Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Genuine question because I'm not sure how it works in England, are the UK Government publishing a full country-wide breakdown between patients with/admitted for Covid? The stuff I've seen on here has been local Board data as well. Although that might well fit into a wider collation that I'm not up on.
Either way, you'd imagine the politicians getting pestered for this might lead to SG gathering it. Billy Jean King's summary of how that type of thing tends to work is a good one.
No idea how it's been released in England. I honestly don't see a need for Govt intervention or Central collation assuming the individual trusts are releasing the info. The problem with Central collation is that each trust could be using a slightly different measure method.

58 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wow.

More right wing bonkerdom.

That's what Rees-Mogg was saying during the week.  The Tories' behaviour in no10 apparently showed how silly the rules were, rather than how despicable the party goers were.

Great to see such sentiment endorsed on here.

I found it revealing on two fronts: 

1) The rules are for the plebs. 

2) The virus is not quite the threat that the government was communicating that it was. If it was, these events wouldn't have happened. 

I think a lot of the rules were also overkill. This does not excuse or mitigate shitty government behaviour. 

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Absolutely, if the request is made (has it been we don't really know) then the trusts should now be collating the info. I would expect it to be available before this month is out but if this is the first time it has been asked for by the SG (safe to assume this) then it's no surprise it hasn't been readily available.

Would be interesting to see if any of the media go down the FOI route, I'm surprised they haven't although again that is no guarantee of a quick response.

ETA I'm almost sure the fact we only got a very limited data release on this subject was for the very reasons I stated. It was basically hastily flung together because they simply were not previously recording it. Pressure on the SG forced their hand and I think the SG thought that very limited release with their caveats might placate the public clamour but as you rightly point out it's merely raised the issue of mistrust. It could and should have been handled much better by all concerned.

The decisions on the pandemic have always been for politicians to make. Until recently,  SG strategy and actions, as far as the Scottish population know, have followed the key indicators of SAGE medical advice and up to date statistics/data. Both are now looking increasingly unreliable. If there is indeed a lack of confidence, what can the SG take into account to determine any further measure? The First Minister's  statement on 17 January will be interesting.

20 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Outside drinking areas on Cockburn Street upsetting the local residents who just want a good nights sleep.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/edinburgh-residents-nightmare-because-of-outside-eating-and-drinking-areas-in-old-town-3529360

Council seems unwilling to bend toward temporary permits and seem happy to ruin the street to make the decking permanent, what choice do businesses have if they want to survive?

The Old Town community council, Edinburgh World Heritage and the Cockburn Association have all come out strongly against the outdoor seating areas.

John Mitchell, a member of the community council, said: "They're being used at night as late-night drinking places, so residents being kept up till 3 or 4am.

Haven't been to Cockburn Street for years but last time must have been around 2012 the street was moving away from the student/alternative image it had for years towards more tourist orientated shops and small eating places.

The planning easement of restrictions for Covid won't end until September so suspect they might as well suck it up.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Really?

I find that astonishing, unless you've suddenly become a libertarian nut-job.

Object to the current level of restrictions in Scotland if you like - the evidence behind doing so is strong. 

To let that lead you, however, to hearty agreement with a position that states "I didn't ask for their 'protection', I don't need it and I don't want it. Neither does my family.I want to be left the f**k alone" is just bizarre.

I do absolutely ask for the protection of the state.  I can think of little worse than being "left alone" in the face of a public health threat.

The individualism that gets a foothold on this thread among unlikely posters is extraordinary.

Yes really, in the context of where we are now in the pandemic. 

Im not saying governments don’t have a responsibility to protect people in the face of a public health threat. I’ve been largely supportive from March 2020 through to maybe summer 2021, albeit I was frustrated at the pace of opening up after vaccinations. I was obviously supportive of heavy investment in vaccinations and inoculating the population. 

But as we sit right now, everyone has had the opportunity to be vaccinated, the vast vast majority of people will suffer mild symptoms, if you’re asking me do I want government intervention to keep me safe? No, I do not. It’s over reach and frankly it’s not very believable that it’s being done just to keep us all safe. 

this was always going to reach a point where life had to go on and we’re pretty much there. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Dons1988 is maybe capable of viewing pandemic response strategy as a single issue though, and of uncoupling it from party political allegiances. This is something many on here have shown themselves to be incapable of doing, or even comprehending.

Agreeing that you no longer want or need protected from covid 19 hardly makes you a mental libertarian.

Once again, the post from Oaksoft did not refer specifically to the latest restrictions in Scotland.  It reflected a much wider antipathy towards the state and its right to intrude in his life.  

It's amazing that people who don't generally see things that way, are prepared to dive in to support a wider view that is destructive.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

Outside drinking areas on Cockburn Street upsetting the local residents who just want a good nights sleep.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/council/edinburgh-residents-nightmare-because-of-outside-eating-and-drinking-areas-in-old-town-3529360

Council seems unwilling to bend toward temporary permits and seem happy to ruin the street to make the decking permanent, what choice do businesses have if they want to survive?

The Old Town community council, Edinburgh World Heritage and the Cockburn Association have all come out strongly against the outdoor seating areas.

John Mitchell, a member of the community council, said: "They're being used at night as late-night drinking places, so residents being kept up till 3 or 4am.

Haven't been to Cockburn Street for years but last time must have been around 2012 the street was moving away from the student/alternative image it had for years towards more tourist orientated shops and small eating places.

Think they should be kept just to annoy John. 

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Maybe they are just a little more accepting than you are that someone whom has a different point of view of the world can be respected for expressing themselves clearly on a thread intended for just that or maybe there is something within that post that relates to the persons who gave greens.

"Accepting" or gormlessly gullible?

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Once again, the post from Oaksoft did not refer specifically to the latest restrictions in Scotland.  It reflected a much wider antipathy towards the state and its right to intrude in his life.  

It's amazing that people who don't generally see things that way, are prepared to dive in to support a wider view that is destructive.

It's maybe a sign of how dangerous playing political games with the Covid crisis is.

Sturgeon,  and let's be honest it is her decision,  not any cabinet or committee,  consistently catastrophrises then waits a few weeks or months before backing down.

People are starting to realise they're being sold a pup. That will include SNP voters.

There's an interesting exchange about this thread as to what data health boards have been asked for. If it hasn't included with Covid as opposed to because of that looks like a major failing on the part of the government. 

6 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I think you’re reading too much into it all.

Maybe.

I think it's foolish however, to not recognise where Oaksoft is coming from in his arguments.  It's not the same place that many P&B posters inhabit, yet plenty are prepared to sing his big anthems, just because on a narrow, specific question, there exists a sliver of common ground.

Alphonso Davies and Pierre Emerick Aubameyang are the latest football players to have serious heart issues.

The Israeli study shows that the vaccine greatly increases the risk of myocarditis in young men. All the evidence is pointing to elite athletes being at far greater risk. 

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Maybe.

I think it's foolish however, to not recognise where Oaksoft is coming from in his arguments.  It's not the same place that many P&B posters inhabit, yet plenty are prepared to sing his big anthems, just because on a narrow, specific question, there exists a sliver of common ground.

Condescending c**t. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I know it's not.

To say what Oaksoft did, however, is.

It's incredible to see it receive such support from people who ought to know better.

From people you think should be agreeing with you instead, you mean.

Don't think it was your intention, but your post comes across as being patronising and supercilious as f**k.

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Maybe.

Not really how it works though, is it? People can perfectly legitimately agree with something someone says while agreeing or not agreeing with other things they say.

Perhaps wasn’t your intention, but the whole guilt by association stuff is why political discourse goes down the toilet so quickly these days.

I don't know anything about the difference between the vaccines, but when we got our booster yesterday we went for Biontech (we had for the first 2) but were both offered Moderna instead. 

Any idea why that would be, except for some horrible, hidden scheme by Moderna?

Arrived inTenerife yesterday to find that their restrictions are even worse than Scotland.

Even to enter the hotel restaurants, proof of vaccination is required.

Moving about the grounds and pool area, masks are required. The only exception seems to be sunbathing.

Determined to keep calm and enjoy things but a bit of a downer.

Was going to the pool and was shouted at by another guest (Western European) - MASK!!

Ignored him and pointed to the pool which seemed to calm him down.

Just shows how this has got to some people. Terribly sad and gives total credence to Oaksoft’s views.

Anyway, noticed that this guy and his wife are both heavy smokers. You couldn’t make it up!

39 minutes ago, Snafu said:

@oaksoft is just as frustrated the same as many others on here and there is nothing wrong for anyone wishing to get their lives and freedoms back the way they were.

Yes, but it's a handy platform for promoting his wider anti-state agenda.  He does so shamelessly.