Coronavirus (COVID-19)

There appears to be a lot on confusion out there as to how the Levels systems interacts with the timeable.  I'm one of those confused.
Is this timetable now what is being followed, or will Levels be re-introduced (when?) to further complicate matters and on 17th May for example, some pubs can open indoors but some wont be and will be delayed until....? depending on Levels?  The messaging is again confusing and poor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56419647

I don't think they have fully explained yet how the levels are set. They've gave info on the required cases and test positivity to move between levels but I think there is more factors to be announced (perhaps hospitalisations and vaccines?). Required case and positivity values for each level are shown in the table in the article below.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19143984.covid-scotland-lockdown-level-area-latest-figures-revealed/

From what I've seen both timetables and levels are being introduced from 26th April. Any changes before that date are for the whole country. The dates given are just the earliest possible for each area. For example if an area has 45 cases/100k and 3% positivity they'd likely be allowed to move down to level 2 on 17th May. If they had 55 cases/100k and 6% positivity they would have to wait for it to come down first to then go to level 2 on another date.
There is still a whiff of "we'll make things up as we go along" about this though.

15 minutes ago, charger29 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56419647

I don't think they have fully explained yet how the levels are set. They've gave info on the required cases and test positivity to move between levels but I think there is more factors to be announced (perhaps hospitalisations and vaccines?). Required case and positivity values for each level are shown in the table in the article below.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19143984.covid-scotland-lockdown-level-area-latest-figures-revealed/

From what I've seen both timetables and levels are being introduced from 26th April. Any changes before that date are for the whole country. The dates given are just the earliest possible for each area. For example if an area has 45 cases/100k and 3% positivity they'd likely be allowed to move down to level 2 on 17th May. If they had 55 cases/100k and 6% positivity they would have to wait for it to come down first to then go to level 2 on another date.
There is still a whiff of "we'll make things up as we go along" about this though.

Thanks. Clear as mud!

So using 17th May as an example when "adult contract sport can resume" eg fitba below SPFL, I read that as perhaps it can in  say Fife and Edinburgh, but it wouldn't in the Lothians as things stand as they wouldn't fall into the Level 2 limits, they'd still be at Level 3.

Heard a guy on GMS this morning, a social psychologist. Forget his name. Anyway, he was giving it the stuff that we need to go really slowly because "cases" are 50 times higher than at the lowest levels last summer. 

1. We are testing much more.

2. We have a vaccine that is cutting hospitalisations and deaths. This was always the point of lockdown.

Honestly feel like some folk are moving the goalposts. Expect many stories on the Phillipines Variant today and how this means we might have to delay exiting lockdown. 

"A policy of asking incomers from high-risk countries to quarantine ended on 13 March 2020. From then until 8 June, the UK had no border measures in place."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/16/uks-response-to-covid-issues-that-a-public-inquiry-could-examine

You sometimes forget how insane this all was.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

"A policy of asking incomers from high-risk countries to quarantine ended on 13 March 2020. From then until 8 June, the UK had no border measures in place."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/16/uks-response-to-covid-issues-that-a-public-inquiry-could-examine

You sometimes forget how insane this all was.

One of my brothers pals worked in Tesco in Corstorphine, fairly close to Edinburgh airport and there were absolutely tonnes of tourists coming here over March/April/May time coming from all sorts of places, people asking staff directions, with big suitcases etc, utterly unfathomable.

The Covid One Year Ago account is all the evidence you need to support setting up a public inquiry.

Both health experts and politicians got it badly, badly wrong and their failings should be laid bare for everyone to see and so lessons can be learned.

I would support two inquiries north and south of the border to avoid accusations of partisanship. No reason why the Scottish government shouldn't face scrutiny of how they have acted.

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

The Covid One Year Ago account is all the evidence you need to support setting up a public inquiry.

Both health experts and politicians got it badly, badly wrong and their failings should be laid bare for everyone to see and so lessons can be learned.

I would support two inquiries north and south of the border to avoid accusations of partisanship. No reason why the Scottish government shouldn't face scrutiny of how they have acted.

And continue to act.

4 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Last 24 hours

625 new cases - 3% positivity

422 in hospital - down 18

38 in ICU - down 4

12 have died

Whilst we use this metric I doubt we'll get to zero deaths any time soon. I could be asymptomatic and yet test positive, and 27 days later get run over by a bus. I would then end up as one of these numbers. The NRS metric is a little better but they have loosened the definition so much it isn't really clear.

8 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Last 24 hours

625 new cases - 3% positivity

422 in hospital - down 18

38 in ICU - down 4

12 have died

NS saying that this is the first time in 2021 where weekly deaths have been below the five year average for this time of year.

Fantastic news, and further evidence that the vaccines are working a treat.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

NS saying that this is the first time in 2021 where weekly deaths have been below the five year average for this time of year.

Fantastic news, and further evidence that the vaccines are working a treat.

Yep - and remember that the 5 year average is going to see a bump for the next 2 months as we factor in the 2020 excess deaths, so we could soon be well below the average.

Regarding Five a Sides.  they are certainly currently running in Dundee at Soccerworld.

No tackling and social distancing must be stretching the bounds of reality.

As the Polis are always playing it must be fine.

I assume other outdoor 5s have not reopened as non contact sport ?

Following the latest Government Restrictions, SoccerWorld will be open for limited outdoor bookings under strict guidelines.

• All bookings must adhere to Non-Contact Rules (No tackling, no handshakes, respect social distancing)
  • Outdoor pitches only
  • Maximum 14 players per pitch
  • No entry to the building including toilet facilities.
  • Payments to be made in full by one nominated player at the main entrance.
  • Please turn up no more than 5 minutes before your booking is due to start and wait in your car until your pitch time.
  • Thermal Cameras are in operation
  • Hand Sanitisers are available

Edited by superbigal

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Whilst we use this metric I doubt we'll get to zero deaths any time soon. I could be asymptomatic and yet test positive, and 27 days later get run over by a bus. I would then end up as one of these numbers. The NRS metric is a little better but they have loosened the definition so much it isn't really clear.

This really isn't the case. 

Also, we have to bear in mind that many people take longer than 28 days to die. 

The only person I 'know' that died (friend of a friend) was on a ventilator at Xmas and only passed last week. 

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

This really isn't the case. 

Also, we have to bear in mind that many people take longer than 28 days to die. 

The only person I 'know' that died (friend of a friend) was on a ventilator at Xmas and only passed last week. 

That's the point I'm making - the "within 28 days of a positive test" can count people who shouldn't be there as per my example, and also miss people as some folk can be in hospital with Covid for weeks before dying. The NRS metric is more accurate, but still not 100% accurate.

Thanks. Clear as mud!
So using 17th May as an example when "adult contract sport can resume" eg fitba below SPFL, I read that as perhaps it can in  say Fife and Edinburgh, but it wouldn't in the Lothians as things stand as they wouldn't fall into the Level 2 limits, they'd still be at Level 3.

Yeah, that's how I'd read it currently.