Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Personally,  I'm loving this on two fronts.

Firstly  it stiffs the tories so all good.

Secondly, the more parties the ruling classes have, the more it turns out that they have literally had parties every week and don't give a toss, the happier it makes me as although it brings the 'well we're sticking to the rules' mob out the woodwork, it also wakens up more and more people to actually realise how futile the implementation of restrictions are when and fucking bail on all this restriction shite altogether.

I hope this is the beginning of Government departments reversing all the zero tolerance of alcohol nonsense. Let's get back to 70s and 80s when civil servants were all drunk, but got the job done!

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I hope this is the beginning of Government departments reversing all the zero tolerance of alcohol nonsense. Let's get back to 70s and 80s when civil servants were all drunk, but got the job done!

Never been a civil servant but I was drunk  most Friday afternoons when I was working as a draughtsman. In the run up to Xmas I was drunk most afternoons.

Not sure I got the job done as well though. 

As an aside, I just watched the film Another Round during the week. Well worth a viewing. Another Round (2020) - IMDb 

As opposed to now when they’re drunk but not getting it done
Back in ‘ day we went out at lunch time, drank 8 pints a’ bitter. Had a great bit of fun n laughs with all the office ladies [emoji6][emoji6] and got the bloody job done before driving home to batter the wives if tea wasn’t on the table
Kids these days i tell you

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

I have, but not in the UK, and not recently either - enhanced awareness of allergens probably put paid to that.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

More like enhanced awareness that too many men are minkers who don't wash their hands after going to the toilet. 

I was in a pub in the US about seven years ago where you were expected to shell the peanuts yourself (this solving the hygiene issue) and then just chuck the husks on the floor. Apparently they help keep the wooden floor polished or something, but the layer of crunching junk on the ground seemed to defeat that purpose. 

2 hours ago, saint in exile said:

It's funny how times have changed.In pre covid days it was considered suspicious and socially unacceptable to wear a mask.Just an observation.

So much of our communication is non verbal, reading facial expressions etc. Its alright hearing someone say something (if you can hear and dont have to lip read) but seeing their facial expression when they say it is massive too. I fear we’ve become a far more insulated society, the world just seems like a much darker place, this despite Nicola caring so much. People are so much more scared of leaving their house.

We are due to be going to Florida on friday, but my wee boy’s friend at nursery has tested positive (last saw him Wednesday) so we’ve paid for a pcr test for him, just keeping fingers crossed he’s dodged it and we still get to go, I really need a break. 

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

I was in a pub in the US about seven years ago where you were expected to shell the peanuts yourself (this solving the hygiene issue) and then just chuck the husks on the floor. Apparently they help keep the wooden floor polished or something, but the layer of crunching junk on the ground seemed to defeat that purpose. 

Texas Road House steak place does this. Quite a few places in the south seem to do it too. 

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Covid Scotland: Ministers unlawfully kept second wave death and case predictions secret | The Scotsman

Good to see our open and transparent Scottish government being as open and transparent as ever.

The Scottish Government’s approach to transparency was quite different under Alex Salmond. 
Sturgeon really is a shit First Minister.

3 hours ago, strichener said:

I'll make this really simple for you - we know NHS workers are off because of Covid (mostly as a result of un-necessary isolation rules).  It is absolutely nothing to do with my point.  Namely that it is the same administrators that will be collating and reporting this completely useless data.  An NHS staff member off sick is not working, find out in their back to work interview why that is but let's stop this micro focus on a condition that is statistically less fatal than suicide. (It could actually be less fatal than the number of people who fall off ladders, break their back a d then die of MRSA in the hospital) good luck in finding out how many people that is, probably easier than finding out how many die of Covid.

You have no idea that most absences are because of self-isolation rules or that it's the same people involved in collating patient and staff data. Start providing some evidence on the blind assumptions you're making about all of this, or let's leave this thrilling exchange about public data governance to another time.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

With respect it doesn't matter that wearing a mask isn't an issue for you.

It's a red line for many of us and that's all that matters to us.

For some it's about having the scientific background to know they don't work. For others it's about not tolerating being ordered around like a 2 year old child. And for many (and I include myself in this group) it's both of those things.

Some people are happy being directed and controlled by others on a whim but we're not all like that I'm afraid.

So live and let live, right? I agree, which is why I was laughing at the suggestion of civil disobedience in Morrisons. I'm not sure why you feel defensive about that. 

We're all directed to some degree every day of our lives. I personally think I can be trusted to buy alcohol at 10.30 and that it's a stupid, ineffective law. I don't try and scan some bevvy through and then run my hand through the wine aisle in protest. If this is where your red line is, good for you. Crack on.

My only emotion on this is feeling a bit bad for staff. If I thought non-mask wearing would signal me out as a principled, learned man of science and ally to the service profession, I might do it. I'd imagine it actually gives off the complete opposite impression.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Sorry what!!!  Salmond transparent ??? 😂

You'll be saying he's honest, down to earth, modest and respects woman next. :lol:

I would certainly say all of those things.

And it is a matter of record that his Government was more transparent than Sturgeon’s. 

Inconvenient, huh?

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Inconvenient how?

It’s sore for the Sturgeon Massive. 
Just like all the progress made my Salmond’s government on driving down poverty levels has been completely reversed on Sturgeon’s watch. 

Edited by Thorongil

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So much of our communication is non verbal, reading facial expressions etc. Its alright hearing someone say something (if you can hear and dont have to lip read) but seeing their facial expression when they say it is massive too. I fear we’ve become a far more insulated society, the world just seems like a much darker place, this despite Nicola caring so much. People are so much more scared of leaving their house.

We are due to be going to Florida on friday, but my wee boy’s friend at nursery has tested positive (last saw him Wednesday) so we’ve paid for a pcr test for him, just keeping fingers crossed he’s dodged it and we still get to go, I really need a break. 

Texas Road House steak place does this. Quite a few places in the south seem to do it too. 

It's definitely created an environment of fear out of all portion to the threat .A lot  people are starting to think enough is enough and hopefully normality isn't too far in the future.   Leitch seems upset about this and warns there may be stronger variants just down the road.f**k off mate i'm sick of the sight and sound of you and NS.

15 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 hours ago, engelbert_humperdink said:
It's obvious that the government has completely relied on scaremongering to keep the publoc in a state of fear and uncertainty.
I've noticed first hand the change in people during the pandemic. One case that stands out was a middle aged council worker( he had his uniform on ), berating some boy who must have been 15, who lowered his mask to talk on his phone.
The fact that covid deaths are being recorded by anyone dying within 28 days of catching covid is obviously going to inflate figures.
These people who rely on the MSM will see the numbers and get worried.
The fact that the government haven't come out with the actual numbers of being dying from or with covid, and the age groups of those dying, tells me the numbers are clearly being inflated to keep the public on edge.
I had omicron at the start of the year, had a head cold for one day and felt fatigued for a few more days. If it wasn't for a family member I was with testing +I would never have done an LFT and several more in the following days. 
Just to add I am unvaccinated, and will never take the vaccine 

What uniform was this middle aged Council mask enforcer wearing exactly ?

He had a navy blue polo shirt on with the Edinburgh council logo on it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59999698

Looking forward to their follow-up findings about the religious affiliation of the Pope and what bears really do in the woods. 

That they could not or refused to deduce this from the perfectly straightforward, real world evidence weeks before Christmas marks them out as utter frauds.