Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There is literally no comparison whatsoever to Christmas. 

It will be summer and the majority of the country will be vaccinated by the time there is any major restriction lifting. 

I realise that but they're making promises to encourage spending knowing full well that they could be delayed. People want to do stuff and are chomping at the bit to do so. It's a huge leap of faith to say that everything will be ok for foreign travel when other countries are miles behind us or new things can happen. The thought of families or businesses losing cash again is awful. 

Catch 22 I suppose but I suspect that most of the public will be on full f**k it mode now anyway.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I realise that but they're making promises to encourage spending knowing full well that they could be delayed. People want to do stuff and are chomping at the bit to do so. It's a huge leap of faith to say that everything will be ok for foreign travel when other countries are miles behind us or new things can happen. The thought of families or businesses losing cash again is awful. 

Catch 22 I suppose but I suspect that most of the public will be on full f**k it mode now anyway.

I don't think they necessarily are.

They potential foreign travel date is still 3 months away, with the "headline" June 21st date 4 months away.

They are clearly supremely confident that the initial vaccine data will hold up and what that will mean for the state of play here.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

They potential foreign travel date is still 3 months away, with the "headline" June 21st date 4 months away.

The economy before all else, thats the tories.

Probably why there's 120k dead. Well no probably about it.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They are clearly supremely confident that the initial vaccine data will hold up and what that will mean for the state of play here.

Not convinced supremely confident is a positive trait when dealing with a pandemic. 

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

The economy before all else, thats the tories.

Probably why there's 120k dead. Well no probably about it.

Clearly not, though, given schools are first in line, and the first test is vaccine numbers, and the second test is serious illness among those vaccinated.

Anecdotally, any business sector i've seen commenting on it is frustrated at how drawn out they feel it is.

Which doesn't fit with your argument.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Clearly not, though, given schools are first in line, and the first test is vaccine numbers, and the second test is serious illness among those vaccinated.

Anecdotally, any business sector i've seen commenting on it is frustrated at how drawn out they feel it is.

Schools are a positive for businesses in my book. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

People on Radio Scotland still going on about zero covid when your nearest neighbour isn’t doing it is utterly fucking mental!

Some people don't seem to accept that some airborne viruses are impossible to eradicate. 

36 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56165929

Hundreds of thousands more unemployed per quarter - three-fifths of those losing their job during the pandemic being young adults - and more than six million others on a daft furlough scheme that everyone else is paying through the nose for. But aye it's all about pints and haircuts you self-righteous walloper.

This is the crux of the problem, isn't it?  Lockdowns are a scorched-earth policy essentially. They become less and less necessary as we go through vaccination programme and we are really now seeing the damage (i.e. then unemployment stats) of such policies, not to mention the unseen impact on mental health, wider medical services and future policies to pay for all of this.  

I think I said this before, but a quick browse of social media this morning shows that people are being far too irrational or emotional about the easing of lockdown.  Lots of people proper Helen Lovejoying the prospect of social-distancing being binned by the summer, espousing overly moralist reactions to the idea we get on with our lives and try to deal with this the best we can.  I've seen and heard lots histrionic claims about killing your Granny and profits v. economy, but that is just far too simplistic and narrow-minded.  

It's not about getting to the pub, or the football, but the fact these in-turn employ hundreds of thousands of people.  These things on an individual level may not matter, but a society-wide level they literally are paying the bills and keeping food on the table for so many- are we just consigning these folk to the unemployment scrap heap so we can pat ourselves on the back for being martyrs and enduring lockdowns beyond their purpose?  I think this really gets lost in the noise when people talk about leisure and hospitality re-opening, the debate centres on it not being essential for the customer but we often forget about the employee.  

Thankfully these repercussions of lockdown seem to be now be part of the discussions. 

I would think Sturgeons roadmap/ plan whatever it is called this week is likely to follow Westminster in terms of the sequence of how things will open but will likely be a little behind. I wouldn't be surprised however if the Scot Gov plan is a bit more granular with reviews and things being opened maybe every three weeks or so but less at the same time to try and create a gradual release - the Westminster one seems to be a series of events that will just cause big gatherings (after March anyway)

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Some people don't seem to accept that some airborne viruses are impossible to eradicate. 

Nah, it's not as deep as that - they just hear people like DS say "Zero Covid" and repeat it without any thought of their own.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The tories don't care about business and the economy?

Just about every f**k up has been down to trying to keep the economy going.

:lol:

Cmon geoff

41 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Unfortunate as it is, adding in this profession and that profession to priority lists will do nothing other than create a 'what about me' tidal wave.

Totally this. you only had to go back a fortnight to the worst of the snowy weather with various turboKaren's demanding to know why their cul-de-sac hadn't been prioritised was because I AM A KEY WURKER. A vaccination programme done by profession would ramp this up by x1000. 

18 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Catch 22 I suppose but I suspect that most of the public will be on full f**k it mode now anyway

Sadly the press seem to be holding the Tories up as some kind of force for good and the public seem all to happy to let Hancock off we had pages and pages of the thread devoted to calling for the head of Dominic and Margaret who both broke the law in Hancock on the other hand has driver a truck through it and the collective response is:Who Knows Idk GIF