Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Numbers are wrong today.

Just a heads up for todays figures! What I think this means is that 701 new cases were reported today, but 177 old duplicate cases were removed from the overall total, meaning that the total number of cases only increased by 524.

Removing old test data doesn't mean today's total is wrong.

Unless they do that every day and announce the number of positive results as a net change, that seems like clutching at straws.

Cases are slowly increasing, and we all know why.

I don't trust the likes of Leitch, Sridhar etc to have the balls to dismiss the trend even if hospital numbers keep falling.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

A rather childish and indeed selfish reply I'd say.

So what about all the over 60's who don't even own a smart phone or have any idea how to use one ?

What about those who can't afford a smartphone and are unable to get credit to purchase one via a contract ?

As I've said, even in the over 60 category these days the number of people who do not have a mobile will likely be tiny. I'm sure local councils/GPs can arrange some sort of card which digitally holds their vaccine info for them if they are unable to get access to a phone. I've got about 4 old phones in my house that I would happily give to any friends or family who need one, I'm sure you and plenty others would do the same. Nobody needs to sign up to EE on an 18 month deal. This is what I mean when I said people are making it out to be much worse than it actually will be. 

Edited by The Moonster

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

A bitter blow for the "we just don't know" camp

Reveal hidden contents

b60

Screenshot_20210325-152845_Opera.jpg

That's a lot of 0-14 year olds visiting nail bars, which we all know are supposed to be closed. 

Disgusting. 

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Highest cases are the people who leave the house the most. 

You could make a case for the 20-24 group to have highest case rates - look at the table.  That's 397 for a five year group ( average 79 per year) and 1340 for a twenty year group (average 67 per year)....similarly the high number of young children infected is spead over fifteen  ages. (54)

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Highest cases are the people who havent been vaccinated. 

Anyone interpreting it differently at this stage is either desperate for a childish argument (fair enough tbh) or desperate for continued restriction.

I'm not desperate for any argument nor do I want restrictions for 1 more day than is required, I just thought the figures pretty clearly supported the view that schools are pushing transmission of the virus here. 

Well, we'll just have to get on with it, won't we?
You can sit in the garden, it's not like you'll be stuck indoors.
"We" as if you're not a 90 year old pensioner.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As I've said, even in the over 60 category these days the number of people who do not have a mobile will likely be tiny. I'm sure local councils/GPs can arrange some sort of card which digitally holds their vaccine info for them if they are unable to get access to a phone. I've got about 4 old phones in my house that I would happily give to any friends or family who need one, I'm sure you and plenty others would do the same. Nobody needs to sign up to EE on an 18 month deal. This is what I mean when I said people are making it out to be much worse than it actually will be. 

There's about 20% of people don't have a bank account, I'd be surprised if there's not a similar or larger % without a smartphone. 

22 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

You could make a case for the 20-24 group to have highest case rates - look at the table.  That's 397 for a five year group ( average 79 per year) and 1340 for a twenty year group (average 67 per year)....similarly the high number of young children infected is spead over fifteen  ages. (54)

Is not per million of population for each group?

My main takeaway from the figures are that cases may well be rising, and have been for 3 weeks or so, but hospitalisations are not. That *should* see us drop the obsession with case numbers..
A lot of people have said similar on here. Myself included. Once case numbers become irrelevant, so do case drivers.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

You'll presumably be basing this decision on you being in a tiny minority of equally selfish people. 

You can guarantee his reasons for not getting it will be based on moon-howling pseudoscience that's been widely discredited outwith his own social media echo chamber.