Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

31 deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid have been registered in Scotland since yesterday. 

769 new cases (3.7% of tests) - 967 people in hospital (-51) - 89 patients in ICU (-4)

Figures again heading in the right direction. Really good to see the number of people in hospital now dropping below 1000 too.

image.thumb.jpeg.a82f08335f802efbc06426847d271a02.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:
9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:
31 deaths of people who had tested positive for Covid have been registered in Scotland since yesterday. 

769 new cases (3.7% of tests) - 967 people in hospital (-51) - 89 patients in ICU (-4)
Figures again heading in the right direction. Really good to see the number of people in hospital now dropping below 1000 too.

All the numbers heading in the right direction at the moment. Hopefully schools don't ruin things too much over the next few weeks.

If they don't,  we should be at a fairly low level come end of April especially when the effect of vaccinations will be kicking in to a wider part of the population.  

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Link doesn’t work.

Edited by Honest_Man#1
Found it online elsewhere. Study only until 8th Feb so reality should be a decent amount more by now. Seems like decent news.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Completely irrelevant.  The Prime Minister is an idiot, but that doesn't change the fact that in December we were in a totally different place.  Him being an idiot does nothing to alter the fact that the vaccines are working.

By the time the schools go back in England the cohort (JCVI1-4) where around 90% (I think) of hospitalisations/deaths occurred will have their first dose protection.  A good chunk of 5-9 will also have first dose protection so something like 90-95% of those most at risk have been protected.  There will be outbreaks but it's unlikely to lead to pressure on the NHS.

ETA someone posted earlier that their kids entire class had been sent home to isolate.  While I'm sure that's annoying for him in the grand scheme of things the rest of us should be sitting here shrugging our shoulders and saying "so what" from an NHS perspective.

Should we? Really? I've always respected people who don't wait to be personally affected before giving a fúck, but apparently that's not the in thing any more.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Should we? Really? I've always respected people who don't wait to be personally affected before giving a fúck, but apparently that's not the in thing any more.

Not entirely sure what you’re suggesting the alternative is? Why should we care about people who won’t get seriously ill from a virus, potentially getting that virus?

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Would be intrigued to know the age groups of these 769 (or more to the point have any of them been vaccinated - suspect not). Although case numbers are remaining at the same kind of level (maybe even dipping a bit, albeit very slowly), it would seem that cases aren't translating into hospitalisations. 

I can picture the move to the tier system being advanced at this rate (although I'm happy to stick with it through to end of Apr)

8 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes there’s your opinion and you being cautious, but then there’s also you firing off scaremongering, unfounded waffle.

I think that people are so desperate now they only want to hear one thing.

As long as it means freedom then everything else is wrong. Same people spent months slagging off the experts they are now praising and following because it sounds like a way out.

Don't blame them tbh. It just annoys me that I get criticised for being objective and if we go back to last March the same folk criticised me when I said it was disgraceful that people were ramming pubs full before lockdown. People get blinkered when it comes to self interest and forget the facts or past events. Again I can see why. It will be interesting to revisit this in a few months.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

As long as it means freedom then everything else is wrong. Same people spent months slagging off the experts they are now praising and following because it sounds like a way out.

Don't blame them tbh. It just annoys me that I get criticised for being objective and if we go back to last March the same folk criticised me when I said it was disgraceful that people were ramming pubs full before lockdown. People get blinkered when it comes to self interest and forget the facts or past events. Again I can see why. It will be interesting to revisit this in a few months.

You're some boy!

Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing (outwith lateral flow) and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 

Sounds like a great idea to cut the safety parachutes while numerous scientists and modellers are warning winter might not be the easy ride we hope for. 

Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 

Be surprised if you ever have to stop self isolating if you test positive.  Once it gets to a low enough level there's no reason there can't be reasonable financial compensation for doing so in stead of the half arsed scheme there is now.

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Definitely starting to look promising now. I understand what that Prof Mark Woolhouse (Scot Gov adviser) said about the  current situation in Scotland being "delicate and complex" due to his opinion that the decreases are mostly down to the old variant and the new one keeping figures higher, but I am starting to feel slightly hopeful now.

He said: "We're on a knife edge in terms of suppressing new variants, which makes elimination of the new variants, through suppression methods, through lockdown methods, I'm not clear how we could achieve that. We're barely driving it down at all. We need some sustainable ways to deal with these new variants and adjustments to the vaccine would seem to be the primary way."

In saying that, I'll be more convinced when I see updated stats on the ones below from PHS at the start of next week to see if the picture looks a little better.

cases_per_100k.jpg

test_positivity.jpg

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Have they ever mentioned what’s going to happen regarding testing once everyone has been offered the vaccine? Will folk still have to self isolate if they test positive/are a close contact? Surely testing (outwith lateral flow) and test and protect/track and trace should be binned come June or July 

I suspect it will be one the public health measures that remains, particularly going into the winter months as it will help monitor the situation.  Testing will probably be scaled back if when cases fall away during Spring and Summer but I'd expected it will still be widespread as a means of controlling and monitoring any resurgences or (sorry for saying it) variants. 

Edited by super_carson

Go and check what objective means.

No, it will need to continue mainly for genomic sequencing of samples to check what variants are kicking about, also as far as I know the vaccine should reduce symptoms so if you have Covid symptoms and then a + Covid test we will need to know why you are displaying symptoms, has the vaccine worn off? Have you got a different strain? Etc. It will be scaled back but can't be canned, no idea about advising people to self isolate, I guess if the breaks are taken off before we get to 80% of the population vaccinated then people will need to isolate.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I don't envy the burden you carry being so correct all the time. Respect xx

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
The 21 June was not arbitrary - you do realise that is Misummer?

He and his advisers knew exactly how it would be taken.

I genuinely hope this is not another over by Autumn/Christmas/April etc moment.

Doing it for the Druids ?

Doing it for the headline writers, more like

MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM!

or, when it all goes a bit wrong-

MIDSUMMER MURDERS!

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Would be intrigued to know the age groups of these 769 (or more to the point have any of them been vaccinated - suspect not). Although case numbers are remaining at the same kind of level (maybe even dipping a bit, albeit very slowly), it would seem that cases aren't translating into hospitalisations. 

I can picture the move to the tier system being advanced at this rate (although I'm happy to stick with it through to end of Apr)

The data is available here.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Rates of positive tests is falling in all age groups.  Due to the lockdown, its hard to interpret what is due to vaccination and what is due to restrictions.