Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Was filing up the car with petrol today, clocked the cost per litre and felt nauseous, headache and noticed my sense of smell had gone.

I've tested positive for carownervirus.

I'll get my coat...

I assume you originally saw that on Facebook, posted by your auntie’s friend Doris in one of those words-in-a-picture things with a “Happy Birthday” background.

17 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Bit dickish to call the actions of someone who needs a 5th vaccine as “wasteful” though.

It is the action of someone who is so invested in this thread and it being a “Shan virus”, that the thought of someone protecting themselves in a way that has no impact on him is clearly offensive to him. 

It is the same as our “pro-choicers” who didn’t want anyone telling them what to wear on their faces now commenting on other people still wearing masks.  No impact on them whatsoever, but they need to comment on it. 

They are the real victims of Covid.  Just can’t let it go.

39 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It is the action of someone who is so invested in this thread and it being a “Shan virus”, that the thought of someone protecting themselves in a way that has no impact on him is clearly offensive to him. 

It is the same as our “pro-choicers” who didn’t want anyone telling them what to wear on their faces now commenting on other people still wearing masks.  No impact on them whatsoever, but they need to comment on it. 

They are the real victims of Covid.  Just can’t let it go.

Oooft.

What a rant about something that didn't even happen.

image.png.ccf0ae94158cb1a0150efd649037d337.png

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Oooft.

What a rant about something that didn't even happen.

image.png.ccf0ae94158cb1a0150efd649037d337.png

Todd, I like to think we are on the same kinda side of the debate about controls, albeit i was for the short lockdown idea at the start etc but cannot help but think you were a bit out of order/insensitive about hsf? Might just want to own it and move on instead of doubling down?

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Todd, I like to think we are on the same kinda side of the debate about controls, albeit i was for the short lockdown idea at the start etc but cannot help but think you were a bit out of order/insensitive about hsf? Might just want to own it and move on instead of doubling down?

No I don't agree at all. It's not a personal dig - I already said HSF is free to do as she wants. It makes no difference to me, and at no point did I say otherwise.

That's completely separate to holding the opinion that the vaccine programme in general is no longer necessary - certainly not at the rate of a dose every 4 months.

It's absolutely right to question the vaccine programme when it has reached the stage it feels the need to give people a fifth dose of a two-dose vaccine within 16 months. That's not normal.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

No I don't agree at all. It's not a personal dig - I already said HSF is free to do as she wants. It makes no difference to me, and at no point did I say otherwise.

That's completely separate to holding the opinion that the vaccine programme in general is no longer necessary - certainly not at the rate of a dose every 4 months.

It's absolutely right to question the vaccine programme when it has reached the stage it feels the need to give people a fifth dose of a two-dose vaccine within 16 months. That's not normal.

if it is “no longer necessary”, then you absolutely are questioning HSF’s choices.  

You’re not going to take it - great.  Well done you.  

Edited by Wee Bully

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If the vaccines are being tweaked to fit around the most common variants in circulation then its not different to giving the most vulnerable a flu vaccine every year man. 

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the vaccines are being tweaked to fit around the most common variants in circulation then its not different to giving the most vulnerable a flu vaccine every year man. 

Are they, though?

Also 5 in 16 months isn't yearly.

A return to Covid restrictions is not currently needed as infection rates rise in Scotland, a leading public health expert has said.

Professor Linda Bauld said there was no need for the "old days of restrictions and panic" with the current variant.

The rise was mostly in adults in their 30s and 40s but there was no evidence vaccines had stopped working, she said.

Prof Bauld, a public health expert from the University of Edinburgh, told BBC Radio's Good Moring Scotland programme the message was "be alert but certainly don't panic".

"There is absolutely no evidence that our vaccines have stopped working. We know that they confer good protection and [with] some parts of our immune response that's a longer-term level of protection," she said.

"So we're not going back to the old days of restrictions and panic with this variant we have now. But we do need to be aware that we might be heading into another few weeks where it's more common for people to become infected with this virus."

Prof Bauld said the current rise in cases was highest in people in mid-life or their 30s and 40s, and added: "If we see infections in that group, it might spread into others."

A significant increase could lead to "much stronger advice about wearing face coverings" in busy public places such as buses and trains, she added.

Omicron BA.1 caused a surge in infections across the UK in December and early January, while BA.4 and BA.5 are newer variants that were recently classified by the UK Health Security Agency as "variants of concern".

Analysis has found both of the newer variants are likely to have a "growth advantage" over other strains.

Jillian Evans, head of health intelligence at NHS Grampian, told BBC Scotland there was a risk that people who had not had a booster jab for many months "may not be as protected as they could be".

She said it was "right for people to be concerned about this and we should be vigilant".

"The most important thing, when you start to see infection numbers rise, is to be prepared for that. Getting up to date with your vaccination is probably the best thing you can do right now," she said.

"Rising infections means that more people will become ill. Some of them will hopefully just shrug it off after a number of days. Many won't and many people are suffering much longer now with long Covid."

Ms Evans added: "That's bad for individual health, but it's also bad for the economy and workplaces with constant disruption.

"We should be concerned about this and be vigilant. There are individual actions we can take and mask-wearing in crowded situations indoors is one of them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61769940

"Rising infections means that more people will become ill. Most of them will hopefully just shrug it off after a number of days. Some won't and some people are suffering much longer now with long Covid."

Think that is closer to the truth

Edited by NorthernLights

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

A return to Covid restrictions is not currently needed as infection rates rise in Scotland, a leading public health expert has said.

Professor Linda Bauld said there was no need for the "old days of restrictions and panic" with the current variant.

The rise was mostly in adults in their 30s and 40s but there was no evidence vaccines had stopped working, she said.

Prof Bauld, a public health expert from the University of Edinburgh, told BBC Radio's Good Moring Scotland programme the message was "be alert but certainly don't panic".

"There is absolutely no evidence that our vaccines have stopped working. We know that they confer good protection and [with] some parts of our immune response that's a longer-term level of protection," she said.

"So we're not going back to the old days of restrictions and panic with this variant we have now. But we do need to be aware that we might be heading into another few weeks where it's more common for people to become infected with this virus."

Prof Bauld said the current rise in cases was highest in people in mid-life or their 30s and 40s, and added: "If we see infections in that group, it might spread into others."

A significant increase could lead to "much stronger advice about wearing face coverings" in busy public places such as buses and trains, she added.

Omicron BA.1 caused a surge in infections across the UK in December and early January, while BA.4 and BA.5 are newer variants that were recently classified by the UK Health Security Agency as "variants of concern".

Analysis has found both of the newer variants are likely to have a "growth advantage" over other strains.

Jillian Evans, head of health intelligence at NHS Grampian, told BBC Scotland there was a risk that people who had not had a booster jab for many months "may not be as protected as they could be".

She said it was "right for people to be concerned about this and we should be vigilant".

"The most important thing, when you start to see infection numbers rise, is to be prepared for that. Getting up to date with your vaccination is probably the best thing you can do right now," she said.

"Rising infections means that more people will become ill. Some of them will hopefully just shrug it off after a number of days. Many won't and many people are suffering much longer now with long Covid."

Ms Evans added: "That's bad for individual health, but it's also bad for the economy and workplaces with constant disruption.

"We should be concerned about this and be vigilant. There are individual actions we can take and mask-wearing in crowded situations indoors is one of them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61769940

Ms Evans has been wrong in almost every stage of the pandemic.

Why are so many people testing themselves for something that now has the same treatment options, advice (excluding international travel) and recovery time as any other bog-standard respiratory virus? 

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why are so many people testing themselves for something that now has the same treatment options, advice (excluding international travel) and recovery time as any other bog-standard respiratory virus? 

Nature of their job is the only plausible reason i can think of. My wife is a domestic in a local primary school, and she's been off for a week now, didn't want to be responsible for spreading it round the school when they are already down to the bare bones staff wise.

Mind you, I suppose you could say the same for any workplace, irregardless of the nature of the job.

Just now, philpy said:

Nature of their job is the only plausible reason i can think of. My wife is a domestic in a local primary school, and she's been off for a week now, didn't want to be responsible for spreading it round the school when they are already down to the bare bones staff wise.

Mind you, I suppose you could say the same for any workplace, irregardless of the nature of the job.

I know people who are currently between jobs/doing gig work who tested positive recently who are letting everyone know about it and their list of disgusting symptoms though. I think there must be some sort of novelty/attention element, that simply staying in your scratcher with an unverified lurgy just won't do.