Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Spain had an absolute minter over the past couple of days:
Not that it matters to me as I'm vaxxed/boosted anyway, but will still be giving places that aren't fully back to normal a wide berth and instead give my money to those that are.
Edit: I believe Italy and Spain have already stopped the outdoor mask mandate, with them going indoors at the end of the month. An absolute laughathon that Scotland will be among the last places in Europe to bin them, alongside the most irrational countries when it comes to masking - and a full three months behind England and our Nordic counterparts. Disgraceful.
Where are you seeing masks indoors going in Spain at the end of this month ? I'm booked again for mid May so have been following their statements but seen nothing giving any indication it's imminent.

ETA see it now day after us 19 April.

Where are you seeing masks indoors going in Spain at the end of this month ? I'm booked again for mid May so have been following their statements but seen nothing giving any indication it's imminent.

ETA see it now day after us 19 April.
And the plf is binned as well.
So going to and returning from Spain, balearics and Canaries is back to how it was pre covid. Excluding brexit stuff of course.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

China are completely fucked. They (like Deepti Gurdasani types) have completely overestimated how serious covid actually is post-vaccine, and they’ve undermined the vaccination programme by effectively saying that they’re going to eradicate it so why bother getting the jab. Now, the rest of the world is getting on with it and you’ve got a faster spreading variant about to exponentially rip through a huge population with poor vaccine take up (including in vulnerable groups) and next to no natural immunity. 

Unfortunately, their continued pursuit of a failed policy will cause problems outside of China. They have many important ports and they make a lot of stuff too: not what we need right now if the wrong places get shut down because a few folk coughed on the train. 

There is significant potential for shortages and more supply chain disruption. I wonder if we'll see some of it moved out of China and to a country not pursuing an unattainable zero covid policy. 

9 hours ago, superbigal said:

And the plf is binned as well.
So going to and returning from Spain, balearics and Canaries is back to how it was pre covid. Excluding brexit stuff of course.

Not strictly true. Masks will still be mandatory on public transport, including taxis.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Whats the craic with Spain for kids getitng in? Me and the wife are vaccined but kids obviously arent.... Whats the deal atm and is it anticipated to change for summer?

As long as your children are under 12 they don't need to be vaccinated to enter Spain.

https://www.spth.gob.es/

I'm currently in Spain and we didn't need to do anything for our 1 year old.

Mask wearing here is similar to back home. Quite high in places like shops but when you visit certain bars and restaurants the mask wearing drops dramatically. These do tend to be places where the vast majority of folk are expats or tourists though as well of course.

Edited by NorthernLights

10 hours ago, Donathan said:

China are completely fucked. They (like Deepti Gurdasani types) have completely overestimated how serious covid actually is post-vaccine, and they’ve undermined the vaccination programme by effectively saying that they’re going to eradicate it so why bother getting the jab. Now, the rest of the world is getting on with it and you’ve got a faster spreading variant about to exponentially rip through a huge population with poor vaccine take up (including in vulnerable groups) and next to no natural immunity. 

the only thing that makes me slightly paranoid with this is, did they indeed make it in a lab and know something the rest of us don't? probably not, it's most likely just another controlling tool of theirs but still

10 hours ago, philpy said:

At a gig at the hydro last night, a few people wearing masks. f**k that, go to a gig, enjoy it, sing along, but wear a piece of cloth on your face at the same time?? Nah, f**k that.

A handful of folk were the same in Newcastle, didn't really get it, nor understand the point of the tannoy advising masks to be worn when moving round the venue when you can then take them off in the same room as 10,000 people. Odd.

10 hours ago, superbigal said:

Glad to know there is no chance of encountering you here in Tenerife then.
Carry on your mouth frothing.

You don't have to be bitter because nobody bothered their arse with your tedious daily case splurges for two years, which took about an hour to scroll past.

Now remember and wear that sweaty mask!

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Talking of Deepti Gurdasani, it looks like she was banned from Twitter for a day yesterday after violating their rules with one of her tweets.

She's back now though and currently spamming her own timeline with unhinged paranoid shite about how she is being attacked only because she is "brown-skinned" and "a strong woman".

That fraud Ding has finally caught it as well. I'm sure he'll have extra long Covid!

17 minutes ago, Elixir said:

That fraud Ding has finally caught it as well. I'm sure he'll have extra long Covid!

When I heard Ding had covid I was half-expecting him to completely exaggerate his condition in order to back up his view that covid is a devastating illness that must be eliminated. I’m semi-convinced that we’ve seen this sort of behaviour from zero covid influencers. Would be interesting to see what Gurdasani would say if she ever tests positive. 

9 hours ago, Michael W said:

Unfortunately, their continued pursuit of a failed policy will cause problems outside of China. They have many important ports and they make a lot of stuff too: not what we need right now if the wrong places get shut down because a few folk coughed on the train. 

There is significant potential for shortages and more supply chain disruption. I wonder if we'll see some of it moved out of China and to a country not pursuing an unattainable zero covid policy. 

NJm9cEeiwf4xAmJDDjkiYDhxNi0=.gif

"Please don't tell the supervisor I have COVID."
"I've been working with a shattered pelvis for 3 weeks!"

There seems to be a movement to save the jobs of hundreds of workers at the lighthouse lab in Glasgow.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/hundreds-glasgow-covid-lab-workers-23623273?fbclid=IwAR1Ew4Iy98PsrqU9f1TblkpJqt03Sxo2gYI046K_6zX_e36tbM3myMNA8DA

I have sympathy for anyone facing redundancy but surely most will have know these jobs weren't for the long term.

15 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Fair enough.

At your institution the students are getting exactly what they got pre Covid ?

My grandson, at Strathclyde, gets only one in person session per week.

Not quite pre-Covid but much closer to it. We are at 50% room capacity with classes being broadcast. Students typically attend most classes in person with a few blending at-home and in-person, and a few opting for online only. 

Much of this comes from government guidance rather than individual universities choosing to make their own rules. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Not quite pre-Covid but much closer to it. We are at 50% room capacity with classes being broadcast. Students typically attend most classes in person with a few blending at-home and in-person, and a few opting for online only. 

Much of this comes from government guidance rather than individual universities choosing to make their own rules. 

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

I should also say that the plan for next year is to be back at 100% in person teaching. There will probably still be masks in corridors (unless the Scottish Government drops it, which I cannot imagine) and maybe in class also. 

How we teach will change. Instead of standing and delivering the same old lectures as I have in the past, much of that material will be made available as videos the students can watch at home. The classes then are more about tutorials, activities, Q&A and so on to make sure they understand the material better. Going forward I think students will get a better experience.