Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517
There it is. 79 cases and 19 deaths in the UK. More than was originally publicised - fuel to the fire of anti-vaxxers, that. 

This is going to prompt a wave of vaccine hesitancy, unfortunately. 

Antivax people would use whatever way they found it today to fuel their fire.

The Majority of sane people would, I assume, take comfort in them looking further into all the data and acting extremely cautiously, considering how insanely small this risk is.

3 minutes ago, Pato said:

Mind when all the blue ticks were taking the piss out of those continentals for not giving the AZ jab to young folk, some laugh eh

They were using concerns to mask the absolute pig’s ear that they had made of procurement.

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

The EU have further fucked it then. Basically the MHRA is saying no under 30s out of caution but it won't really impact us due to how good the rollout has been with it so far.

The EMA won't specifically ban it because they know they need it to catch up but they've absolutely humped it with the EU public from day one.

They've asked that blood clots be added to the list of possible side effects with a 0.0006% occurrence. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I like those odds and am comfortable with them. 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

So "serious harm" in u30s outweighs chance of admission to ICU according to V Tams slide at low prevelance. Not sure that's helpful !

If that’s correct, that u30s are genuinely at more risk from the vaccine giving them a life threatening blood clot (0.00000039% based on the figures given) than from being admitted to ICU through Covid, then you’re essentially admitting that Covid is less of a percentage risk to u30s than 0.00000039%. 

I don’t believe that’s true, but if it is true, it’s essentially saying Covid is finished and u30s should be living life entirely as normal from tomorrow.

While this is a bit of a bugger I can't see it being too much of an issue. The under 30s aren't going to be the ones taking up hospital beds.

As a healthy 29 year old I'd be happy to take the AZ vaccine but if that's no longer an option then so be it. With Moderna on the way this hopefully shouldn't slow things too much.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

So "serious harm" in u30s outweighs chance of admission to ICU according to V Tams slide at low prevelance. Not sure that's helpful !

It's also simultaneously highlighting that covid is not a danger to under 30s. 

That should get the pearl clutches going what they do best when that message sinks and the restrictions are totally ignored. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Good to see a proper analysis of the relative risk. 

Shows how unlikely a healthy 30 year old is to get seriously ill with this virus. 

I’ve already had my first dose and unfortunately I’m not under 30 but if I was I would still take it if offered. 4 in a million chance of this side effect. Higher side effect risks in some over the counter medicines. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

If that’s correct, that u30s are genuinely at more risk from the vaccine giving them a life threatening blood clot (0.00000039% based on the figures given) than from being admitted to ICU through Covid, then you’re essentially admitting that Covid is less of a percentage risk to u30s than 0.00000039%. 

I don’t believe that’s true, but if it is true, it’s essentially saying Covid is finished and u30s should be living life entirely as normal from tomorrow.

Unless they are really fat 

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I was heavily red dotted for saying exactly this last week.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've found Van Tam to be a complete tit throughout this tbh. He's said just as many unhelpful things as Leitch and Witty.

He demonstrated a slide with "risk" at low, medium and high prevelance. Low I think he said was 30 per 100k and that slide had "risk" at 1.1 to an 0.8 chance of ending up in ICU. That risk skewed back positively at medium and high prevelance.

TBH what Van Tam is saying now is what I was thinking. In medicine, there are regular changes in thinking and approach when it comes to treatment in just about everything.

If anything, it actually makes me slightly more confident that the rollout of the vaccines is working properly.

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56665517

There it is. 79 cases and 19 deaths in the UK. More than was originally publicised - fuel to the fire of anti-vaxxers, that. 

At least there's the J&J vaccine on the horizon. Saying that, I'm 31 - do I honestly believe the vaccine is fine for me, but would've been too risky if I were a couple of years younger? Absolutely not. 

This is going to prompt a wave of vaccine hesitancy, unfortunately. 

And not one family has managed to get on TV or in a paper to tell their story. 

Reporting restrictions confirmed.