Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I was thinking a little longer term.

I accept that there is an element of child minding about what schools offer.  There is actually some teaching involved too though.

If we're 'thinking a little longer term' then we can quite easily catch up all lost education time since March 2020, once we're not destroying and burning our economy like firewood to deal with a virus. 

There is no collective social benefit from having children in schools, right now or in the immediate future. 

Any number of people can go to the pub together you just need to split it up into smaller groups on entry like going clubbing.

Ah I get you. Aye, I think 6 of us rocked up initially and 2 turned up later. This was in the glory days of August though when it was basically a free-for-all.

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Interesting concept of opening large hotels at Easter but keeping their restaurants/bars closed.

Do you have to bring a jeely piece and  a scotch egg to keep you going?

Part of my work is a hotel in the Alps in France and we have been in that situation since November, we have never been told we cannot open, some hotels in the village are, but the bar has to remain closed and you can only feed guests in their rooms.

Who is going to stay in what is an open prison. 

We did not open this winter.

45 minutes ago, Paco said:

Vulnerable people are still getting the vaccines today, and we won’t really be out of the ‘vulnerable’ area (e.g. clog up hospitals for weeks or have the audacity to die) until Groups 1-9 are done. Target for one dose is the end of April, therefore for dose 2 it’ll be the end of July. The most likely to die have been given a dose, sure, but it isn’t the 95 year olds that sit in the hospital for a month and spend a week in ICU - it’s the 50 & 60 year olds, or younger people with severe asthma or COPD. They’re still in the process of being vaccinated now.

Furlough won’t end in April either. It might go to a targeted system but I’d expect an extension for another couple of months before that happens, to be honest.

I think the mood music from Sunak is that you've had yer furlough.  There may well be targeted help (there will need to be) come 1st May, but generally speaking non-essential shops and businesses will be re-opened by that point as all 1-9 groups will have been done once by then, which in Scotland is about 75% of adults, along with a good portion of 1-4's with their second.

1 minute ago, realmadrid said:

Part of my work is a hotel in the Alps in France and we have been in that situation since November, we have never been told we cannot open, some hotels in the village are, but the bar has to remain closed and you can only feed guests in their rooms.

Who is going to stay in what is an open prison. 

We did not open this winter.

Grim stuff.

I know they go way overboard with the risk to younger people but I do know someone who was 31, fit and healthy training for a marathon and came very close to dying from Covid.
9 months on they still haven't found any underlying health condition that may have caused him to react so badly.

1 in a million though and I imagine that will be similar to the flu

Ah I get you. Aye, I think 6 of us rocked up initially and 2 turned up later. This was in the glory days of August though when it was basically a free-for-all.
I 'member the halcyon days of August 2020. Champions League knockout games on telly every night, County at the top of the league and free flowing pints. :(

Just now, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I 'member the halcyon days of August 2020. Champions League knockout games on telly every night, County at the top of the league and free flowing pints. :(

Watched the Champions League final in Platform 8 and I don't remember much of it.  I remember the next fucking day though 🤢

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it's a fair comment.

The 'trade off' was very much in the context of the remainder of this year and lifting of restrictions. The upside for school age parents is very clear, offset by the fact everything else is closed.

For everyone else...

What could reasonably have been offered in the short term, to those who seem to constitute the dominant demographic on here though?

After the chat yesterday about restrictions being eased even slower than last summer I thought it was worth trying to put together a sort of time line of restrictions for comparison:

23rd March

• Lockdown begins

10th May 

• Once a day exercise limit lifted

29th May  

• Two households can now meet outside

19th June 

• People living alone or single parents with children can form what is described as an "extended group" with one other household, including overnight stays
  • three households can meet up outdoors

22nd June

• The wearing of face coverings becomes compulsory on public transport
  • Dentists are allowed to reopen for patients in need of urgent treatment
  • Health services increased
  • Places of worship for individual prayer

29 June

• Non essential retailers reopen in Scotland

9th July

• Can now meet up indoors with two other households from 10 July, and also in extended groups outside of up to fifteen from the same day

10th July

• wearing of face coverings becomes mandatory in shops in Scotland

13th July

•  Shopping centres are permitted to reopen in Scotland
  • outdoor contact sports resume for children

15th July 

• Hairdressers and barbers, pubs and restaurants, cinemas, tourist attractions, places of worship and childcare facilities reopen

17th July

• Shielding can visit holiday accommodation, as well as outdoor markets and gardens

1st August

• Shielding programme is paused for England and Scotland

5th August

• Lockdown restrictions are re-imposed on Aberdeen

8th August

• Face coverings required  in libraries, museums and places of worship

10th August

• Care home visits allowed for three outdoor visitors per person from two separate households.

11th August

• Schools reopen full time. 

24th August

• Travel & indoor gathering bans in Aberdeen lifted.

26th August

• Aberdeen bars and restaurants allowed to re-open.

31st August 

• Face coverings become mandatory for Scottish secondary schools
  • Gyms, swimming pools and indoor sports courts are permitted to reopen

1st September

• Restrictions on visiting other households are reintroduced in Glasgow and the neighbouring areas of West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire

7th September

• Restrictions on home visits in the West of Scotland are extended to cover Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire

11th September

• Households in Lanarkshire are banned from mixing from midnight

9th October

• Bars and restaurants in the Central Belt must close from 18:00 on 9 October, the closure remaining in place until 25 October; licensed premises in other areas can remain open for outdoor service only.

2nd November

• Tier system reintroduced (tier 3 amended on 12th December to prohibit alcohol)

Our local council are trying to claim the reopening of schools for P1-P3 pupils from Monday are for "mainstream" pupils only and that pupils in that age group with additional support needs / disabilities are only due to go back part time.

I am fucking sick of the gaslighting that happens as part of being an ASN parent.

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

After the chat yesterday about restrictions being eased even slower than last summer I thought it was worth trying to put together a sort of time line of restrictions for comparison:

23rd March

• Lockdown begins

10th May 

29th May  

19th June 

• People living alone or single parents with children can form what is described as an "extended group" with one other household, including overnight stays

22nd June

29 June

9th July

• Can now meet up indoors with two other households from 10 July, and also in extended groups outside of up to fifteen from the same day

10th July

13th July

15th July 

• Hairdressers and barbers, pubs and restaurants, cinemas, tourist attractions, places of worship and childcare facilities reopen

17th July

• Shielding can visit holiday accommodation, as well as outdoor markets and gardens

1st August

5th August

8th August

10th August

• Care home visits allowed for three outdoor visitors per person from two separate households.

11th August

24th August

26th August

31st August 

1st September

• Restrictions on visiting other households are reintroduced in Glasgow and the neighbouring areas of West Dunbartonshire and East Renfrewshire

7th September

• Restrictions on home visits in the West of Scotland are extended to cover Renfrewshire and East Dunbartonshire

11th September

9th October

• Bars and restaurants in the Central Belt must close from 18:00 on 9 October, the closure remaining in place until 25 October; licensed premises in other areas can remain open for outdoor service only.

2nd November

• Tier system reintroduced (tier 3 amended on 12th December to prohibit alcohol)

Good work - was thinking of doing similar but far too lazy! 

So given we will be going slower then last time we can look forward to a haircut at the end of May, and getting to the gym about June. Should get to a pub for the Euro’s though! Although I’m just adding a month to everything in terms of being cautious, likely be more. 

6 minutes ago, super_carson said:

23rd March

• Lockdown begins

10th May 

29th May  

19th June 

22nd June

29 June

9th July

10th July

13th July

15th July 

17th July

1st August

5th August

8th August

10th August

11th August

24th August

26th August

31st August 

1st September

7th September

11th September

9th October

2nd November

So we are currently at 29th May restrictions with a few things like dentists and NHS open and schools starting back. Difficult to use last year's progress to track this year's which is annoying

I honestly thought things would almost be back to “normal” once all the elderly/vulnerable had received their 2 doses. Instead we seem to want to wait until everyone over 18 has received theirs “just incase”. 

As an aside I see there’s 10 million people in the UK on NHS waiting lists for things like cancer, heart problems, mental health. Many of these people won’t get the treatment they need as it’s covid that matters these days, nothing else.