Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, throbber said:

150 thousand coronavirus deaths in the last 28 days in Britain, but I bet I will still have to go back to work on Monday regardless.

Covid: UK records more than 150,000 deaths https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59923936

I have to say one thing I absolutely did not see coming was throbber being a Granny Danger alias account.

What is this Guido Fawkes 'fact check', btw? I can only assume it's because of a specific time that Scotland and England case rates were compared? Official government data shows Scotland currently with higher cases per 100,000 than England:

Β 

Wife has been very poorly for the last five days with a severe respiratory infection (not Covid) and is now on antibiotics.
GP tells her that they are seeing a huge increase in this type of disease in comparison to the last 2 years when there was very little. Because of that, the GP surmises that the annual flu jab is much less effective this year against non- Covid flu. Interesting!
Maybe, at the start we should just have let things rip and over the 2 year period the outcome wouldn’t have been much different but, we could have lived (or died) much more β€˜normal’ lives.
Sounds similar to the wife's pal and her husband. He started coughing like f**k about a fortnight before Christmas, been through two lots of antibiotics and still isn't 100%. She then came down with it in between Christmas and New Year and is absolutely floored still.

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

What is this Guido Fawkes 'fact check', btw? I can only assume it's because of a specific time that Scotland and England case rates were compared? Official government data shows Scotland currently with higher cases per 100,000 than England:

Β 

The article was absolutely abysmal tbf. I had to go to the fullfact Twitter and search it out to get the actual story. Essentially they are claiming that the ONS survey (which is effectively an estimate) is more reliable for prevalence of Covid than official testing numbers as these depend on factors like people choosing to get tested etc.Β 

Seems incredibly questionable to me in all honesty.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Free LFTs to get binned within weeks

Absolutely beautiful scenes. A lot of people are going to be furious at this, but I am absolutely ecstatic as it will effectively spell the end of huge Covid cases. Unfortunately you’ll still get plenty trying to go for PCRs all the time, but hopefully removes asymptomatic testing altogether.

What spike in deaths? It's essentially flat.
That you think there have been 150,000 deaths in the UK in the last 28 days is absolutely wild.
AdditionDeath_20220108_2.thumb.png.0962ff095ec5f4491dc3225cb567ff52.png
To be slightly generous I think Throbs is getting slightly mixed up by the wording of the stat ie deaths within 28 days of testing positive. I think he's misconstruing (or genuinely confused) by the 28 days part. It's TOTAL death tally based on those who have died within 28 days of a positive test.

You are correct; I don’t have any actual idea on the management and administration of means tested systems. It’s never been a need in my working life but regardless, there is surely a way to get better delivery of pharmacy and doctor services for those more in need, whilst others, dare I say it; middle aged middle income workers like myself can easily afford to pay in a bit more. Maybe it’s a question of direct increase in taxation but that’s never going to win votes from
the majority of the public.
As I said, it’s going to be a costly re-boot to improve and modernise the NHS, one way or another for all of us.
Many people won't, fair point. It's hugely expensive as it involves an application and proof / processing. It's why it's used sparingly if at all in big universal schemes like prescriptions and the likes of child benefit.

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Free LFTs to get binned within weeks

Β 

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Absolutely beautiful scenes. A lot of people are going to be furious at this, but I am absolutely ecstatic as it will effectively spell the end of huge Covid cases. Unfortunately you’ll still get plenty trying to go for PCRs all the time, but hopefully removes asymptomatic testing altogether.

Β 

Just the Β£6 billion spunked on pandering to the hypochondriacs.

Β 

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Tbqh it would be a shock if VT wasn't acting the c**t.

I wouldn't get upset with it - he's the Howard Stern of P&B.

And the place is all the better for it. I don’t particularly agree with some of the output of @virgintonΒ , @oaksoftΒ or @WhiteRoseKilieΒ but at least they have the courage of their conviction to spend the (I would suspect considerable) time dismantling the lazy arguments of The Main Players, the SNP fanboys and all those with their own lazily veneered agenda. And they also get flak back when it’s warranted.

Some of them hide, some hold their hands up when found out. There’s too few of their ilk on here - we’d be better with more of them.

Me? I’m more of a reader; the best I can do is just try and keep up! Β 

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The dentist will still be urging people in Scotland to test themselves every 8 minutes.

A condition of entering our office just now us to provide a negative LFT. Be interesting to see how they deal with this, considering they’re that terrified a case is linked to the office.

32 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

hopefully removes asymptomatic testing altogether.

The only people who should be getting tested are those who are going to hospital and it needs to be determined what treatment they need.

Unless ordered by a doctor PCR tests shouldn't be free either.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Half 7 on a Saturday night and she’s taking a pop at the UK Government?! Jesus f**k! Take a bit of down time eh.

Nicola cares so much she hasn't taken a minute off work since March 2020 πŸ™πŸ»