Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Given that the new Health minister is a massive fan of Ayn Rand who valued the individual over society at all costs, it's a fair question.

It shouldn't be a surprise given the station, but I doubt we'll ever see a guest on any major network have their views qualified with;

'Audience, keep in mind this person is a capitalist who values economic growth above all things, including immediate public health. We must also keep in mind they value the individual above society'.

Yet, with a communist, this line of questioning is ok.

South Ayrshire have had mobile asymptomatic testing units for months now. Often see queues 20 long snaking outside them still. Someone said to me people use them to check negativity before paying for a PCR where needed to travel but that's purely anecdotal.

I know at least 2 teachers who used the NHS PCR tests to avoid paying for private tests for their holiday to Cyprus last summer.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I know at least 2 teachers who used the NHS PCR tests to avoid paying for private tests for their holiday to Cyprus last summer.

They were pretty fortunate to get away with this tbf. Maybe things changed at some point but I'm pretty sure your passport number needs to be on the negative test when travelling. The NHS ones won't have that information. 

Edited by Michael W

16 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

So, when any capitalist guests go on the show and speak in favour of loosening restrictions, the presenter should adopt a faux-concerned tone and undermine their views to the audience by implying they are completely ideologically informed by their prioritising the rights of the individual over all else?

Because it's the same thing.

Do you think the station should just begin each interview by questioning each guest on their view of the works of John Stuart Mill?

That question is McCarthy-era bullshit.

Just because you disagree with the guest, you don't need to defend appalling public discourse.

I literally used the word any - maybe read the post properly first! 

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I literally used the word any - maybe read the post properly first! 

I read it. I asked the specific question to see how you react to it as a public discourse tool.

So, do you think the population should be wary of loosening restrictions, given that they're being proposed by people ideologically less concerned with human life than with economic growth, indeed specifically from a party whose leader once said there is no such thing as society?

People who quite literally value the economy above your or my life.

The public, as far as I can tell, are not being warned about this.

This seems much more pressing to me than whether someone giving advice on an issue of their professional expertise is a member of one or other political party. He specifically used this to undermine her expert view. Yet we never see this in reverse.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

I read it. I asked the specific question to see how you react to it as a public discourse tool.

So, do you think the population should be wary of loosening restrictions, given that they're being proposed by people ideologically less concerned with human life than with economic growth, indeed specifically from a party whose leader once said there is no such thing as society?

People who quite literally value the economy above your or my life.

The public, as far as I can tell, are not being warned about this.

This seems much more pressing to me than whether someone giving advice on an issue of their professional expertise is a member of one or other political party.

Of course people should be wary of the Conservative party. People are more than capable of looking at the roaring success of vaccines and making their own mind up though. 

Resteictions loosening also aren’t solely being proposed by those people. 

If someone giving their professional expertise, is using their political views to alter their position then they absolutely should be called out on it. 

If we keep up this traffic analogy then the Lovejoys are like pavement cyclists who annoy everyone else just because they might get run over.

The vaccines are the equivalent of taking a safer, quieter, route instead of demanding  to cycle across the Kingston Bridge at rush hour/keep masks and restrictions forever

Ladz,a was out in Bathgate on Saturday nite there,the last venue I visited "Urban Kitchen" was like walking into another dimension,one we were all used to 16/17 months ago.

Strolled in and low and behold,DJ blasting out the tunes,lovely scantily clad ladies all around,I swear I was moist !!!

It was amazing and great to be back in that kind of normal environment again !!!

How anyone wants to remain in this shitfest beyond the 9th of August is beyond me.....

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course people should be wary of the Conservative party. People are more than capable of looking at the roaring success of vaccines and making their own mind up though. 

Resteictions loosening also aren’t solely being proposed by those people. 

If someone giving their professional expertise, is using their political views to alter their position then they absolutely should be called out on it. 

And it's not only being opposed by communists. So what makes this a legitimate line of questioning?

Since plenty of non-communists oppose loosening restrictions, you have no evidence (nor does the interviewer) that her politics are influencing her public statements.

Like I said, this is not a line of questioning applied in reverse. It would never even be thought about in reverse.

It's absolute bullshit from a horror show of a tv station.

2 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Ladz,a was out in Bathgate on Saturday nite there,the last venue I visited "Urban Kitchen" was like walking into another dimension,one we were all used to 16/17 months ago.

Strolled in and low and behold,DJ blasting out the tunes,lovely scantily clad ladies all around,I swear I was moist !!!

It was amazing and great to be back in that kind of normal environment again !!!

How anyone wants to remain in this shitfest beyond the 9th of August is beyond me.....

This brings a tear to my eye.  Thank you, brother.

2 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

I lost interest at ‘dj’, but glad you had a good night. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The medical profession seems to be universally against the lifting of restrictions on masks so I suspect that’ll be enough for the SG. 

It's not going to be enough because there's the question of enforcement once everyone sees the same restriction being chucked in the bin in England. I've got no intention of playing along with the SG's 'we care more!!!111!!!' parlour game and will be ditching it as and when advice changes elsewhere in the UK. I suspect a significant number of people are in the same position, and once the practice drops off then nobody is going to waste their time enforcing it. 

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Where are all these mini hitler mask inspectors? I've quite often gone out and about shopping etc and forgotten to bring a mask, nothing said apart from the dentist where they're understandably pretty strict.

The bus driver didn't let a maskless guy get on the bus last night. Guy claimed he had asthma but he wasn't getting on.

Actually he was an arrogant cnut and was holding up my bus so I was laughing at him not getting on. When the doors closed he went radge and kicked the bus as it was moving off. Twat.

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's not going to be enough because there's the question of enforcement once everyone sees the same restriction being chucked in the bin in England. I've got no intention of playing along with the SG's 'we care more!!!111!!!' parlour game and will be ditching it as and when advice changes elsewhere in the UK. I suspect a significant number of people are in the same position, and once the practice drops off then nobody is going to waste their time enforcing it. 

If the government keep them in schools, unfortunately those kids won’t have the option really. There’s more to this than adults making a stand by not wearing them to the supermarket.

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

If the government keep them in schools, unfortunately those kids won’t have the option really. There’s more to this than adults making a stand by not wearing them to the supermarket.

I couldn't really give a toss about schools tbh, given that they were allowed to drive a coach and horses through all the other restrictions over the past 15 months whenever it suited them.

Just now, virginton said:

I couldn't really give a toss about schools tbh, given that they were allowed to drive a coach and horses through all the other restrictions over the past 15 months whenever it suited them.

Incredibly poor take on the government imposing measures on kids who have no way of challenging them IMO.

Just back from getting my second jag.  I noticed one of the things on the nurses screen was the batch number so asked if there was anyway I could access the batch number I'd had (is it on your vaccine certificate etc.) to see if it came from the UK or India.  She had a poke about using her own logon the the vaccination site but couldn't find the batch numbers she'd had..

Wonder how this will play out with the EU not currently approving doses from the SII.  I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually but probably not until a bit of posturing has been done.