Coronavirus (COVID-19)

34 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

..although there are worse cities to just walk around in..
One poster on here (MM?) was asking for recommendations a bit back, and on checking, most attractions were open, some requiring booking, with just catering operations being restricted. I would assume they're even closer to normality now.

Yes York is pretty much entirely back to normal as far as I can see, bar the odd place still asking for masks. Currently wandering round a clothes shop behind my partner and I’d say it’s probably a 70/30 split in favour of people not wearing them.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I imagine universities will see record drop out rates in a year's time. Not just because students with inflated grades got places but they'll be sitting their first proper exams in years.

Aye, the wife works at RGU and is not looking forward to the students who will struggle this year. The uni obviously doesn't care too much because it's all just bums on seats and money to them, unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yes York is pretty much entirely back to normal as far as I can see, bar the odd place still asking for masks. Currently wandering round a clothes shop behind my partner and I’d say it’s probably a 70/30 split in favour of people not wearing them.

I was surprised in Asda last week* - the vast (90%+) majority of customers were stillwearing masks, bur at least half of the staff on the shopfloor had ditched them. That's the difference between a quick visit and an eight-hour shift, I suppose. (checkout staff have had screens for a while). 

*Monks Cross retail park - not one of the city's top attractions.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I was surprised in Asda last week* - the vast (90%+) majority of customers were stillwearing masks, bur at least half of the staff on the shopfloor had ditched them. That's the difference between a quick visit and an eight-hour shift, I suppose. (checkout staff have had screens for a while). 

*Monks Cross retail park - not one of the city's top attractions.

Definitely seems to vary. Yesterday I felt like most were still wearing them in shops, but today seems to be the opposite. That being said I’m in a clothes shop that is more aimed at younger people so that probably plays a part.

31 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Aye, the wife works at RGU and is not looking forward to the students who will struggle this year. The uni obviously doesn't care too much because it's all just bums on seats and money to them, unfortunately. 

The biggest issue (and still ongoing) is mental health of students. Referrals to the student counselling service tripled in the last year at our uni. This is currently what is causing most drop-outs. 

On the exams, it is a fair point that we may have a cohort coming in September who have never had the theatre of an actual exam hall. We're doing online assessments again this year so come 2022/23 if we get back to traditional exams, many students will struggle a lot. Some may have done exams in 4th year, followed by 3 years with no exams, then hit with it. 

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Definitely seems to vary. Yesterday I felt like most were still wearing them in shops, but today seems to be the opposite. That being said I’m in a clothes shop that is more aimed at younger people so that probably plays a part.

(resists temptation for Father Ted image)

I'm guessing as well, aimed at non-residents. Most residents will do their shopping outside the City, either at the three big retail parks on the ring road, or on trips to Meadowhall/White Rose Centre. 

I've never understood why there isn't further differentiation in the grade achieved.  Surely by awarding a score, say out of 100, for each exam would be able to demonstrate differences between students.  Alternatively, gradings could  be weighted, so that they are measured against the population sitting the exam eg only the top X% could achieve the highest award.  

12 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Sad that they just can’t bring themselves have an article with a total shagger like Balloux without giving equal coverage in the same piece to some miserable naysayer just being contrary for the sake of it.

His record and predictions as to the general timeline of the pandemic have been highly accurate from the outset, plus he's rational and not a bed wetter. Top lad.

54 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Pretty much the same as Giants Live at the Manchester Arena this Saturday although you need an official text or email for the LFT result.

A Lateral Flow Test result can officially be whatever you like.

Record a positive test as negative, or don't even bother to take the test.  All you do is enter the code from the kit before binning it. The result you record is what generates the e-mail or text.

I'm not advocating anyone doing that, just highlighting that a negative LFT text or e-mail proves literally nothing.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A Lateral Flow Test result can officially be whatever you like.

Record a positive test as negative, or don't even bother to take the test.  All you do is enter the code from the kit before binning it. The result you record is what generates the e-mail or text.

I'm not advocating anyone doing that, just highlighting that a negative LFT text or e-mail proves literally nothing.

I'm double jagged anyway so it doesn't matter to me, may cause issues for some people if they don't read the t&cs beforehand though.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

No digital version at the moment.  you request it through the NHS vaccination site and they send you a paper certificate.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We have to order a paper version online, only takes a few days.

Cheers, seems a bit daft not to have it in a digital format.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Cheers, seems a bit daft not to have it in a digital format.

Getting it next month supposedly. Think the SG was deliberately slow in an attempt not to encourage foreign travel.