Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Shop workers have been telling BBC Radio 5 Live they want customers to keep on wearing masks.

The prime minister is expected to announce later that wearing face masks will become voluntary in England.

Cheryl (pictured) is a shop worker from Gloucester. She says "we'll be losing shop workers hand over fist" if the measures are relaxed.

"People can choose whether they want to go into a shop or not; the people that work in the shops can’t. They don’t have the choice and they don’t have the protection.

"Take the masks away and that’s our last line of defence."

Cheryl, in Shropshire, works in a supermarket. She's already seen a decrease in the number of people wearing masks in the store.

"People are getting closer," she says.

"When they talk to you, they have to stand very close to you and they’re not wearing masks and not respecting social distancing.

"It’s as if we don’t exist because we’re wearing that uniform," she adds.

"If we become sick, how are they going to get their bread and milk? They’re totally disrespecting us.

what a load of absolute nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Incredibly poor take on the government imposing measures on kids who have no way of challenging them IMO.

School itself is literally a measure imposed on kids by the government and yet somehow we cope with this grave injustice.

Children should be neither seen nor heard and if wrapping them in a muzzle helps to limit the societal impact from all their grotty habits then I can live with that as well.  

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

She is yet to produce evidence of these numbers, funnily enough. 

Maybe they're from the same calculator that produced her "2-3x January peak" by the end of June estimate. 

She's still not given up twitter then.  Her grasp of English is about as good as her grasp of maths seemingly.

I have forgotten to wear masks a few times and no-one challanged me.  Maybe it's because I'm such a hard looking c**t or maybe no-one could be arsed.  I know where my money is.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Shop workers have been telling BBC Radio 5 Live they want customers to keep on wearing masks.

The prime minister is expected to announce later that wearing face masks will become voluntary in England.

Cheryl (pictured) is a shop worker from Gloucester. She says "we'll be losing shop workers hand over fist" if the measures are relaxed.

"People can choose whether they want to go into a shop or not; the people that work in the shops can’t. They don’t have the choice and they don’t have the protection.

Cheryl, in Shropshire, works in a supermarket. She's already seen a decrease in the number of people wearing masks in the store.

"When they talk to you, they have to stand very close to you and they’re not wearing masks and not respecting social distancing.

"If we become sick, how are they going to get their bread and milk? They’re totally disrespecting us.

Have you heard of the ludicrously effective vaccines Cheryl ya daft bint.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Still raging that they didn't get that £500 bonus like ICU nurses for their great sacrifice. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Just back from getting my second jag.  I noticed one of the things on the nurses screen was the batch number so asked if there was anyway I could access the batch number I'd had (is it on your vaccine certificate etc.) to see if it came from the UK or India.  She had a poke about using her own logon the the vaccination site but couldn't find the batch numbers she'd had..

Wonder how this will play out with the EU not currently approving doses from the SII.  I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually but probably not until a bit of posturing has been done.

I had a look last night at my vaccine status on the NHS website. 

There's nothing that mentions batch numbers, but it did have the manufacturer as AstraZeneca AB. This is obviously the Swedish manufacturer, but I've no idea if ALL AstraZeneca vaccines carry a generic manufacturer name.....or if it specifically mentions AZ India when that vaccine has been given. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I have forgotten to wear masks a few times and no-one challanged me.  Maybe it's because I'm such a hard looking c**t or maybe no-one could be arsed.  I know where my money is.

Ditto and mine is definitely the first one.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I had a look last night at my vaccine status on the NHS website. 

There's nothing that mentions batch numbers, but it did have the manufacturer as AstraZeneca AB. This is obviously the Swedish manufacturer, but I've no idea if ALL AstraZeneca vaccines carry a generic manufacturer name.....or if it specifically mentions AZ India when that vaccine has been given. 

Both the UK made and SII made doses are called Vaxzevria on the NHS site.   There was an article on BBC news about it last week.  The only way to distinguish them is looking at the batch numbers.  We have 3 batch numbers in the UK that came from SII.  I wasn't fussed which ones I got.  More curious than anything else.   As I said I'm sure the EU will approve the same vaccine it's already approved eventually.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Just back from getting my second jag.  I noticed one of the things on the nurses screen was the batch number so asked if there was anyway I could access the batch number I'd had (is it on your vaccine certificate etc.) to see if it came from the UK or India.  She had a poke about using her own logon the the vaccination site but couldn't find the batch numbers she'd had..

Wonder how this will play out with the EU not currently approving doses from the SII.  I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually but probably not until a bit of posturing has been done.

I asked for the batch number as I need it for the clinical trial I am on and my GP was able to read it off the wee bottle. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Both the UK made and SII made doses are called Vaxzevria on the NHS site.   There was an article on BBC news about it last week.  The only way to distinguish them is looking at the batch numbers.  We have 3 batch numbers in the UK that came from SII.  I wasn't fussed which ones I got.  More curious than anything else.   As I said I'm sure the EU will approve the same vaccine it's already approved eventually.

True. 

As I understand it, the issue is more administrative than something seriously wrong with the vaccine. However, as with everything connected with Brexit, the EU aren't likely to make it easy or convenient for people wanting to travel from the UK.

2 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

I asked for the batch number as I need it for the clinical trial I am on and my GP was able to read it off the wee bottle. 

I'm sure they'll record the batch number everyone gets probably in case it turns out they have a bad batch and need to know who could be affected.  It probably didn't cross anyone's mind that someone might want to distinguish between the same vaccine manufactured in different places which s why it isn't exposed on your vaccine certificate.

Another 'scientific' voice shrieks into the debate:

Lifting requirement to wear face coverings on public transport would be 'act of gross negligence', says Unite

The Unite union has said ending the requirement to wear face coverings on public transport would be “an act of gross negligence”.

The union represents workers in the transport industry, particularly bus drivers, and in a statement its national officer for passenger transport, Bobby Morton, said:

To end the requirement to wear masks on public transport would be an act of gross negligence by the government.

Rates of infection are continuing to increase and not only does mask wearing reduce transmissions, it helps provide reassurance to drivers and to passengers who are nervous about using public transport.

The idea of personal responsibility and hoping that people will wear masks is absolutely ridiculous. Members are already reporting there is an increase in passengers ignoring the rules on mask-wearing.

Until rates of Covid-19 are fully under control throughout the whole of the UK, the rules on mask-wearing on public transport should remain in place.

It is not an individual's legal obligation to keep up a pointless and inconvenient gesture to help your worker or customer's personal fucking psychodrama. 

Note the absolutely zero hard data provided to back up United's claim of "gross negligence", as hurt feelings would not actually stand up in a tribunal.

NB: I was travelling around by bus last week and found that the vast majority of drivers were not in fact wearing masks themselves. More power to them, but so much for the knee-trembling trepidation that this gubbins union official is claiming.

Edited by vikingTON

At the height of the first wave the non mask wearers were 2 types - the lanyard-wearing wheezing fatties and the strutting balls of testosterone - which are you?

I know at least 2 teachers who used the NHS PCR tests to avoid paying for private tests for their holiday to Cyprus last summer.
I wasn't meaning using it as a travel test. It was more a test to see if they were negative ahead of paying for a travel PCR.

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:
18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

At the height of the first wave the non mask wearers were 2 types - the lanyard-wearing wheezing fatties and the strutting balls of testosterone - which are you?

A strutting ball of wheezing lanyards.

I think the US are putting similar restrictions on AZ.

School itself is literally a measure imposed on kids by the government and yet somehow we cope with this grave injustice.
Children should be neither seen nor heard and if wrapping them in a muzzle helps to limit the societal impact from all their grotty habits then I can live with that as well.  
Don't start this horse shit again you Victorian era cretin !!!