Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Not sure if he was opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble, but Leitch said on Radio Scotland that a return to the tier system was likely, based upon, in comparison with England, Scotland's different geography (Islands, sparsely populated in some areas, heavily populated across the central belt). However he did moot that it may not be based on local authorities anymore, highlighting that the three distinct island groups,  the North West of the country, and a sprawl from the central belt up to Dundee and Aberdeen.

I think reading between the lines a tier system based local authorties may be scrapped, perhaps in favour of doing it by health board?

Edited by Steven W

Boris has created a rod for everyone’s back here. Certainly a lot of people on social media are taking these dates as ‘dates that things are going to happen’ and ignoring the ‘not before’ part. 
I don’t think it seems a bad timeline though, probably around what you’d expect given where the timetable of the vaccines will be if everything stays on track.
It’s just a bit unfortunate he’s used set dates to do it because it isn’t giving him, or any of the devolved nations, space to allow for any issues arising, even in things such as vaccine supply. 
They were interviewing a hair salon owner there saying just that. Deluged with folk wanting to book for 12 April and them then being furious when she advised them she wasn't taking bookings until dates were confirmed which will be min 7 days before. People unsurprisingly given the media coverage have seen the banner dates and taken them as gospel as opposed to what they basically are ie earliest indicative dates.

I saw a quote somewhere on BBC's website that Scotland and the other devolved nations were largely going to be following the English roadmap, so I'd expect much the same with a few minor tweaks here and there. Hopefully vaccine supply can keep up. I reckon they'll just the the J&J one-shotter to batter through any adults not already been vaccinated before punting the spares abroad. Assuming it works well enough (I haven't seen the figures for it) the J&J will probably be the weapon of choice should we need annual jags.

I feel cautiously optimistic tbh. 

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon will address Holyrood today but is not expected to outline plans for potential Hampden crowds — or even if Scots will be allowed to travel over the border by June.

Imagine no fans at Hampden but England games are with full capacity in June :lol: 

There are two different ways you can read that. One is that plans for any level of crowds at sporting events or people crossing the border aren't even being considered as possibilities or are being explicitly ruled out for June, which would cause an understandable meltdown.

The other, and far more likely IMO, is that the difference in the SG's approach will be not committing to firm dates for these things and others, which brings with it a degree of vagueness and leaves the summer up in the air, but keeps a 'data not dates' approach open.

That would leave them open to a response of 'they're not planning for any specific dates, how can we have certainty?!' which will be understandable in some sectors, particularly those still dependent on furlough if they don't know if it's going to continue while restrictions are still in place for them. However considering how badly pretty much every previous attempt to base plans around "we'll lift restrictions on this date" has gone over the last 12 months that's probably more sensible than ending up with another set of restrictions which were to be in place for three weeks rolling on for months, and with how good the data looks so far with the success of the rollout and how many people are expected to be vaccinated by then, taking that approach shouldn't be seen as writing anything for June off.

A whole lot of this is going to come down to tone though. Even if we don't have specific dates or trigger points of 'when X number of vaccinations have happened and hospitalisation figures are at Y, doing Z will be safe again', please just give us some optimism and acknowledgement that vaccines are working and are at some point going to end this, even if you understandably don't want to commit to saying exactly when that's going to happen.

43 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

He might as well be. An utter shambles of a poster. I can only assume he's trying more desperate material as the greenies must be drying up 😂

I try not to read this thread too often for my own sanity but it’s genuinely hard to tell those that are just on the windup from those that have actually lost their minds.

Edited by Rodhull

6 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Not sure if he was opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble, but Leitch said on Radio Scotland that a return to the tier system was likely, based upon, in comparison with England, Scotland's different geography (Islands, sparsely populated in some areas, heavily populated across the central belt). However he did moot that it may not be based on local authorities anymore, highlighting that the three distinct island groups,  the North West of the country, and a sprawl from the central belt up to Dundee and Aberdeen.

I think reading between the lines a tier system based local authorties may be scrapped, perhaps in favour of doing it by health board?

As you'd expect a greater focus on hospitalisation figures over cases as vaccination progresses then it makes sense to do it by health board, but if this came to pass then seeing the logic in it wouldn't stop me being seething that Inverclyde could probably be sitting with the lowest local authority figures outside Orkney and Shetland then get punted into the highest level anyway due to sharing a health board with Glasgow, West Dunbartonshire and Renfrewshire.

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I try not to read this thread too often for my own sanity but it’s genuinely hard to tell those that are just on the windup from those that have genuinely lost their minds.

Ad Lib's stuff over the last few days is absolute top notch wummery. Had a few posters seething without really overplaying his hand and making it too obvious. 

59 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

No, most people believe it won't affect them personally and are quite willing to throw a few more crumblies and blimps under the bus so that they can get a pint/game of golf/haircut. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56165929

Hundreds of thousands more unemployed per quarter - three-fifths of those losing their job during the pandemic being young adults - and more than six million others on a daft furlough scheme that everyone else is paying through the nose for. But aye it's all about pints and haircuts you self-righteous walloper.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I may be well wide of the mark here, but the first step appears to be the one most likely to go wrong - surely a vaccination for allschool workers could be arranged in the time between now and re-opening? Might not help all that much (I'm not an expert), but surely can't do any harm?

The vaccinations are being prioritised by age, which is the biggest factor in hospital admissions and deaths. I think if you start trying to tweak it to target narrow groups it will make it a lot more difficult to achieve a speedy rollout. 

also, there are loads of employee groups who could claim to be a case for priority vaccination. I think I’m right in saying you are or were a prison officer? I’d say that prison staff have a better case than teachers for priority - you can’t having distance jailing, prisons by their nature are unventilated and the job requires close contact with others. 

It’s hard but the best way to do it is go by a simple metric that’s easy to organise and has a proven link to impact from the virus.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The vaccinations are being prioritised by age, which is the biggest factor in hospital admissions and deaths. I think if you start trying to tweak it to target narrow groups it will make it a lot more difficult to achieve a speedy rollout. 

also, there are loads of employee groups who could claim to be a case for priority vaccination. I think I’m right in saying you are or were a prison officer? I’d say that prison staff have a better case than teachers for priority - you can’t having distance jailing, prisons by their nature are unventilated and the job requires close contact with others. 

It’s hard but the best way to do it is go by a simple metric that’s easy to organise and has a proven link to impact from the virus.

Yeah. The age groups aren't catch-all but they are the most catch-all of any of the realistic options given that age is the major factor in severity. 

Unfortunate as it is, adding in this profession and that profession to priority lists will do nothing other than create a 'what about me' tidal wave. I even saw a few on twitter yesterday claiming without irony that if teachers are prioritised then so should parents of the children. This is the sort of attitude that we should be striving to avoid and to be fair have been successful in doing so up until now. Changing that up will bring out the absolute worst in people.

Edited by djchapsticks

29 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Health board imo would make more sense it's them that distribute the vaccine supply they are given and they are the experts on what level of virus they can deal with with their local resources.

I'm not sure about the demographics but could the islands reach 80% vaccinations far before the main land because if so it would be daft to hold them back.

Holiday companies and flights up 600%. Really hope that the dates go ahead as planned. I expect pubs and cafes will order stock in anticipation for opening and to not be left behind others.

If another lockdown happens then most of these businesses will just say f**k it and do something else. This smacks of Christmas where people were allowed to spend when there was a danger of further restrictions.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
I’d believe Ad Lib before anything that came out a fucking Tory’s mouth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but..... hes a Lib Dem isn't he?

Gladly. You are wrong. I’m not a Lib Dem.

On 21/02/2021 at 19:54, madwullie said:

That sounds brilliant. 

I thought they were being driven by data not dates though? 

They juggle the letters about and use whatever word suits their agenda at any particular time.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Holiday companies and flights up 600%. Really hope that the dates go ahead as planned. I expect pubs and cafes will order stock in anticipation for opening and to not be left behind others.

If another lockdown happens then most of these businesses will just say f**k it and do something else. This smacks of Christmas where people were allowed to spend when there was a danger of further restrictions.

There is literally no comparison whatsoever to Christmas. 

It will be summer and the majority of the country will be vaccinated by the time there is any major restriction lifting. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I've got no evidence for this but my impression of the Lib Dems is that the party mainly exists to facilitate upper middle class humanties graduates to have 'car keys in the fruit bowl' parties.

I hope everyone is now imagining Willie Rennie and Ad Lib at a swingers party.