Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

The idea that we should be forever grateful for the good fortune of having elected a leader who is more empathetic and competent than Boris fucking Johnson (or that Welsh Labour goon) at handling a crisis is risible.

It's also worth noting that this empathy only ever applies to politically favoured groups and having a good greet about images of people at Portobello beach; rather than for the people losing their jobs and businesses going tits up because of the SG's rolling lockdowns and generally moronic, token efforts to look stricter than England.

At best we're dealing with a 4/10 level of performance.

We are shit but hey better than England. Well done nicola.

Exactly this. Think about it logically if there is no furlough there will be no businesses ordered to close. After April any support will be very targeted to specific sectors.

All this hysteria about business closed until summer, unless Sunak decides that's needed it cant and wont happen. Add in an election in May and it's nowhere near as difficult to see through Sturgeons doom and gloom as most seem to be making out.
English local elections as well - no party in government will want go into an election without some give on restrictions.

18 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
25 minutes ago, keithgy said:
So looks like my holiday in May is a no go then.

Definitely......May 2022 might be ok though.

Here's the problem though, what's likely to change between May 2021 and May 2022 ?

We'll still have covid and and we'll still have "new variants" according to all the experts, so basically the only thing which can save us now is a coordinated change in Government policy.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

UK government now briefing to The Telegraph that lockdown won’t ease down south until cases are below 1000 a day...

FOR f**k SAKE

When are the press going to put these fuckers under pressure and make it clear once we have enormous chunks of society vaccinated and much better treatments and more capacity in the health service that case numbers matter about as much as what direction the wind is. There are a number of metrics to decide restrictions against cases numbers is not one of them.

If furlough ends at the end of april as many predict then how does NS propose to provide support to the hospitality, travel and culture sectors? 
When is the ‘adult conversation’ going to happen? Will Leitch admit he fucked up spectacularly? 
You've made the same mistake that VT made - Leitch is not the CMO or any other position to make scientific decisions but deals with the quality of the health system.

At the moment he is little more than a glorified PR man - he has very little direct say on policy.

12 minutes ago, 101 said:

FOR f**k SAKE

When are the press going to put these fuckers under pressure and make it clear once we have enormous chunks of society vaccinated and much better treatments and more capacity in the health service that case numbers matter about as much as what direction the wind is. There are a number of metrics to decide restrictions against cases numbers is not one of them.

In all honesty, I agree with what you're saying but 1000 cases per day will likely come quite a bit before massive chunks of society are fully vaccinated. 

You're right though, case numbers could be 20000 a day, if the vaccination leads to ICUs and hospitals being clear then it shouldn't matter. However, I'm more confident we'll see 1000 a day quicker than we will see the vaccine widespread enough to more or less nullify serious cases. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Just now, Michael W said:

This is right on brand with the "too late" tendancies isn't it? 

Cases at 50k a day? Nothing. Down at 10k a day? Shield. 

Tbf Scotland added people to the shielding list last week too. They just didn't announce it.

It's not fair to blame an advisor who's advice heavily influences policy?
DS can't be advising the SG in private, tweeting her advice, and appearing on tv interviews also re-iterating her advice, then putting her hands up and say "don't blame me, blame the policy" when someone disagrees with her rather utopian outloook.
Sorry to be a pedant but it is adviser.

Advisor is the US spelling.

As for her role - an adviser is exactly what she should be not a policy decider.

My biggest gripe with her though is not the advice being given but the fact that said advice seems to be be made public on an ongoing basis as if it were going to be the Scottish Government's policy.

Partly that is the MSM's fault but also hers - there are times she needs to be told to pipe down and not pre-empt decision-makers.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In all honesty, I agree with what you're saying but 1000 cases per day will likely come quite a bit before massive chunks of society are fully vaccinated. 

You're right though, case numbers could be 20000 a day, if the vaccination leads to ICUs and hospitals being clear then it shouldn't matter. However, I'm more confident we'll see 1000 a day quicker than we will see the vaccine widespread enough to more or less nullify serious cases. 

Agree. I'm Scotland we have gone from 2500 per day to 700 in a month.

22 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You've made the same mistake that VT made - Leitch is not the CMO or any other position to make scientific decisions but deals with the quality of the health system.

At the moment he is little more than a glorified PR man - he has very little direct say on policy.

His messaging was fucking horrendous even from the start so im pretty comfortable in calling for him to admit he fucked up. Encouraging people to go to gigs and football at a crucial stage in the initial outbreak. 

Are we expecting to see another extension to furlough in BoJo's route map next Monday?? To be fair, I'd think that's the reasoning behind NS staying a day behind Boris. If BoJo comes out and says, 'that's it, furlough ends for everyone at the end of April, hospitality included', can NS really come out and say that everything will have to remain closed beyond that and just totally f**k the workforce in non-essential retail and hospitality?? If BoJo comes out and says targeted furlough for some industries (hospitality, travel and tourism) can we expect to see them remain closed until May/June??

I like to think I've been fairly level-headed over this ongoing clusterfuck, however if I have to bin a fortnight's hillwalking (literally the easiest activity to socially distance) in middle of fucking nowhere for the second consecutive May, I'll be verging on drawing a cock & balls on the ballot paper. 

As someone posted earlier, the current existence (and it has over the winter months just been an existence) of waking up, working, going for a walk if the weather isn't pish, then spending the rest of the time in the house is quite frankly shite. I'd be willing to accept it if the roadmap gives some cause for optimism. If not I will quite happily help to construct any rocket with which to fire Jason Leitch and Devi into the fucking sun. 

I do understand NS's desire to be cautious, but there needs to be a light at the end of the tunnel. 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Just think of your happy place and cut out the noise ❤️

image.png.6053a0c0225270355f36e3067ae7b0ef.png

"I'm not sure how I get blamed for this. Just a humble monk. I have no power. And, I'm more concerned now about carefully avoiding getting shanked to death. This is why Russia is awful. Picking away at people instead of policies"