Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10:12

Trumpeting ‘worst-case scenarios’ for NHS waiting lists ‘not helpful’

image.gif.1e4556c30be7f8017a041b5eed3b64f1.gif
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

The chief executive of NHS Providers is suggesting a report warning waiting lists for hospital treatment in England could more than double by April to hit 10 million is an exaggeration.

The Reform think tank has warned a worst-case scenario could see delays continue as a new wave of referrals are made.

Chris Hopson, who leads the organisation representing hospitals and other NHS trusts in England, tells BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “There is a significant issue here but we’ve got to be really careful not to exaggerate things.”

He cites another report from June last year that also warned the NHS waiting list would hit 10 million by December, adding that in reality it is 4.4 million.

“Trumpeting worst-case scenarios to get some newspaper headlines at the NHS’s expense isn’t particularly helpful in my view,” he says.

“It also ignores the fact that trusts have been working incredibly hard to recover services."

What about trumpeting worst-case scenarios when it comes to modelling data and hospital capacity?

1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

Doesn't suit the keep everyone shit scared and locked down rhetoric m9.

I don't think that most people are scared of the virus any more and that's part of the issue.  Back in March we were as it was an unknown quantity.  Now we know it's unlikely to be dangerous unless you're old or in ill health (sweeping statements but I'm not listing out all the vulnerable categories) people are asking why they can't have their lives back once the vulnerable are protected and the NHS can cope with the numbers.

I know they go way overboard with the risk to younger people but I do know someone who was 31, fit and healthy training for a marathon and came very close to dying from Covid.

9 months on they still haven't found any underlying health condition that may have caused him to react so badly.

I might be mistaken with my dates but most vulnerable people had their first dose around end of january? So three months after that they get their second dose which is end of april which is when the furlough ends. Does that not work out date wise whereby we can see some restrictions lifted?

Vulnerable people are still getting the vaccines today, and we won’t really be out of the ‘vulnerable’ area (e.g. clog up hospitals for weeks or have the audacity to die) until Groups 1-9 are done. Target for one dose is the end of April, therefore for dose 2 it’ll be the end of July. The most likely to die have been given a dose, sure, but it isn’t the 95 year olds that sit in the hospital for a month and spend a week in ICU - it’s the 50 & 60 year olds, or younger people with severe asthma or COPD. They’re still in the process of being vaccinated now.

Furlough won’t end in April either. It might go to a targeted system but I’d expect an extension for another couple of months before that happens, to be honest.

I think the issue with that is you won't see a lifting of all restrictions at the end of April so a group of people will essentially be abandoned (eg people working in spectator sports or at nightclubs/gig venues).

Aye nightclubs etc are almost certainly goosed for a lot longer

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Why yes, because educating children has no positive spin offs whatever for wider society.

Not in the context of a pandemic in which 'wider society' is for all intents and purposes closed down. 

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm not convinced this advert will have the impact the SG think it will. If they really want to push the "AnYoNe cAn GeT iT" message, perhaps an otherwise healthy looking young person might be more effective. I have a sneaky suspision there may not be many examples of that, though. I wonder why.

Secondly "person becomes a bit unwell" is hardly good reason for extended restrictions. This particular example placed zero strain on the health service we must so desperately protect.

Accies SLO enjoying making everything about himself as per usual I see

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not in the context of a pandemic in which 'wider society' is for all intents and purposes closed down. 

Yes, I was thinking a little longer term.

I accept that there is an element of child minding about what schools offer.  There is actually some teaching involved too though.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I was thinking a little longer term.

I accept that there is an element of child minding about what schools offer.  There is actually some teaching involved too though.

I think it's a fair comment.

The 'trade off' was very much in the context of the remainder of this year and lifting of restrictions. The upside for school age parents is very clear, offset by the fact everything else is closed.

For everyone else...

26 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Aye nightclubs etc are almost certainly goosed for a lot longer

As is sports events. As is the live music industry. Also mass running events (and on the back of that to a fair degree charities).

I really fear for the future of these industries.

Worth remembering that these are all things people do for enjoyment. What kind of life are heading towards.....

Edited by Steven W