Coronavirus (COVID-19)

54 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

2 years and the b*****d has finally caught me.

A slight cough and a runny nose but otherwise feeling completely fine. Nonetheless, I demand that the country locks down for the next 6 months to protect me from future tickly coughs and runny noses.

Edit - Do I still have to go for a PCR or can I just keep doing LFTs until they come back negative?

I wouldn’t bother doing anything.

Its endemic.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

A slight cough and a runny nose but otherwise feeling completely fine. Nonetheless, I demand that the country locks down for the next 6 months to protect me from future tickly coughs and runny noses.

Edit - Do I still have to go for a PCR or can I just keep doing LFTs until they come back negative?

I went and got a PCR but I don't think you need to really do that. I got a code from NHS Scotland Test & Protect after my positive LFD test and fired that into the app / website, added some close contacts and that was it. 

Edited by RiG

25 minutes ago, RiG said:

I went and got a PCR but I don't think you need to really do that. I got a code from NHS Scotland Test & Protect after my positive LFD test and fired that into the app / website, added some close contacts and that was it. 

^^^ Lee Wallace

6 hours ago, Elixir said:

You don't have to be bitter because nobody bothered their arse with your tedious daily case splurges for two years, which took about an hour to scroll past.

Now remember and wear that sweaty mask!

..or took about five minutes to read and digest. A useful regular source of information, as opposed to your desperate attention-seeking and embarrassing sucking up to VT, TiG and the rest. What you gonna do when the thread goes down? Superbigal, thanks for your input over the thread's lifetime.

@superbigal

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

..or took about five minutes to read and digest. A useful regular source of information, as opposed to your desperate attention-seeking and embarrassing sucking up to VT, TiG and the rest. What you gonna do when the thread goes down? Superbigal, thanks for your input over the thread's lifetime.

@superbigal

Add me as a fan of the @superbigal updates. 

When we had regions, tiers and levels this was a good way to see if your area was going to be moved up or down a level. Even for general interest, I scrolled to Falkirk to see how we were looking.

Also like to see @Elixir pointing out a lot of the hypocrisy and nonsense that is going on now, too. 

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Add me as a fan of the @superbigal updates. 

When we had regions, tiers and levels this was a good way to see if your area was going to be moved up or down a level. Even for general interest, I scrolled to Falkirk to see how we were looking.

Also like to see @Elixir pointing out a lot of the hypocrisy and nonsense that is going on now, too. 

aye you're right, it was nice to see falkirk at the top of the table for once

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I also enjoyed the daily case updates when case rates actually mattered.

The "*insert area* aren't behaving themselves" which were included in said updates were a pain in the arse though.

As was the out of date nonsense he used to spout towards the end whilst hilarously claiming this was to make sure his figures were accurate.

His early work was good, though.

No real point in going for a PCR unless you would be eligible for treatments or needed for proof of isolation for the isolation grant.

You’re confined for 5 days from the first symptom/ positive test whatever came first and then need two negative LFT from day 6 onwards at least 24h apart to leave early otherwise it’s 10 full days and out on day 11.

Anecdotally, and also in my experience, with omicron you should be good to get out early, my positivity lines started to get fainter on day 5 and were gone first thing on day 6 and 7.

43 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

A useful regular source of information, as opposed to your desperate attention-seeking and embarrassing sucking up to VT, TiG and the rest.

Imagine coming across this upset that a bunch of posters on the General Nonsense forum of Pie & Bovril would have navigated the pandemic with greater success than our experts (as highlighted by the success of the decisions made by those reckles toarrrrries when they finally got their finger out).

Spoiler

4a23671e9c45705da281e02d8a96edee0dd19adb

17 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

No real point in going for a PCR unless you would be eligible for treatments or needed for proof of isolation for the isolation grant.

You’re confined for 5 days from the first symptom/ positive test whatever came first and then need two negative LFT from day 6 onwards at least 24h apart to leave early otherwise it’s 10 full days and out on day 11.

Anecdotally, and also in my experience, with omicron you should be good to get out early, my positivity lines started to get fainter on day 5 and were gone first thing on day 6 and 7.

I got it in February and was still testing positive at Day 10. From discussions with friends this was a fairly common experience.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Imagine coming across this upset that a bunch of posters on the General Nonsense forum of Pie & Bovril would have navigated the pandemic with greater success than our experts (as highlighted by the success of the decisions made by those reckles toarrrrries when they finally got their finger out).

Hide contents

4a23671e9c45705da281e02d8a96edee0dd19adb

I know - this was over as a public health emergency in August 2020.  

So much greater success than the experts…

Now that it seems we are almost finally out the woods in terms in regulations, how has everyones views on this been over the last 2 years?

For me personally I'd say I've been quite consistent, from the start I was happy to accept the risk and didn't want to change any aspect of my life, although I knew that not everyone was in such a fortunate position health wise.  I could accept some precautions being in place in some scenarios but nothing like what we got lumbered with. Also as soon as it became clear that this was a manageable illness for the majority, which I think was clear even before it reached the UK, then they should have ceased to treat every case as equally significant and should have spent more effort on protecting those at risk 

Cheers - that's what I suspected re PCRs but I haven't been paying much attention recently.

Symptoms started on Wednesday so I'm hoping it's cleared by the middle of next week or so. I've never really had to worry about catching it but it's sod's law that I start a new job a week on Monday which involves having to test. In a way I'm glad I've caught it now rather than this time next week as I would have felt like a chancer having to take a sicky on my first day.

From Sky News

Expert hits back at PM's comment on lockdowns

Earlier, Boris Johnson said he would not rule out another lockdown if a "more deadly" COVID variant emerged. 

His approach has been swiftly criticised by Professor Devi Sridhar, a prominent COVID commentator and chair of global public health at Edinburgh University. 

Professor Sridhar said lockdowns "should be off the table for now" and instead we should look at using rapid tests to identify and isolate COVID cases while letting "everyone else carry on with life". 

The government stopped giving out rapid tests out for free at the start of this month, something that is likely to decrease the number of people testing.  

She's changed her mind

7 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

From Sky News

Expert hits back at PM's comment on lockdowns

Earlier, Boris Johnson said he would not rule out another lockdown if a "more deadly" COVID variant emerged. 

His approach has been swiftly criticised by Professor Devi Sridhar, a prominent COVID commentator and chair of global public health at Edinburgh University. 

Professor Sridhar said lockdowns "should be off the table for now" and instead we should look at using rapid tests to identify and isolate COVID cases while letting "everyone else carry on with life". 

The government stopped giving out rapid tests out for free at the start of this month, something that is likely to decrease the number of people testing.  

She's changed her mind

I don't really see the difference in those two statements tbh.

Continues to amuse me when Sridhar is referred to as an expert all the same. Wind vane would be a more accurate description.

Edited by Todd_is_God

58 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I know - this was over as a public health emergency in August 2020.  

So much greater success than the experts…

Your classic S(imp)NP go-to of whataboutery when faced with facts is cute, but doesn't alter the reality that, were covid responses viewed in the format of a league table, the good guys of P&B would be in title won by Christmas territory.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To be fair, both Elixir and Bigal have tried to add genuine value to the thread over the last 2 years.

That's considerably more than can be said for you.

Before sneering at others, a bit of self-reflection and self-awareness wouldn't go amiss Whitey.

From a personal perspective, this thread has been very helpful to my sanity. At one point, I felt my wife and myself were the only people that thought the rules and regulations were totally disproportionate to the problem.

To find that there were others thinking along similar lines was just fantastic.

Thanks to you all.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Whether you like it or not, by May 2020 it was crystal clear that covid wasn't going to wipe out millions of people, which was the very real fear just 2 months earlier.

It has, as predicted, targetted almost exclusively just a few types of people - the old, the immuno-compromised and the fatties.

The overwhelming majority of people have either not caught it yet or have suffered nothing more than  a minor inconvenience in terms of feeling a bit shit.

The last 2 years have been about politicians having to be dragged to that understanding.

As a major public health problem, it was definitely over early in 2021 once vaccines were being chucked into arms.

The way our countries have over-reacted to this has been nothing short of economic and social vandalism.

In reality, you were forecasting Armageddon at the start and advocating zero covid in the summer of 2020

Brilliant reverse ferret 😂

:1eye

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

From a personal perspective, this thread has been very helpful to my sanity. At one point, I felt my wife and myself were the only people that thought the rules and regulations were totally disproportionate to the problem.

To find that there were others thinking along similar lines was just fantastic.

Thanks to you all.

You should look back at this thread in the first few months. Any viewpoint other than in favour of strict lockdowns saw your abused and banned.