using those as the benchmarks for success.

What's the procedure if you get a +ve LFT , book a PCR for confirmation ?

Yeah. Every test, regardless if positive or negative needs to be logged online and if it is positive then we need to arrange for a follow-up.

46 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Was there any point last year, other than a weird 1 week where the tory ministers went mental, where we were encouraged back to the office? I honestly can barely remember given every day has merged into one these days. Given offices were the first thing closed last time I think, I've absolutely no idea when or if I'll be back in the office at this "cautious" rate. 

There was certainly a week when Johnson et al were massively pushing the back to the office line. Threatening folk with the sack.

Cram on the train 

Save Pret

Avoid the sack. 

Didn't happen up here. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Has the testing of teachers and other school staff started?

Teacher wife came home yesterday with her pack of lateral flow tests. Any positives on those - which are done twice a week - to be confirmed by PCR.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

"Jackie Baillie also focuses on the Audit Scotland report saying it makes clear "a pandemic should have been anticipated"."

Aye, thats right Jackie.....I recall you going on and on about an imminent pandemic for months before anyone had heard of Covid-19...would they listen?

46 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

All close contacts of anyone testing positive now to be tested as a matter of course rather than only needing to test if developing symptoms. Got to keep those positive test numbers up (although moot today's as back over 1100 without this change in policy)

I actually think that's sensible, yes the rate of positivity will increase but if we can identify folk quickly it will stop the spread, I hope the journalists start asking if case positivity will be an indicator for restrictions because once the over 50s are done it really shouldn't.

"Jackie Baillie also focuses on the Audit Scotland report saying it makes clear "a pandemic should have been anticipated"."

Aye, thats right Jackie.....I recall you going on and on about an imminent pandemic for months before anyone had heard of Covid-19...would they listen?
If she was based in England she would be shielding after yesterday's announcement !

6 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

She really is thick as shit, the pandemic that was top of the risk registers across the globe was influenza not Coronavirus.

Notice Sturgeon also reckoned that the first vaccinated groups are showing a drop off in deaths
Looks it from the NRS stats - percentage of Covid deaths over 85 have decreased from over 40% down to 32%, the lowest figures since deaths were in double figures.

Seeing similar in the English hospital deaths, proportion of those in the over 80s have been on a steady decline since new year.

Having a minor role on a Rapid Response group for a large public sector organisation I can confirm there were plans in place for dealing with a pandemic but surprise the focus of the last 5 years has been 80% Brexit and 20% Auld Lizzy popping off.

I don't know what we achieved other than figure out we don't have enough black material to black out all the windows when the lizard goes 

48 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
53 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I love the cynicism haha.
In all seriousness, though, why only do this now?
That would surely be more impactful when we had 10 cases per day, than 1,000?

There was an explanation in so much as trying everything they can to "break the chains" as new cases appear pretty stubborn at the levels reached (today's fig disappointing)

I heard her say that. But I just wonder why it didn't occur to them to do so when there were only a handful per day.

Make of this what you will but, at least, it came from a Scottish source:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56095941

Posted (on BBC News) at 13:08   on 17th February, 2021.

'Crowded beaches not linked to Covid outbreaks'

There has never been a Covid-19 outbreak linked to a crowded beach, MPs have heard.

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, told the Science and Technology Committee: "Over the summer we were treated to all this on the television news and pictures of crowded beaches, and there was an outcry about this.

"There were no outbreaks linked to crowded beaches - there's never been a Covid-19 outbreak linked to a beach ever, anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge."

He says that mass gatherings - such as a horse racing event - are an exception because they do not involve social distancing and there are "pinch points" like travel and refreshment facilities.

"I think we do have to understand where the risks are so that we can do as much as possible safely," he added.

Edited by Dev

With regard to football and other organised outdoor activities my concerns are about SG's complete failure to grasp reality in the pre covid new variant period. Summer/autumn 2020.

Looking ahead, under present circumstances, the football situation is (and always has been) that players, match officials, club officers, members of league committees, members of the various Scottish Associations and the SFA are registered on data bases with names and addresses kept, as a minimum requirement. They have always been traceable and completely accountable. Sadly, this fact does not appear to have come onto the SG's radar and it is significantly different from  so many others who have spread the disease and proved to be so elusive to track and trace, who give false names and addresses when asked, etc.

(If only everyone operated in such an organised way the epidemic here could have been kept under better control?)

With football so accountable through its' own regulation and with so many of the most vulnerable people already, or about to be vaccinated, there's no reason why organised outdoor activities cannot restart within the reasonably near future. All involved with football are accountable so if they do wrong they can be identified and dealt with appropriately (with no need for the SG to make nasty, child-like, threats to the whole of the sport when one breaks the rules).

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Make of this what you will but, at least, it came from a Scottish source:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-56095941

Posted (on BBC News) at 13:08   on 17th February, 2021.

'Crowded beaches not linked to Covid outbreaks'

There has never been a Covid-19 outbreak linked to a crowded beach, MPs have heard.

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the University of Edinburgh, told the Science and Technology Committee: "Over the summer we were treated to all this on the television news and pictures of crowded beaches, and there was an outcry about this.

"There were no outbreaks linked to crowded beaches - there's never been a Covid-19 outbreak linked to a beach ever, anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge."

He says that mass gatherings - such as a horse racing event - are an exception because they do not involve social distancing and there are "pinch points" like travel and refreshment facilities.

"I think we do have to understand where the risks are so that we can do as much as possible safely," he added.

There will no doubt be similar evidence that playing a game of fives made absolutely no difference to Covid numbers. And countless other examples.