Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Like every previous wave, of every previous variant, Omicron will happily peak on its own then decline.

Contrary to JL's comments yesterday, with this variant seemingly much milder, it would seem that you want to let this peak happen quickly, rather than drag it out "to do vaccines"

I get the impression that we are going to be dealing with disruption (and possible restrictions) long after England has ridden this wave out because we are trying to stop it spreading.

20211230_211949.jpg

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Watching the darts and the players are all wearing masks as they walk to the stage.  In an arena filled with thousands,

Are there any depths this lunacy won’t plumb?

Nope. The facemask lunacy continues. I was at the gym again today, was doing ten minutes on a treadmill. Guy gets onto the treadmill next to me, there’s no ‘social distancing’ any more, so they aren’t leaving every second piece of equipment taped off. We are therefore two feet away from each other, exercising, sweating, breathing more heavily than normal. I can get off that treadmill and wander throughout the gym to any other piece of equipment, no facemask required. There’s a toilet twenty feet outside the main gym door. Want to go for a pish, need to wear a facemask. Need to wear a facemask to walk to the changing room. Don’t need to wear a facemask in the changing room. Need to wear a facemask walking from the changing room to the cafe. Don’t need a facemask sitting down in the cafe with a drink. Forgot you wanted a Kit Kat or something? Need a facemask to get up from your table to walk the ten feet back to the cafe bar. Get back with your Kit Kat, take facemask off again. Get up to leave and walk the fifteen feet to the exit, need a facemask again.

Holy fcuk. 

2 hours ago, philpy said:

No PCR tests available in the Edinburgh area (I looked earlier out of curiosity), and people having to travel from Newcastle to Hawick for testing.  Fucking hell.

Dunbar we’re giving tests all day

10 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. The facemask lunacy continues. I was at the gym again today, was doing ten minutes on a treadmill. Guy gets onto the treadmill next to me, there’s no ‘social distancing’ any more, so they aren’t leaving every second piece of equipment taped off. We are therefore two feet away from each other, exercising, sweating, breathing more heavily than normal. I can get off that treadmill and wander throughout the gym to any other piece of equipment, no facemask required. There’s a toilet twenty feet outside the main gym door. Want to go for a pish, need to wear a facemask. Need to wear a facemask to walk to the changing room. Don’t need to wear a facemask in the changing room. Need to wear a facemask walking from the changing room to the cafe. Don’t need a facemask sitting down in the cafe with a drink. Forgot you wanted a Kit Kat or something? Need a facemask to get up from your table to walk the ten feet back to the cafe bar. Get back with your Kit Kat, take facemask off again. Get up to leave and walk the fifteen feet to the exit, need a facemask again.

Holy fcuk. 

The shocking thing here is you’ve just blown all that exercise by chowing down in a kit-kat.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Holy fcuk. 

It's been this way for months.  

Silly looking contradictions are hardly news.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's been this way for months.  

Silly looking contradictions are hardly news.

Indeed they aren’t new news, but in response to a darts facemask post, I thought it pertinent to once more point out the stupidity involved. Oh, and a government who still insist on these, in many cases, simply being cheap patterned polyester pieces of shite from a stall in a shopping centre, being mandatory. I particularly liked a leopardskin printed one today, worn just below the nose, to allow easy release of sneezy snotters. Lovely.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

TBH, as an experienced politician, he could have just said "we don't believe this will be a thing" and if pressed further he could have repeated that answer and said he didn't want to start answering hypothetical questions.

I do accept that in relative terms it was fairly mundane but the problem is that people like Swinney and Sturgeon have spent all their political capital with a lot of us and now we're not prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything. It's very much the downside of losing people's trust. When either him, Sturgeon or Humza open their mouths I'm now immediately looking to see if I can spot the lie behind their words. I think a lot of us are at that stage and that is all on those 3 individuals. Just 5 months ago when I voted for her again for the umpteenth time I wouldn't have accused any of them of being lying b*****ds. Useless yes, but not liars. As I said elsewhere, 5 months is a very long time in politics. Sturgeon is maybe beginning to see that.

Agree but essentially all he said was ‘we’d rather they didn’t but we can’t stop them’. 

Also agree on the latter part of your post. Swinney and yousaf have always been idiots but I’ve admired sturgeon for a while up until the past few months. Really disappointing method of governing. 

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Holy fcuk. 

I didn’t even realise some gyms were doing this until quite recently - thankfully this theatre hasn’t been attempted at my gym. 

Generally, it is meant to be mask on on entering and leaving - most people have stopped that too, as frankly it is also pointless. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Holy fcuk. 

How were your “ladies of a certain age” today? Was their aqua aerobics on, or are they still binging on Christmas food and going to be good in January?

Edited by deegee

Final bits of Twitter spam from me tonight.

The tide is unquestionably turning.

And good to see this gadgey learning from the master, Mark Drakeford:

Edited by Elixir

32 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The Scottish Government absolutely in the mud.

075.gif

Ooooooft, fantastic stuff. 

Fwiw today’s hospitalisations/deaths stats were incredible news. Vaccines working beautifully.

Big numbers of cases are simply not translating to huge numbers of hospitalizations. Hospitalizations are not translating to huge ICU increase. ICU numbers are not translating to big increases in deaths.

We will see rises in the coming weeks. Like any flu season, after Christmas mixing. Let’s get on with things ffs 

Edited by bairn88