Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Everything is a vehicle for indyref2.  This change of dialog is nothing more than a political manoeuvring to attempt to gain more votes, to then start talking about indyref2 again.

Ironically the only people I ever hear even mentioning "indy ref 2" are the opposition and those "staunchly" against it.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There has barely been a cheep from any MSP regardless of party about measures currently in place. They appear to have full cross party support in Scotland which seems very odd. Not once has Davidson, Harvey, Rennie or Baillie even mentioned releasing lockdown or complained about it being extended.

I see NI despite the headline "lockdown extended " have announced a return to bigger outdoor meetings from 8 March.

Yeah, but don’t let the facts get in the way of cheap attempts at point scoring.

The ‘main players’ on P&B need to get there act together to run candidates in May to offer an alternative.  ‘The Freedom Party’, the ‘End Restrictions Now Party’, the ‘I Want To Get Down The Pub And Wish I Had Some Real Friends To Go With Me Party’*; not sure what would be best.

* I think you’re restricted to six words on the ballot paper; that would probably be beneficial.

FTFY
Also non Covid deaths were also up Jan-Sep 2020 nearly 13,000 more people died than the 5 year average which is alarming.
I'm not sure we can all be certain that the morgues and funeral system can take a whole lot more pressure if you have increased non Covid deaths and Covid deaths and there is a few more hurdles to cross before that's a foregone conclusion.
Also it's a very shitty time for a funeral.

Leave him alone. He needs the planes back on. Nothing else matters.

Which makes it even more shoddy to now use it as a point for re-election.
It was always going to be the one opportunity the people get to have their say on how it's been handled. She sees the polls and popularity ratings on her handling are hugely in her favour so not really a surprise she's playing on it, it'spolitics after all. I don't see why you can construe what she said as any sort of move away from the election also being a mandate for another referendum, it can easily be both.

It's probably why the opposition parties haven't tried going down the pandemic restriction lifting route, only explanation I can think of.

Test 4 from that twitter thread, whilst it sounds like a nice idea, is surely a test which by it's very nature can never be met/passed

Having a robust strategy for new variants is a target that can met. One of the main ways of dealing with potential new variants is to have facilities to rapidly produce vaccines, which is something that’s being developed under the agreements between the U.K. government and Astra Zeneca and others. The U.K. also has facilities for genomic sequencing, which is why we managed to identify the Kent strain so quickly. Those things working in tandem will be crucial to deal with any potential strain, should it arise. It could also be that if Covid becomes endemic that these facilities are also very useful if there’s a bad Covid season, the way we get bad flu seasons now.

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yeah, but don’t let the facts get in the way of cheap attempts at point scoring.

The ‘main players’ on P&B need to get there act together to run candidates in May to offer an alternative.  ‘The Freedom Party’, the ‘End Restrictions Now Party’, the ‘I Want To Get Down The Pub And Wish I Had Some Real Friends To Go With Me Party’*; not sure what would be best.

* I think you’re restricted to six words on the ballot paper; that would probably be beneficial.

I see you continue to struggle with the difference between 'End restrictions now' which almost no-one is lobbying for and 'Stop forecasting that restrictions will be continuing indefinitely - vaccines and treatments are becoming ever more avaiaible, so we should be considering how we can start slowly reclaiming our lives'. 

Unsurprising really. 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ word salad

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

There has barely been a cheep from any MSP regardless of party about measures currently in place. They appear to have full cross party support in Scotland which seems very odd. Not once has Davidson, Harvey, Rennie or Baillie even mentioned releasing lockdown or complained about it being extended.

I see NI despite the headline "lockdown extended " have announced a return to bigger outdoor meetings from 8 March.

That's because all parties are united in this lockdown strategy whether anyone on here likes it or not.

And as we keep saying, it's not just Scotland, it's the UK and Europe and indeed most of the world and like it or not some of our so called "draconian" restrictions in Scotland are in fact much less strict than many others, England included.

Remember, we at least can still play outdoor sports such as Golf and Tennis but in England closure orders remain.

Don't get me wrong, I neither like nor do I agree with all these restrictions, but anyone who thinks that any of the opposition would do anything different is living in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid.

I see you continue to struggle with the difference between 'End restrictions now' which almost no-one is lobbying for and 'Stop forecasting that restrictions will be continuing indefinitely - vaccines and treatments are becoming ever more avaiaible, so we should be considering how we can start slowly reclaiming our lives'. 
Unsurprising really. 
Aren't the routemaps coming next week with SG and UKG ?

Please stop quoting him for the love of all that is holy.

The Ignore List can be great and has made my time on here much better but they need to find a way to fix quoted posts being shown. I could do without reading the output of the Granny Dangers and the 8MileBUs of this world.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Please stop quoting him for the love of all that is holy.

The Ignore List can be great and has made my time on here much better but they need to find a way to fix quoted posts being shown. I could do without reading the output of the Granny Dangers and the 8MileBUs of this world.

^^^ has never had any ass.

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It was always going to be the one opportunity the people get to have their say on how it's been handled. She sees the polls and popularity ratings on her handling are hugely in her favour so not really a surprise she's playing on it, it'spolitics after all. I don't see why you can construe what she said as any sort of move away from the election also being a mandate for another referendum, it can easily be both.

It's probably why the opposition parties haven't tried going down the pandemic handling route, only explanation I can think of.

This is true but in the first several months of the pandemic, she went to massive pains not to go up against the UKG to politicise the pandemic. 

That in the subsequent months has gone well out the window as the SNP has disappeared down this zero covid rabbit hole. It's genuinely concerning to see. 

I fully understand there's no alternative to vote for if we want indyref 2 but for me and where I am now, given the straight choice, I'll avoid lending my support to a party pushing zero covid policy rather than lending it to a second referendum if the party leading us into a second referendum will quite willingly see us carry on down this road on the never never at the cost of the entire country's financial, mental and physical health being in ruin. 

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unsurprising really. 

No I don’t, but you got some greenies which was the point of your post.

Well done you.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
Unsurprising really. 

Aren't the routemaps coming next week with SG and UKG ?

They are and I've been standing back and waiting until now, but the noises coming out already and the places they are coming from is not inspiring much confidence.