Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Who's correct here, because the BBC are 'completely trustworthy' and the travelling tabby site is just one guy AFAIK.

NS herself tweeted the "provisional" numbers the other day btw. So they must know them.

Hospital numbers are suspiciously absent from any chat at all. NS etc must have them too so makes me wonder a bit why they are keeping them tightly under wraps.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hospital numbers are suspiciously absent from any chat at all. NS etc must have them too so makes me wonder a bit why they are keeping them tightly under wraps.

Have wondered if this is actually a bit of good news.

She can come out and say they were smart to wait for the data and allow businesses to open again with vaccine passports for all.

Possibly make reference to the huge numbers that have got boosters and cutting isolation for the triple vaccinated.

Of course that could all be wrong and we get sent to our bedrooms without any tea for another few weeks.

She can come out and say they were smart to wait for the data and allow businesses to open again with vaccine passports for all.
Possibly make reference to the huge numbers that have got boosters and cutting isolation for the triple vaccinated.
Of course that could all be wrong and we get sent to our bedrooms without any tea for another few weeks.
The major announcement being that Omicron isn't as dangerous as Delta.

It's the hope that kills you.

10 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Nah, they'll almost certainly have gone up because of incidental admissions and because people take longer to get discharged at this time of year. We'll get told this is bad and shows they were right to be cautious. So right, in fact, that she cannot rule out the three week period being extended.

She won't extend them today, but the drip feed of threats will begin. And the begging bowl will come out and she will plead for WM to pay for her to do this.

They just need more time to gather more data!

She'll also beg people not to cross the border to go to nightclubs, football matches or NYE parties.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Is there anywhere online that they publish the split of hospital admissions with covid and because of covid?

Trying to find it because obviously the increased cases of Omicron will mean the hospital number will rise whether or not they are actually being treated for covid.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): additional data and information - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

image.png.4f5d259a3d0f2bc8f0a227121d6ffe1e.png

Nah, they'll almost certainly have gone up because of incidental admissions and because people take longer to get discharged at this time of year. We'll get told this is bad and shows they were right to be cautious. So right, in fact, that she cannot rule out the three week period being extended.
She won't extend them today, but the drip feed of threats will begin. And the begging bowl will come out and she will plead for WM to pay for her to do this.
They just need more time to gather more data!
She'll also beg people not to cross the border to go to nightclubs, football matches or NYE parties.
Normally I'd think this was just a lecture - but it was bring trailed as a major announcement.

We'll just have to wait and see what she says.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

but it was bring trailed as a major announcement.

By the BBC (I think), yes. However this appeared to me to be based solely on them saying she "had recalled parliament to give an update" which wasn't true.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

By the BBC (I think), yes. However this appeared to me to be based solely on them saying she "had recalled parliament to give an update" which wasn't true.

Yes, this is what threw me. I’m expecting a fairly mundane update with her doubling down on current rules and urging caution, stay at home as much as possible and we can’t rule anything out. 

21 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Is there anywhere online that they publish the split of hospital admissions with covid and because of covid?

Trying to find it because obviously the increased cases of Omicron will mean the hospital number will rise whether or not they are actually being treated for covid.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): additional data and information - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

image.png.4f5d259a3d0f2bc8f0a227121d6ffe1e.png

I don't know if they are published for NHS Scotland (I presume they are but I can't find them). However, for NHS England there is a Primary Diagnosis Supplement (latest is 23 Dec) in here:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

Direct link:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/12/Primary-Diagnosis-Supplement-20211223.xlsx

It's a spreadsheet with 2 sheets - first sheet is beds occupied with patients with covid & second sheet beds occupied with patients treated primarily for covid.

For 23rd December

Primarily treated for covid is 4,432

With covid is 6,245

Hence those who are being primarily treated for something else is 1,813 (or 29%).

It would be interesting to see the Scottish equivalent.

Edited by Trogdor

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I saw it on The National’s Twitter which was a bit disconcerting as it’s pretty much Pravda for the SNP. 

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

As much as it is purely anecdotal, and not quite to the same foaming-at-the-mouth extent that I get to, I am noticing that the tide has basically completely turned against the SNP and their choices over the past couple of months when it comes to previous SNP voting die hards within my friends and family. Of course we can all joke about the SNP simps in this thread but the majority opinion (again, anecdotal) seems to be changing now that the vaccines/shan variant have converted this pandemic to a high stakes, highly tracked cold.

Coming back to Ayr for Christmas has opened my eyes again to a little bit of the other side of this. In Edinburgh all of the people I know, of all ages, have lost the plot with the SNP and die hard voters like myself have changed their view on them. But came back to Ayr and whilst some have changed, others are still completely on board with everything they do. Unfortunately they are so pro-SNP that it doesn’t actually matter what they do and what UKG do, SNP will be right and UKG will be wrong. After Boris did nothing, my in-laws were coming out with “Boris hasn’t added any new restrictions, so that means thousands will die now” based on absolutely nothing. If Nicola had removed all restrictions the same day and Boris had put some in, they’d just have said “Nicola listening to the science and Boris going over the top” or something instead.

It’s basically a cult now for some, but there’s more of them than you think.