Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Got my first Pfizer on Tuesday, very mildly stiff arm and a bit of tiredness. 

Is Pfizer a euphemism in this post?

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Late 20's & got my first dose of Pfizer the other day via the magic blue letter received a day or a few days before they opened up the online registration. Nae side effects bar a bit of occasional discomfort in my arm.

Raging I never got a lollipop for being a big brave boy & taking the jab with no issue.

You don't get a lolly when you use a boxing term for a jag.

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't think Sturgeon and Gove's comments are unrelated. Another winter of lockdown is pencilled in.

No reason for another lockdown but do think Furlough should be available well into next year even if it was sector specific.

We are in a third wave. An exit wave. Whatever you want to call it. Cases are clearly out of control in Scotland, I find myself chuckling at people absolutely furious about media/the First Minister/Leitch saying this. It’s a statement of fact. Cases aren’t as important as they once were, obviously, and the wave itself shouldn’t be nearly as bad as the others. That should be stressed. But it’s still a third wave regardless, and there’s still a correlation between numbers of cases and numbers of hospitalisations even if the guaranteed link is broken - previously it was about 10% of all cases would end up in hospital, and we simply won’t have 80 hospital admissions based on today’s positive cases. That’s great news but it could still be 20, or 30. It’s unsustainable to just let that keep building up again because 30 won’t come out every day.

What hospitals are seeing more regularly is people with one dose of vaccine presenting to them and that creates a massive problem for the UK and the 12-week gap between doses. It’s being dealt with and that’s great, but it takes time to implement. About half of 50-60 year olds have one dose in Scotland at the moment, for context, and 25% of 60-65 year olds. From the little we know, which is mostly just Hancock’s blethering about Bolton, the problem with single doses not working as well is a direct result of the Indian variant and would not be a problem right now if it hadn’t been imported en masse. This is 100% the fault of the UK Government, if Johnson didn’t want to play Emperor to get a trade deal it wouldn’t have happened and we’d still be puffing on the cigars.

Having said all that, the Indian variant is here now. Cases are rising. It is what it is. Short of another lockdown we can’t stop that. Up until early May, it was looking like we were on the way out of everything with next to no exit wave. All that is fundamentally different now is the route to normality will see more people in hospital, and more dead, than we thought a month ago. It’ll also clearly be a few weeks slower, Scotland have already made that clear and England will follow eventually. The can is getting kicked down the road, but it shouldn’t change the fundamental fact that vaccines work, and the full population will be vaccinated soon.

The more this goes on the more I wonder if Mark fucking Drakeford was the visionary we didn’t know we had, when he told us in March that 2021 was fucked.

Seems like the risk to children is going to be the next excuse for retaining restrictions. Swinney’s now on about new variants potentially posing greater risk to kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jun/03/uk-covid-live-news-coronavirus-schools-pupils-indian-nepal-delta-variant-latest-updates?page=with%3Ablock-60b8a4e58f082e80569f4cc6

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

The more this goes on the more I wonder if Mark fucking Drakeford was the visionary we didn’t know we had, when he told us in March that 2021 was fucked.

He was just more honest than Johnson, Sturgeon and Foster.

They all attend the same meetings.

5 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Seems like the risk to children is going to be the next excuse for retaining restrictions. Swinney’s now on about new variants potentially posing greater risk to kids.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jun/03/uk-covid-live-news-coronavirus-schools-pupils-indian-nepal-delta-variant-latest-updates?page=with%3Ablock-60b8a4e58f082e80569f4cc6

Did SG not admit this number was incorrect?

46 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

We should just chuck it all if thats the kinda shite shes hitting out with. Absolutely fucking desperate to avoid opening up. 

Doesnt work when we’ve all got to live with restrictions. 

It's not unvaccinated people who are enforcing the restrictions.

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

We are in a third wave. An exit wave. Whatever you want to call it. Cases are clearly out of control in Scotland, I find myself chuckling at people absolutely furious about media/the First Minister/Leitch saying this. It’s a statement of fact. Cases aren’t as important as they once were, obviously, and the wave itself shouldn’t be nearly as bad as the others. That should be stressed. But it’s still a third wave regardless, and there’s still a correlation between numbers of cases and numbers of hospitalisations even if the guaranteed link is broken - previously it was about 10% of all cases would end up in hospital, and we simply won’t have 80 hospital admissions based on today’s positive cases. That’s great news but it could still be 20, or 30. It’s unsustainable to just let that keep building up again because 30 won’t come out every day.

What hospitals are seeing more regularly is people with one dose of vaccine presenting to them and that creates a massive problem for the UK and the 12-week gap between doses. It’s being dealt with and that’s great, but it takes time to implement. About half of 50-60 year olds have one dose in Scotland at the moment, for context, and 25% of 60-65 year olds. From the little we know, which is mostly just Hancock’s blethering about Bolton, the problem with single doses not working as well is a direct result of the Indian variant and would not be a problem right now if it hadn’t been imported en masse. This is 100% the fault of the UK Government, if Johnson didn’t want to play Emperor to get a trade deal it wouldn’t have happened and we’d still be puffing on the cigars.

Having said all that, the Indian variant is here now. Cases are rising. It is what it is. Short of another lockdown we can’t stop that. Up until early May, it was looking like we were on the way out of everything with next to no exit wave. All that is fundamentally different now is the route to normality will see more people in hospital, and more dead, than we thought a month ago. It’ll also clearly be a few weeks slower, Scotland have already made that clear and England will follow eventually. The can is getting kicked down the road, but it shouldn’t change the fundamental fact that vaccines work, and the full population will be vaccinated soon.

Who are all these people who’re going to be hospitalised? Near enough half of adults have 2 doses- this covers the groups that previously made up 99% of hospitalisations.

Three quarters have 1 dose. The groups not yet vaccinated are at more risk of hospitalisation from flu so I don’t imagine significant numbers going into hospital now.

Of course some will but that shouldn’t be in numbers that will overwhelm the NHS.

32 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:
Who are all these people who’re going to be hospitalised? Near enough half of adults have 2 doses- this covers the groups that previously made up 99% of hospitalisations.
Three quarters have 1 dose. The groups not yet vaccinated are at more risk of hospitalisation from flu so I don’t imagine significant numbers going into hospital now.
Of course some will but that shouldn’t be in numbers that will overwhelm the NHS.

You’re quoting me where I’ve literally told you the answer. 25% of 60-65 year olds have one more dose before full vaccination, 50% of 50-60 year olds are the same. This has been brought forward but it isn’t done yet. Those people plus ‘the vulnerable’ not yet double dosed, plus the much smaller but not irrelevant numbers of 30-50 year olds who end up in hospital, who have no hope of double dosing soon, plus the unvaccinated.

I said nothing about overwhelming the NHS.  It won’t be overwhelmed, if that’s what you want to hear. Something I feel like politicians/people like oor Devi often forget is that even if all those mentioned above do get Covid before full vaccination, they won’t all get it at once.

Edited by Paco

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Perhaps I'm being an idiot here, but 2.1 million people have been doubled dosed in Scotland, surely that's more than half of 50-60 years olds, and more than 25% of 60-65?

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I'm being an idiot here, but 2.1 million people have been doubled dosed in Scotland, surely that's more than half of 50-60 years olds, and more than 25% of 60-65?

Looking at travelling Tabby, 50-54 is 41% double dosed and 55-59 is 61% double dosed so aye, 50% of 50-60 needing a second dose looks about right.

9 minutes ago, Paco said:

You’re quoting me where I’ve literally told you the answer. 25% of 60-65 year olds have one dose, 50% of 50-60 year olds have one dose. 

OK - you typed that previously and I took it as a typo but you've now doubled down on it.

So I need to ask where you're pulling this insanity from.

Do you mean those numbers still REQUIRE one dose or have one dose still to come? That's a very different thing.

image.thumb.png.7ebc483b2cd6cd6f74713defcfa9400f.png

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Looking at travelling Tabby, 50-54 is 41% double dosed and 55-59 is 61% double dosed so aye, 50% of 50-60 needing a second dose looks about right.

So 50-54 is 41% double dosed, but the higher risk 60-65 is only 25%? Doesn't make a lot of sense if the data is up to date.

43 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Who is taking all these tests?

I don't see the mobile testing units any more and haven't heard about anyone isolating for ages.

There's a lot of surge testing ongoing in Glasgow due to outbreaks. Renfrewshire had some too. 

I presume it also counts Lateral flow tests people take at home. 

Just now, GiGi said:

So 50-54 is 41% double dosed, but the higher risk 60-65 is only 25%? Doesn't make a lot of sense if the data is up to date.

I thought @Paco said it was 25%  needing a second dose. Looks more like 18% from the data above.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

OK - you typed that previously and I took it as a typo but you've now doubled down on it.

So I need to ask where you're pulling this insanity from.

Do you mean those numbers still REQUIRE one dose or have one dose still to come? That's a very different thing.

image.thumb.png.7ebc483b2cd6cd6f74713defcfa9400f.png

Looks like I was looking at a day or two old TT chart. The 60-64 bracket has changed slightly at least, which is good news. 18% is much better than 25%. 

Will still be broadly 50% in the 50-60 range though. 

and yes, it’s those numbers requiring a second dose. Not yet to have a first dose. Which would clearly be madness and wildly wrong. 

Edited by Paco

54 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Fair enough that is a bit dodgy sounding. I personally just leave my phone and laptop on the table and don’t bother looking at them unless on call, but appreciate that some people aren’t comfortable doing that or are pressured into checking it. 

There will be plenty of folk whose employers simply see it as the natural direction of travel and let it run. They are obviously the lucky ones. 

The bbc however have had plenty examples of running interference on this on behalf of the govt or big business. That article just seems to be set up as telling folk the grass isnt always greener, but if they still want it, be prepared to accept the terms... a pre emptive "well your the ones that asked for this" job. 

3 minutes ago, renton said:

The figures mess with my brain but that's probably down to me being shite at maths/not properly understanding the English written in front of me. Travelling Tabby has 48.1% of all Scottish adults having received their second dose, which has me asking how 50% of adults over 50 can still be needing done.