Coronavirus (COVID-19)

43 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I distinctly remember seeing the scenes from Italy and thinking 'boomers and chubsters, seems about right', tbh.

A year ago to the day you posted this I flew out to Italy to watch the rugby.  Great trip.

when I got home my work had banned anyone that had been to Italy from being in the office.  Government guidelines at the time were that Northern Italy was taboo, Rome was fine.

i didn’t know a single person that thought this situation was that serious at the time.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will address Holyrood today but is not expected to outline plans for potential Hampden crowds — or even if Scots will be allowed to travel over the border by June.

Imagine no fans at Hampden but England games are with full capacity in June :lol: 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

2 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I had to get a plane down to England for work in early March. Anyone that cleared their throat was getting daggers from the rest of the plane. 

Going into Asda with a brief bout of Hayfever drew some looks as well 😂

7 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will address Holyrood today but is not expected to outline plans for potential Hampden crowds — or even if Scots will be allowed to travel over the border by June.

Imagine no fans at Hampden but England games are with full capacity in June :lol: 

I suspect that we'll be (rightly IMO) a bit more cautious with schools (my prediction is full reopening after Easter) but I'd imagine other restrictions will be lifted at roughly the same time as down south, assuming the vaccination programme continues to be successful and there's no 3rd Wave caused by chucking millions of kids back together on the 8th March.

It's an election year, she won't want the optics of Scotland being closed while folk in England can do whatever the f**k they want.

I thought the Scottish Government had already jumped the shark by this point, but surely they're not going to end up going full-on Hitler's bunker and double down on the elimination nonsense.

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I'm pretty sure she'd be entirely comfortable with that.

Sturgeon is in a tricky place. 

What Boris said yesterday about accepting spikes as part of the cost of returning to normality hasn't been controversial at all most people recognise it's inevitable and necessary. Sturgeon has spent 12 months talking about elimination and now she either ditches that to follow England or sticks with it and pisses a lot of people off. 

43 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sturgeon is in a tricky place. 

What Boris said yesterday about accepting spikes as part of the cost of returning to normality hasn't been controversial at all most people recognise it's inevitable and necessary. Sturgeon has spent 12 months talking about elimination and now she either ditches that to follow England or sticks with it and pisses a lot of people off. 

No, most people believe it won't affect them personally and are quite willing to throw a few more crumblies and blimps under the bus so that they can get a pint/game of golf/haircut. 

At this point, the majority are at the "I'll take my chances - just let me out of the house!" stage, which is more than understandable.  In fairness, I believe the vaccine is over delivering to such an extent both in efficacy and uptake that the tunnel is getting shorter and the light brighter almost by the day. A year of missed targets and broken promises (mainly from Johnson) has led our leaders to be very circumspect as to what we can expect and when. Whatever, as long as we are travelling in the right direction I can contain my enthusiasm. 

I may be well wide of the mark here, but the first step appears to be the one most likely to go wrong - surely a vaccination for allschool workers could be arranged in the time between now and re-opening? Might not help all that much (I'm not an expert), but surely can't do any harm?

Having sat and thought about it, I believe well follow England’s route map but perhaps be a week or 2 behind, and will see a return to school of P4-7’s on 8th March.

Secondaries won’t return until Easter.

Non-essential shops to reopen from 15 March including Barbers, Bookies, Clothing and electronic shops.

5th April sees a return to outdoor hospitality. Lifting of travel restrictions within Scotland also lifted.

3rd May, inside of restaurants and pubs to reopen.

1st June - stadiums and sports arena to allow in a limited number (let’s say 300 as that was the pilot and to be safe.)

30th June - lifting of social distancing.

I would add that a right to move local areas back or forward a step dependent on infections can also be allowed.

This is also dependent on the vaccine rates staying as such that every adult will have had their first dose by the 31st July also.

Having sat and thought about it, I believe well follow England’s route map but perhaps be a week or 2 behind, and will see a return to school of P4-7’s on 8th March.

Non-essential shops to reopen from 15 March including Barbers, Bookies, Clothing and electronic shops.

5th April sees a return to outdoor hospitality. Lifting of travel restrictions within Scotland also lifted.

1st June - stadiums and sports arena to allow in a limited number (let’s say 300 as that was the pilot and to be safe.)

I would add that a right to move local areas back or forward a step dependent on infections can also be allowed.

This is also dependent on the vaccine rates staying as such that every adult will have had their first dose by the 31st July also.
As someone in desperate need of a haircut that would be great but I can't see us opening barbers etc. a month before England.

Boris has created a rod for everyone’s back here. Certainly a lot of people on social media are taking these dates as ‘dates that things are going to happen’ and ignoring the ‘not before’ part. 

I don’t think it seems a bad timeline though, probably around what you’d expect given where the timetable of the vaccines will be if everything stays on track.

It’s just a bit unfortunate he’s used set dates to do it because it isn’t giving him, or any of the devolved nations, space to allow for any issues arising, even in things such as vaccine supply. 

Most of that is ahead of England never mind a couple of weeks behind.