Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Don't see anything wrong with the Tesco ad tbh. It's a bit of humour using a topical theme. Like Aldi having Colin getting lifted in the background of theirs. Some will find it funny, others won't.

I've absolutely no doubt that @Detournement types down South will try to spin it as some sort of Government backed plan to normalise them before their introduction, though.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

All these people who are never going to vote SNP again are adding up I see.

51% of the vote for a Nationalist Party.  Get that referendum date set Nicola!

On 12/11/2021 at 15:10, Michael W said:

I will be shocked if the booster programme isn't subsequently changed to encompass all adults. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-booster-shots-for-the-under-50s-to-prevent-winter-wave-p78z859c2

What a surprise! Shifty shifty goalposts. 

There will be further extensions of boosters I am sure.

FWIW, giving the over 12s only 1 dose was a fucking daft policy in the first place. Do it properly or don't bother. 

Edited by Michael W

48 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps one of the guys gleefully supporting mandatory vaccinations for NHS staff can explain something.

There's over 100,000 NHS staff currently unvaccinated.

Who is going to come in to fill those posts give we are already short-staffed as it is?

Same question for care home workers.

I don't know how many times this needs said but there is no scenario in any of this where people do not die as a result of making one decision over another.

The sanctimony is wearing a bit thin.

The "no jab, no job" policy is a fucking shambles. As you rightly point out, it's not as if the NHS and care homes have staff sitting around twiddling their thumbs as they are so underworked at present.

But hey, the government care more and that's what counts.

50 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps one of the guys gleefully supporting mandatory vaccinations for NHS staff can explain something.

There's over 100,000 NHS staff currently unvaccinated.

Who is going to come in to fill those posts give we are already short-staffed as it is?

Same question for care home workers.

I don't know how many times this needs said but there is no scenario in any of this where people do not die as a result of making one decision over another.

The sanctimony is wearing a bit thin.

Working in the care sector I was shocked how many people weren’t vaccinated, few of them got it recently with the news of job losses down south right enough.

It won't be anything like 100,000 sacked in April. 

While 93 per cent of NHS frontline staff have already had their first dose, and 90 per cent are fully vaccinated, the government has estimated this leaves more than 70,000 unvaccinated NHS staff who need to be vaccinated or risk losing their jobs when the grace period ends on 1 April 2022.
The government has said exemptions will be given to those who do not have face-to-face contact with patients, as well as those who are medically exempt.

Don't think any of it applies in Scotland anyway?

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Most of them won't get vaccinated though under any circumstances and the question remains about how the staff shortage is to be plugged.

This is it. The vaccine has been available to all adults since July. If in that five months someone has chosen not to get it, they don't want it and that's basically the end of it. I know quite a lot of people actually got Covid in June/July and had to wait for their vaccine as well, but there has been ample time now for anyone aged 18+. 

Austria is about to run a live case study of what happens when people are partially excluded from society for being unvaccinated. I can't see it ending well at all. 

I still think the government will back down on their compulsory vaccinations for the NHS and care workers. The law will almost certainly be litigated and in a rare case here, the power is genuinely with the workers. The care system and the NHS will collapse if the present levels of unvaccinated workers simply refuse and are sacked as a result. I can't see the government signing up for that.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

This is it. The vaccine has been available to all adults since July. If in that five months someone has chosen not to get it, they don't want it and that's basically the end of it.

How many have been told they'll lose their job if they don't get it? Meanwhile most of the people they know will have been double jabbed months ago and suffering no ill effects. 

'Losing your job' in the care sector/health service doesn't carry much of a threat when they can walk into an entry level job in hospitality or retail at the moment. 

Giving anyone a shove to leave those two sectors right now for the sake of your own moral self-righteousness is utter stupidity. 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Losing your job' in the care sector/health service doesn't carry much of a threat when they can walk into an entry level job in hospitality or retail at the moment. 

Giving anyone a shove to leave those two sectors right now for the sake of your own moral self-righteousness is utter stupidity. 

Most frontline medical staff earn a whole lot more than entry level hospitality or retail and with job security for life. 

Edited by welshbairn

My pal is a respiratory nurse and had one vaccine this year before catching covid just before his second one, he's never bothered to rearrange that second vaccine. He was applying for jobs in a different sector (education) anyway but when he heard this news he just laughed at the number of his colleagues who would just be telling them to ram it. A lot of these people have been exposed to covid/caught it and came through the other side without much fuss. Personally I would have thought medical professionals would take this is a matter of principle, but I can understand why folk haven't bothered. People who haven't ever been exposed to it and only hear the stuff on the news will be far more likely to get a vaccine than people who are exposed to it every day and see the reality of it. 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most frontline medical staff earn a whole lot more than entry level hospitality or retail and with job security for life. 

Except that you've just removed that job security for life and made it contingent on the 'choice' of getting vaccinated. 

The idea that earnings alone will keep them in the profession does not tally with those already flooding out of the healthcare sector because the working conditions are abysmal. And care staff doing home visits are absolutely not earning a whole lot more than their counterparts in retail. 

Which means they take a new job. Which means there is no care package in place and so fewer available beds in UK hospitals. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How many have been told they'll lose their job if they don't get it? Meanwhile most of the people they know will have been double jabbed months ago and suffering no ill effects. 

Very few. Such an eventuality is however a long way off, unless you're a care worker or NHS frontline. Even then I'm sceptical they will follow through. 

It is true side effects are rare. It is  equally true that the younger cohorts of the non-vaccinated are generally low risk for becoming seriously unwell and many will therefore decide it's not worth the hassle or the very small risk. 

You also then have hardcore anti-vaxxers that simply cannot be convinced to be vaccinated no matter what you say to them. They'll point to vaccinated people getting the virus and being hospitalised and/dying as proof it doesn't work and will ignore the progress we have made in death rates and hospitalisations compared with last December/January. The current caseload we're having each day would have seen well over 1,000 deaths per day previously. It is a zero sum game, unfortunately.