Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Sorry that has been called out, can’t remember where I read it. If the jogger sneezes or coughs in that instance there is nothing to stop the virus spreading 6 feet at that time and the people they are passing too close are in harm’s way.

I have taken to running down the middle of the back streets at 9pm when there is no-one about and will go out of my way to avoid people.

How often do you sneeze when running?

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

That's the key.  No reproducibility means that predictions have to be treated with caution.

I'm not saying ignore the scientists but we have to acknowledge that they got it dramatically wrong with bird flu, swine flu, SARS and BSE.  They were also wildly wrong in the 1970s when they predicted a mini ice age.  

So politicians should listen to what they say and also be a bit sceptical because their track record is shite.

In all fairness I see where you are coming from regarding predictions. 

Take climate change as an example.

Scientist A has an article printed in one magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will get hotter.  Europe south of Paris will turn to desert and it will be a nightmare.

Meanwhile Scientist B has an article printed in another magazine saying Climate Change will be a disaster.  The world will actually get colder.  Europe north of Paris will have severe winters and it will be a nightmare.

Net result.   The two articles cancel out and nobody worries about Climate Change.

A better approach is to say Climate Change is a serious matter.  We can't entirely predict how it will might make things worse but that is all the more reason to deal with while we still can.  If we wait until we know everything it might be too late.

Is that about it? 

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

deal with while we still can.

Earth will eventually end up the exaxt same as Mercury and Venus before it. Dry wastelands.

The idea that humans can prevent this is mental.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Earth will eventually end up the exaxt same as Mercury and Venus before it. Dry wastelands.

So the experts say, pffft.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

How many bananas should I buy?

Hancock gives a commitment on testing one day, qualifies it the next day.  He makes a statement about when it will peak the days he was misinterpreted.

Normally this sort of amateur hour wouldn’t be such a concern...

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

No but coughing or sneezing on some random punter when you are out a run and giving them Corona virus is a bawhair off 0%.

It’s not 0% though is it? Keep your distance and don’t be a selfish dick. Not difficult, however low you might perceive the risk, it’s not about you.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Earth will eventually end up the exact same as Mercury and Venus before it. Dry wastelands.

In billions of years yes but I was thinking more short term than that.

3 minutes ago, Snobot said:

It’s not 0% though is it? Keep your distance and don’t be a selfish dick. Not difficult, however low you might perceive the risk, it’s not about you.

10km coming up in the morning!

Anyone who can't be near anyone for 2 seconds shouldn't be on a public path as they will have walkers coming in the opposite direction as well.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

10km coming up in the morning!

Anyone who can't be near anyone for 2 seconds shouldn't be on a public path as they will have walkers coming in the opposite direction as well.

I agree with you generally. My original point was about some twat who chose to run between police and the guy despite the road being deserted all around him. Common sense hopefully applies, and didn’t in that case. Enjoy your run.

23 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

French PM saying our lockdown is likely to be extended beyond April 15.  Not surprised but still, :bairn

April 15.  The end for Abraham Lincoln, the Titanic and Joey Ramone.

Was going to organise some sort of commemoration.

Don't think I'll bother now.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

April 15.  The end for Abraham Lincoln, the Titanic and Joey Ramone.

Was going to organise some sort of commemoration.

Don't think I'll bother now.

But, apart from that, Mrs Lincoln...

9 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

The scientific method is ALL ABOUT prediction. You make a hypothesis based on observations, you then make predictions based on that hypothesis, and then test them by experiment.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

You are thinking of rune-reading.  The scientific method is all about reproducibility and, by definition, something that hasn't happened can't be reproduced.

Nothing ever happens that has happened before, the circumstances are always different. Science narrows down what they can from observations to predict an outcome, the same way they attempt to reproduce the results of an experiment when all the elements have been in flux. In this case they're narrowing down what they know from studying previous viruses and observing how this one behaves, narrowing down the variables as much they can to say what they think will happen, within a broad range of uncertainty that is stated in their findings. It's bog standard science.