Coronavirus (COVID-19)

France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Czech Rep would appear to be getting hit with a new wave, although maybe this is the same one that hit us in January ??

Obviously the vaccination figure in those countries are way behind ourselves, so hopefully the vaccine will prevent a big increase in infections over here and stop the majority of hospitalisations and deaths.

I'm sure we'll find out sooner or later and should we be successful in keeping the virus at bay, then that will provide a cast iron rationale for opening everything back up once everyone has been vaccinated.

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

If you look around European media, a lot of the scientific advisors that are regularly interviewed etc get panned by the proles. Whitty and Valance get it really tight down south just as an example, and much of the patter is similar to what we see on here for Leitch and Devi. If you just search sackchriswhitty on twitter, you'll see what I mean. Virtually identical stuff. 

I think it's because this is having such an impact on people's lives, that the perception is that there people's advice, or decisions, could seriously restrict what people can do - so if you disagree, or their ideas aren't popular, it's a bit worse than your manager constantly playing your left back at right back, or whatever. Like few other issues, this stuff affects absolutely everybody, so nothing is niche,

You may think that, but i personally dont like her because of her ‘make your own sunshine’ pish. Clownshoes and Devi get our ire because they both come across as out of touch, have been proven wrong so many times and make you want to set fire to the tv every time they come on. Say what you will about Whitty or VT but they have come across far better than what we have up here.

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You may think that, but i personally dont like her because of her ‘make your own sunshine’ pish. Clownshoes and Devi get our ire because they both come across as out of touch, have been proven wrong so many times and make you want to set fire to the tv every time they come on. Say what you will about Whitty or VT but they have come across far better than what we have up here.

Fair enough, that shit would grate. 

As for your last sentence, I genuinely think that's because we have Leitch et al saturating us, while they have these others. 

It's exactly the same patter - love the sound of their own voices, want restrictions to continue because it keeps them in the spotlight, obsessed with keeping people locked up, constantly getting shit wrong but won't admit it etc

38 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Strangely enough "Devi" seems to get most of her coverage on here as I think I can count on the one hand the number of times I've heard her name mentioned in the msm since this pandemic began.

I should add that I don't venture on to Twitter nor Facebook so maybe she appears / is discussed there regularly ??

I also watch the SG update every day and again I think I've heard NS refer to her once and that was in relation to a journalists question, so personally I just don't really get why everyone gets so uptight about her ??

She was always one of the talking heads in the wee top corner box on gammon in chief Piers Morgans show. Think she pops up quite a lot on Sky too. BBC seem to be more for Linda as she is a bit more of a conservative looking MILF in a Fiona Bruce kind of way.

Edited by dirty dingus

12 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Whitty, particularly, is a personality vacuum and he knows it. He deals with facts and numbers and can't wait to be out of the limelight. You can see others are simply doing their jobs, some with a bit of panache.

Sridhar and Leitch are trying to project their personalities and agendas with a view to promoting themselves and their philosophies.

Whitty, particularly, is a personality vacuum and he knows it. He deals with facts and numbers and can't wait to be out of the limelight. You can see others are simply doing their jobs, some with a bit of panache.
Sridhar and Leitch are trying to project their personalities and agendas with a view to promoting themselves and their philosophies.
Leitch is just a PR man who is enjoying his moment of fame.

It's interesting to listen to him - he never uses "I" but "we" - it's clear he has very little say in the key decisions - one of those people who try to make their role more important than it actually is.

Devi is a different kettle of fish in that she is giving advice to the Scottish Government - but again that needs to be qualified - she won't be the only one giving advice and she won't have the final say. My biggest complaint about her is not the advice she gives but the fact that she is all over Twitter trying to push it - she really does need to shut the f**k up sometimes and leave the decisions to the elected politicians.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
The Italians have been very slow with their vaccination programme so far.

It's almost as if vaccines make a difference, eh?

Was thinking to myself maybe it's too simplistic, but I really don't think it is - the countries who are steaming on with their vaccinations seem to be faring a whole lot better than those that aren't (in the Western hemisphere)

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
The Italians have been very slow with their vaccination programme so far.

It's almost as if vaccines make a difference, eh?

That's what we are all hoping for, but there's still so much that we don't yet know

Spoiler

We just don't know what record setting, cigar smoking, unprecedented level of protection is going to be next to show up in the data, as the only true unknown so far from the vaccines has been the wild exceedance of expectations

Was thinking to myself maybe it's too simplistic, but I really don't think it is - the countries who are steaming on with their vaccinations seem to be faring a whole lot better than those that aren't (in the Western hemisphere)
Hasn't Spain gone down in line with UK (that was the BBC Scotland take before the briefing yesterday although didn't actually check their info) while vaccinating at a similar rate to Italy. Might be slightly more to it.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Leitch is just a PR man who is enjoying his moment of fame.

It's interesting to listen to him - he never uses "I" but "we" - it's clear he has very little say in the key decisions - one of those people who try to make their role more important than it actually is.

Devi is a different kettle of fish in that she is giving advice to the Scottish Government - but again that needs to be qualified - she won't be the only one giving advice and she won't have the final say. My biggest complaint about her is not the advice she gives but the fact that she is all over Twitter trying to push it - she really does need to shut the f**k up sometimes and leave the decisions to the elected politicians.

These are spot on. Whitty is the complete opposite of Leitch and Devi.

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Hasn't Spain gone down in line with UK (that was the BBC Scotland take before the briefing yesterday although didn't actually check their info) while vaccinating at a similar rate to Italy. Might be slightly more to it.

You might be right there. Saw a map of Europe yesterday (one of those where the darker the colour, the worse you're getting on) and Spain looked reasonable. Not heard any explanation / thinking why that would be though.

Other countries will take into account our vaccination levels 

That's France removed the "compelling" reason to enter the country for people from the UK

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210311-covid-19-france-eases-restrictions-on-some-international-travellers

You still have to have a negative test 72 hours before travel and I can see that being the case for a lot of nations this summer, which is perfectly fair

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

It now seems conceivable that the UK could end up being nowhere near the worst "performing" country in Europe and might eventually come out in the middle of the pack when all is said and done, which didn't seem at all likely six or even three months ago.

17 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

That's France removed the "compelling" reason to enter the country for people from the UK

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20210311-covid-19-france-eases-restrictions-on-some-international-travellers

You still have to have a negative test 72 hours before travel and I can see that being the case for a lot of nations this summer, which is perfectly fair

How does one go about procuring a full families worth of PCR tests in a window of 72 hours prior to a holiday? Cant see that happening unless travel agents/airlines are afforded resting allocation. Are folk supposed to lie to get a test?

18 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

It was also because the Kent variant is now widespread in France, so there's no point trying to keep it out. 

Welcome news, however. Still need a negative PCR but I suspect it'll be that way for a while yet. 

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Fair enough, that shit would grate. 

As for your last sentence, I genuinely think that's because we have Leitch et al saturating us, while they have these others. 

It's exactly the same patter - love the sound of their own voices, want restrictions to continue because it keeps them in the spotlight, obsessed with keeping people locked up, constantly getting shit wrong but won't admit it etc

Absolutely, they dont live in the real world.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Whitty just gets on with the job and doesnt seem to try to make himself the absolutely voice of authority or preach the way others do. He seems to have a grasp on reality.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How does one go about procuring a full families worth of PCR tests in a window of 72 hours prior to a holiday? Cant see that happening unless travel agents/airlines are afforded resting allocation. Are folk supposed to lie to get a test?

You can buy them, £90 a skull