Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Looks like Germany have joined Spain and Ireland in refusing crowds for the Euros. Alternative venues to be confirmed next week with London being touted for at least a couple.

Sky sports news yesterday said they don’t expect countries where Superleague clubs arose from to be offered anything extra.

Then again they were screaming about punishing the 6 clubs repeatedly and were probably using it as a stick to beat them with.

Sky sports news yesterday said they don’t expect countries where Superleague clubs arose from to be offered anything extra.

Then again they were screaming about punishing the 6 clubs repeatedly and were probably using it as a stick to beat them with.
Ah decent point, never thought of that. It was BBC touting stadiums in London so probably just wishful thinking.

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Thats virgin atlantic pulled out of Glasgow due to the uncertainty from the Scottish Government. Ah well. 

That's a kick in the stones for folk coming here as well.

Disappointing as in theory you can leave Scotland but America has its borders shut for enormous chunks of the world.

Need to get consumer confidence back up as it's likely international travel restrictions will ease during the summer but airlines won't care what the restrictions are if folk don't have confidence to book flights, especially with flights to America tending to be booked far in advance

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I look forward to the final of the Euros to be held at Central Park 

10 hours ago, Elixir said:

Do believe I stated as such just the other week. 4U0m6pP.png

I do believe you have stated (well pretty much trawling twitter and other sources) hunners of things over the past year - bound to get one right eventually.

Infinite Monkey Theorem?

image.jpeg.b6117bace0ddba33ccf661a7014232f6.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I do believe you have stated (well pretty much trawling twitter and other sources) hunners of things over the past year - bound to get one right eventually.

Infinite Monkey Theorem?

image.jpeg.b6117bace0ddba33ccf661a7014232f6.jpeg

Think you'll find I've only been posting my hot takes in this thread since February, champ. 4U0m6pP.png

17 minutes ago, Michael W said:

London and indeed Glasgow (already host cities) are not short of high capacity venues if there's a willingness to step in. 

It would make sense. 

Aye because UEFA are best pals with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at the moment.

West Ham has a good chance of helping them out although Boris should be clawing back the cash to the tax payer seeing as they are only tenants.

19 minutes ago, Michael W said:

London and indeed Glasgow (already host cities) are not short of high capacity venues if there's a willingness to step in. 

It would make sense. 

not really tho, there would almost certainly be no international fans allowed . it would just be the same sanitised pish but with neutrals instead of fans

12 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem with this is two-fold.

Firstly, how many would be willing to book a holiday knowing they were at the mercy of a test as to whether they had wasted their money or not.

And secondly, what insurance company is going to underwrite policies that will cover either the travel agent or individual in the event they test positive, and at what premium?

If tests are required on top of vaccines to go on holiday (and the threat of quarantine status changing at any time), the market will take an absolute pounding and the industry will collapse.

In that scenario, do the UK Gov / SG continue to shovel money into keeping travel companies viable, or do they write off the jobs?

I'll add in extra,

Who wants to go when you could end up confined to your hotel room for 2 weeks after a positive test

who wants to go on holiday where you have to wear masks all the time along with any other restrictions ?

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

not really tho, there would almost certainly be no international fans allowed . it would just be the same sanitised pish but with neutrals instead of fans

This is going to apply in just about every host country, though, unless there's a mass relaxation. 

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Aye because UEFA are best pals with Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at the moment.

West Ham has a good chance of helping them out although Boris should be clawing back the cash to the tax payer seeing as they are only tenants.

I'm sure the RFU will be more than happy to lend them Twickenham as well. There are also a few grounds in England as well with high capacities that don't belong to the breakaway - St James' Park, Villa Park and even the Stadium of Light (49,000). 

UEFA also wants to minimise ticket refunds so to an extent will take whatever they can actually get. 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Whereas your contributions, which consist of complaining about people complaining, have really been the interesting commentary this thread has needed.

Diddums .  Did the nasty man disagree with you?

Edited by Wee Bully

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/23/oxford-malaria-vaccine-proves-highly-effective-in-burkina-faso-trial

Another crushing, Fort William scale L on the cards for the anti-vax brigade. Despite a visible social media presence, I suspect their tenuous hold over the gullible is shrinking fast in the wake of actual vaccine rollout and success.