Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
Aye I was saying the Swedish approach has been totally justified. 

So the SG was wrong in locking down the country when we could've carried on with more normality and produced similar figures?

That is so last month, what they should have done is go full passports from April like Denmark. Everyone on this thread would have cheered!

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Can't remember who it was, but, going by Goodison tonight, whoever claimed the English rules around sanitised zones around dugouts at football matches were the same as the stupidly large ones up here was clearly talking simpy shite.

Logically they wouldn't be as there's no Covid restrictions in England. It was a daft statement by whoever said it.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Hugely grateful that you managed to post that without a Colin Montgomerie looking sulky head shot.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Yes, I'm furious that the death toll is only 4.5 million and feel humiliated that I thought masks might reduce transmission somewhat.

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That is so last month, what they should have done is go full passports from April like Denmark. Everyone on this thread would have cheered!

Taking things well I see. eMlO2Ay.png

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Can't remember who it was, but, going by Goodison tonight, whoever claimed the English rules around sanitised zones around dugouts at football matches were the same as the stupidly large ones up here was clearly talking simpy shite.

As I stated before The Simps took it badly.

Think we can safely chalk this up as yet another W for The Good Guys.

4U0m6pP.png

The Telegraph says details of what comes next are still being worked out but a simpler "go" or "don't go" system is being considered.
"Double-jabbed travellers will only have to take a lateral flow test before boarding flights to come home and another two days after returning, under current thinking," the paper reports.

Pish if true. Still have the hassle and cost of getting a test while on holiday plus still running the risk of not being able to fly home with associated quarantine costs if positive. You can bet your bottom dollar the the day 2 LFT will need to be purchased too not the NHS ones kicking about most folks cupboards !

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The Telegraph says details of what comes next are still being worked out but a simpler "go" or "don't go" system is being considered.
"Double-jabbed travellers will only have to take a lateral flow test before boarding flights to come home and another two days after returning, under current thinking," the paper reports.

Pish if true. Still have the hassle and cost of getting a test while on holiday plus still running the risk of not being able to fly home with associated quarantine costs if positive. You can bet your bottom dollar the the day 2 LFT will need to be purchased too not the NHS ones kicking about most folks cupboards !

Aye that's not going to change much.

It's a start, but it's not going to be the confidence boost the travel industry needs IMO.

The Mail and Sun were reporting the pre-return test would be binned, so who knows. It needs to fucking go, though. They are clowns if they don't get this.
They need to get it into their thick skulls that it isn't the cost of tests putting people off but the consequences of testing positive and the inconvenience of testing.

People want to relax on holiday not worry about potentially failing a return to UK test.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

They need to get it into their thick skulls that it isn't the cost of tests putting people off but the consequences of testing positive and the inconvenience of testing.

People want to relax on holiday not worry about potentially failing a return to UK test.

It’s the costs as well.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
7 minutes ago, Left Back said:
It’s the costs as well.

People are not choosing to go on holiday for the sake of a £50 test package - they are not going because the consequences of having to self-isolate in another country (and those costs) are just too much of a risk.

Dont know, for many people I’ve met the extra £120 per person on the extortionate prices the SG were forcing people to pay meant foreign holidays were out for many working folks. A family of 4 who might have got a wee week in the sun in spain for £350 per person now facing costs of an extra £250 at least for mum and dad and more if the kids were over 12? Then theres the pre-flight pcr tests if you werent vaccinated and a family of 4 with 2 unvaccinated teens suddenly faces the need to find an extra £700-  £1000 or there abouts depending on costs of pre flight tests. If youre in a low to mid level household income bracket thats a serious consideration to be spending possibly 1-2% of your annual salary on covid tests (based on 40k household income?).

Dont know, for many people I’ve met the extra £120 per person on the extortionate prices the SG were forcing people to pay meant foreign holidays were out for many working folks. A family of 4 who might have got a wee week in the sun in spain for £350 per person now facing costs of an extra £250 at least for mum and dad and more if the kids were over 12? Then theres the pre-flight pcr tests if you werent vaccinated and a family of 4 with 2 unvaccinated teens suddenly faces the need to find an extra £700-  £1000 or there abouts depending on costs of pre flight tests. If youre in a low to mid level household income bracket thats a serious consideration to be spending possibly 1-2% of your annual salary on covid tests (based on 40k household income?).

You can get a pre-flight package for £68 a person now - depending where you were looking to go the cost of the actual holiday is a lower than past years.

Just today I could get you 2 weeks AI in a 4 star in Rhodes for less than £500. And that kind of deal is not unique - Tui are offering £150 off most of their late deals - I'm sure Jet2Holidays are doing something similar. OnTheBeach are also looking to do free travel testing.

Shop around and you can make up the difference quite easily.

Speaking to friends who have children 12+ they are not going because they just won't take the risk of one of their family testing positive and the consequences of that.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You can get a pre-flight package for £68 a person now - depending where you were looking to go the cost of the actual holiday is a lower than past years.

Just today I could get you 2 weeks AI in a 4 star in Rhodes for less than £500.

Shop around and you can make up the difference quite easily.

Speaking to friends who have children 12+ they are not going because they just won't take the risk of one of their family testing positive and the consequences of that.

Maybe you can now, I’ll take your word for it as I haven’t looked recently.  The arse was getting booted out of the costs until very recently, especially in Scotland when you could only use one government mandated test supplier.

What is happening now with costs didn’t affect peoples decisions in the summer.

ETA if you can get me VIP fast-track through Rhodes airport we might have done business.  Being a punter in Rhodes airport isn’t an experience I’d want to repeat any time soon though 🤣

Edited by Left Back

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The costs and associated inconvenience of it all are enough to put me off short breaks. They will almost certainly deter visitors as well by adding pointless and unnecessary expense, in the same manner I'd avoid going somewhere that makes me take a day 2 PCR - it's cost and hassle we can all do without. You add the costs up and it's just about the same as the flights or the hotel. 

That said, I agree with you on the risk of failing the a test before returning. 10 days inside a probable midden of a quarantine hotel don't bear thinking about