St Johnstone v Celtic, Wednesday 29/01/20

Probably unique here but I’ll go to a St Johnstone game if I can because I support them. Sometimes I cannae go. Sometimes it’s pish. But I’ll still go as supporting them is the hand I’ve been dealt. There’s little logic to it at times but there we go. Breaking oot the craft beer on the Astro isn’t going to make any fucking difference to me.

6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Probably unique here but I’ll go to a St Johnstone game if I can because I support them. Sometimes I cannae go. Sometimes it’s pish. But I’ll still go as supporting them is the hand I’ve been dealt. There’s little logic to it at times but there we go. Breaking oot the craft beer on the Astro isn’t going to make any fucking difference to me.

That’s good, very noble of you. I think the whole point though is that we need to start attracting new fans and lapsed fans,  not the die-hards who will go no matter what.

1 hour ago, Bose said:

Moving the games from weekends so much is making it difficult for me to justify my season ticket. Last night I didn’t travel, not because of the stands, but because the game was on tv and I was working today.

This was a major reason why I gave up my season ticket a couple of seasons ago. Too many matches shifted to times I couldn't travel through. Also, I suspect, a reason why gates against the OF are lower. It's not all because they're unpleasant fixtures. It's partly because they're on at odd times and on TV.

Spoiler

The 'match experience' seems to be a thing for some, less so for me, but that doesn't mean it's not valid.  Yes a selection of good pubs in staggering distance to the ground would be great but that's only available in city or town centre grounds. 

That's not to say that so much more could be done, especially local marketing and digital. We could also do with some visible, charismatic players and people around the club to create news and stories. 

Maybe one way to attract people is to invest to make the place a destintation. Daft examples maybe but the new Spurs stadium has an on-site brewery, and the Altlata Falcons have a massive video screen that circles the inside of the ground. Don't shoot these down for being unworkable - I'm not proposing in any way that they are options- I'm just saying that something unique and a bit different could help to bring people down. Heated seats are not uncommon now in cold weather venues, loads of folk won't go when it's too cold.  I know fanswith very young kids that don't/can't go to the game because they have to look after them - offer a creche/playgroup on match days? 

I'd settle for catering that takes card payment, not running out of pies at every game and TVs that actually work. Relatively basic upgrades like heated seats or a decent video screen seems like the stuff of dreams. 

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the concept you’ve suggested there. The fact that you’ve had to say “don’t shoot me down here” says it all, saints fan base is riddled with, as bonksy put it - happy clappers who will ridicule anyone putting different ideas forward. In their minds they are happy as things are, trodding along to McDiarmid to see Saints. That’s all very well for them and good on them for doing so. But the reality is most people don’t think like that and it’s why less and less folk, like me, are bothering to go now because the appeal has waned.

You have people like RandomGuy who continually tries to pick holes in my suggestions and make a mockery of them - while offering absolutely nothing in return. Absolutely pathetic. Fair enough mate if you enjoy going to McDiarmid to see Saints as things are, as I said, good for you and everyone else. Just because you enjoy that though doesn’t mean everyone else does and if you want to attract new fans then things simply need to change. New ideas are needed.

People are leaping on my suggestion of a fanzone because “it would be shit in winter.” If we’re going to be anal about that then yeah it wouldn’t be as good as in summer, no shit. However there’s nothing stopping the club from saying on social media “this week there will be a fanzone” or “there will be no fanzone this week” after checking the weather forecast. That’s literally all it takes, just keep people up to date with what’s going on. And FWIW a fanzone in winter with hot food, music and mulled wine would be class IMO. What’s not to like about that?

Face the facts - the lure of going to McDiarmid is not enough for the people of Perth unless you are a diehard/loyal supporter like the majority of saints posters on this site. There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting forward ideas that might get new people along to games. Giving Celtic 3 stands puts money in the bank but does absolutely nothing for enticing new Saints fans to support the club.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

That’s good, very noble of you. I think the whole point though is that we need to start attracting new fans and lapsed fans,  not the die-hards who will go no matter what.

Fair enough. I think some folk will look for any reason not to go, forgetting that the primary reason to go is to watch their team, simple as that. 

22 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the concept you’ve suggested there. The fact that you’ve had to say “don’t shoot me down here” says it all, saints fan base is riddled with, as bonksy put it - happy clappers who will ridicule anyone putting different ideas forward. In their minds they are happy as things are, trodding along to McDiarmid to see Saints. That’s all very well for them and good on them for doing so. But the reality is most people don’t think like that and it’s why less and less folk, like me, are bothering to go now because the appeal has waned.

You have people like RandomGuy who continually tries to pick holes in my suggestions and make a mockery of them - while offering absolutely nothing in return. Absolutely pathetic. Fair enough mate if you enjoy going to McDiarmid to see Saints as things are, as I said, good for you and everyone else. Just because you enjoy that though doesn’t mean everyone else does and if you want to attract new fans then things simply need to change. New ideas are needed.

People are leaping on my suggestion of a fanzone because “it would be shit in winter.” If we’re going to be anal about that then yeah it wouldn’t be as good as in summer, no shit. However there’s nothing stopping the club from saying on social media “this week there will be a fanzone” or “there will be no fanzone this week” after checking the weather forecast. That’s literally all it takes, just keep people up to date with what’s going on. And FWIW a fanzone in winter with hot food, music and mulled wine would be class IMO. What’s not to like about that?

Face the facts - the lure of going to McDiarmid is not enough for the people of Perth unless you are a diehard/loyal supporter like the majority of saints posters on this site. There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting forward ideas that might get new people along to games. Giving Celtic 3 stands puts money in the bank but does absolutely nothing for enticing new Saints fans to support the club.

The fanzone thing absolutely should be done, it's a sure fire money maker in the warmer months. I'd also open before Christmas with a few stalls selling gifts etc, not a Christmas market and f**k your mulled wine but aye we've all been open to that since the European games. I'm definitely against Americanised day outs though, f**k that yank pish.

20 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I also follow a club in Europe that has basically a permanent fanzone at the back of the main stand. It is a small club but the atmosphere is great. It gets colder temps than here, albeit drier,  with bbq's, merchandise stalls, drinks stands - beer, but non alcoholic for the derbies, not to mention cheap.  A day at the football doesn't break the bank so there's money to head out after. It ends up being part of the wknd and not all of it if you get my drift.   

I also follow a club in Europe that has basically a permanent fanzone at the back of the main stand. It is a small club but the atmosphere is great. It gets colder temps than here, albeit drier,  with bbq's, merchandise stalls, drinks stands - beer, but non alcoholic for the derbies, not to mention cheap.  A day at the football doesn't break the bank so there's money to head out after. It ends up being part of the wknd and not all of it if you get my drift.   

What team ???

37 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Fair enough. I think some folk will look for any reason not to go, forgetting that the primary reason to go is to watch their team, simple as that. 

I've seen various discussions from fans of different teams about this sort of thing, I think going to the football is a habit, but once the habit is broken it isn't so easy for clubs to get fans to come back to games. 

4 hours ago, tree house tam said:

The fanzone thing absolutely should be done, it's a sure fire money maker in the warmer months. I'd also open before Christmas with a few stalls selling gifts etc, not a Christmas market and f**k your mulled wine but aye we've all been open to that since the European games. I'm definitely against Americanised day outs though, f**k that yank pish.

Just bend over a bit more and let the old firm take over 95% of your stadium and you don't need to bother with other income.

Hanging onto the coattails of the old firm has never been applied more accurately to clubs like St Johnstone.

Just bend over a bit more and let the old firm take over 95% of your stadium and you don't need to bother with other income.
Hanging onto the coattails of the old firm has never been applied more accurately to clubs like St Johnstone.
For 2 hours, 4 times a year..

Only 1 of the 3 parties concerned has been liquidated In their illustrious histories, of course. Being smart or pragmatic isn't a shortcoming in Perth.

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Had a wee look to see what team you follow out of curiosity.

I think we can all feel flattered that you took a break from posting about skateboarding to have a wee dig at St Johnstone.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Had a wee look to see what team you follow out of curiosity.

I think we can all feel flattered that you took a break from posting about skateboarding to have a wee dig at St Johnstone.

Skateboarding and Coronavirus appear to be his twin obsessions