St Johnstone v Celtic, Wednesday 29/01/20

2 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

They might as well take the cash while they can. God knows how long it will be before this rabble sees the premiership again after this season.

Do you not wish your club had given Motherwell more stands to make some extra cash in your big Scottish Cup tie at Dens this month?

You know, the one where barely 900 Dundee fans turned up.  Our home support v the OF is awful, but that was the most embarrassing home support for any team in Tayside in the past 20-30 years!

Just think, a bit more cash and you might increase the gap over Arbroath in your battle for mid-table supremacy. 🤗

Levels

1 hour ago, Bose said:

They should be offering attractive prices for teenagers who want to come alone or with their mates. Even continuing up to early twenties. If we get them we are more likely to keep them. Young kids with a short attention span or parents who really don’t want to sit with them in the cold weather are never likely to be long term unless the parent is what is commonly known as a “die hard”.

How does the season ticket book work for Saints fans? I'm sure as hell wanting my spot at Brockville and my home seat at Westfield, not throwing it away to OF punters. Scottish football basically saying go fk the fans. What a joke the Scottish game has become, or always has been.

Edited by bairney

24 minutes ago, bairney said:

How does the season ticket book work for Saints fans? I'm sure as hell wanting my spot at Brockville and my home seat at Westfield, not throwing it away to OF punters. Scottish football basically saying go fk the fans. What a joke the Scottish game has become, or always has been.

Well that's not really going to be a problem for you is it lad 

Brutal first 45 despite us playing ok when we had the ball. The biggest issue was when we didn't. Far far too passive, standing off and giving Celtic time to pass it through us. We didn't defend the wide areas either. Holt lacked discipline to keep goal side and he let us get overrun constantly.

Second half - big improvement. Craig sat in nicely and tidied up the space in front of the defence and filled the hole Holt should have. Kerr much much more aggressive, closing out the wide men. McCann and particularly Spoony took the game to Celtic. I thought Spoony had  a fine game. This formation really suits his game.

Up top nothing really worked. Mikey was offside too much. Hendry never got into the game and Kane was Kane - won a few free kicks.  We should have scored though, 4 or 5 good chances. Enough positives to take into Saturday.

Celtic were good first 45 - you can't deny them that. Ntcham's goal was a great move.

Edited by Broon_100

... hit the post button half way through. 

Anyway, that was entirely as expected then. 

That first half hour or so Celtic were light years ahead of anything I've seen at McDairmid this season. That said, the wingback system deficiencies were shown up with Tanser being too narrow and not blocking crosses or tracking Forrest's runs. It was all a bit Jordan Jones vs Aaron Comrie. Booth seemed flat-footed, expect better of McCart. On the other side, Duffy had a hard shift too against Greg Taylor (best I've seen him play for Celtic but I don't exactly watch them often) but he's really just not good enough. But we knew that. 

Kerr I thought was very good, Gordon did as well as you could expect asked to deal with the best striker in the country. 

We were too small and timid in midfield the first half hour. I still like Holt but he was bullied tonight and Craig was more composed and played some nice passes when he came on. Spoony was full of running, and errors, but never hid. McCann was exceptional in my opinion, irrespective of the scoreline. Spoony was sponsors MOTM but I would have given it to McCann. We missed a ball-winning Muzz there again, lets hope 'the Danish Davidson' comes in before Saturday. 

Up top, nice to see Hendry starting and the boy does not lack confidence (did I really see him roulette Scott Brown?).  Hope it wasn't so that Tommy can justify continuing with Kane though, and would still like to see him start with May when we have Wright and Tanser pinging in crosses for him. MOH caused problems but still think he's more effective as a wide player, but after the Ross County game could understand TW's thinking. 

All in all there were positives to take. I expect under different circumstances Tommy might have gone with the back 4, but we didn't have a viable RB  tonight so why not continue to trial the system that seems to have worked in recent games and is probably what we'll play against Hearts. 

As for the 3 stands debate, no idea what it looked like on the telly but at the ground I had no issues with it at all. It seemed like any other OF game being honest, other than there being some folk in the East Stand. in fact probably a wee bit better having all the Saints fans in the same place. I didn't see any more aggro outside the ground than normal, and as for the bottle throw I missed that but last time they were here there were flares and fights in the end stands. It's nothing to do with them being more of them. It may well be different at a Saturday 3pm game. 

Like @PauloPerth I didn't mind the second half performance at all. Yes Celtic possibly did wind it in a bit and they did take off their 2 strikers but Saints responded well, showed character and played a bit of football. 

Saturday we go again. At least 4 points from the next 3 games please. 

24 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

McCann and particularly Spoony took the game to Celtic. I thought Spoony had  a fine game. This formation really suits his game.

Despite Wotherspoon being predominantly a winger, I think they are really quite similar. They are both committed, heads-up players that read the game off the ball, ask for posession, aren't afraid to shoot, track back and tackle.

For me though McCann is the tidier player, he's just a bit more conservative in his passing and doesn't waste as much and has that uncanny ability to create space for himself. I also think he has better touch. For all the difference in age and experience sometimes McCann seems more composed.

They were both very good tonight, considering the opposition. 

44 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I’ve a season ticket and I also think it’s shit. The notion that it’s just those that don’t go to many games that think it’s the wrong decision is obviously bollocks. 

Has that been said? I didn't see it if so.

I know a couple of ST holders who don't like it, and their opinion should matter to the club every bit as much as those that accept it.

I just think folk who rarely go to games, and fair play to them its everyone's own choice, moaning about it that are full of shite.  From some principled standpoint that we shouldn't have to give them more seats as it's embarrassing, or it looks bad on tv.  They're living in cloud cuckoo land, we shouldn't do it we should just get more Saints fans along to games.

It's exactly the stuff that waste coat willy Celtic fan comes out with, but I thought he was a bit of a no-righter so just accepted it with him.

15 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Despite Wotherspoon being predominantly a winger, I think they are really quite similar.

All about opinions and everything, but I don't agree with this at all.  Completely different styles I would say.

Both had very good second halfs tonight though!

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Has that been said? I didn't see it if so.

I know a couple of ST holders who don't like it, and their opinion should matter to the club every bit as much as those that accept it.

I just think folk who rarely go to games, and fair play to them its everyone's own choice, moaning about it that are full of shite.  From some principled standpoint that we shouldn't have to give them more seats as it's embarrassing, or it looks bad on tv.  They're living in cloud cuckoo land, we shouldn't do it we should just get more Saints fans along to games.

It's exactly the stuff that waste coat willy Celtic fan comes out with, but I thought he was a bit of a no-righter so just accepted it with him.

FWIW it might not have been the case, but it certainly seemed to me tonight that there weren't as many away fans in the main stand as you normally see at OF games. Still a few as far as I could tell but with 2 stands ther seem to be more. Maybe one of the positive unintended consequences. 

Just now, PauloPerth said:

All about opinions and everything, but I don't agree with this at all.  Completely different styles I would say.

Both had very good second halfs tonight though!

Thought McCann was actually OK in the first half too. Yep, opinons etc. Spoony more attacking and vocal,  I'll grant you that, but I think it's something about thier movement. 

Just now, ali_91 said:

How on Earth are away fans getting tickets for the home end? Anyone caught facilitating this should be whipped in the centre circle at half time of the next home game. Absolute vermin. 

I think it's a problem that's pretty difficult for clubs to police, and well documented on these pages. If there's demand for away ticket to the extent that they spill into the home crowd then giving them more away allocation is a way of dealing with that. Maybe not the 'right' way, but 'a' way.

It's just one man's view but it seemed tonight that it was more of a 'genuine' Saints crowd. 

Also wonder if how people feel about this is impacted by whether they have an East Stand ST or not. Can understand it's more emotional when you've got one of 'them' in 'your' seat, less emotive for the Main Standers perhaps.

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

If it spoilt the viewing experience of a few St Johnstone 'fans' who don't really go to games but slag the club off for this move even though it doesn't affect them in the slightest, then it's even more worthwhile.

Are you implying jamamafegan isn’t a ‘real’ fan then I suppose? What a load of shite. 

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

I’ve a season ticket and I also think it’s shit. The notion that it’s just those that don’t go to many games that think it’s the wrong decision is obviously bollocks. 

Of course it's not great, it really isn't, you understand why they've did it though. You haven't come on here and posted several times slagging the club, fellow Saints fans and any c**t else who you can think of, slagging off attendances while the games in full flow, sitting in your bedroom having been to TWO home games this season? There's the problem right there.