Nations League - Part 2

Am I reading it right in that the 2 playoff spots will go to group *winners* , I'm not sure I trust UEFA or my own reading comprehension based on the bold part of the quote 

It will involve the ten group runners-up plus the best two UEFA Nations League group winners (based on their overall UEFA Nations League rankings) who did not directly qualify or reach the play-offs.

i.e. is there an incentive for us to do well in this in terms of WC qualifying?

Example : If Netherlands, England, Portugal and Germany win the League A groups *and* qualify automatically for the WC, but (say) Iceland and Bosnia finish 2nd in their NL groups and also miss out on automatic WC qualification, would they get the 2 spots allocated to the Nations League as their overall ranking would be higher than any group B winners?

Edited by Fuctifano

3 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Am I reading it right in that the 2 playoff spots will go to group *winners* , I'm not sure I trust UEFA or my own reading comprehension based on the bold part of the quote 

Example : If Netherlands, England, Portugal and Germany win the League A groups *and* qualify automatically for the WC, but (say) Iceland and Bosnia finish 2nd in their NL groups and also miss out on automatic WC qualification, would they get the 2 spots allocated to the Nations League as their overall ranking would be higher than any group B winners?

It says it has to be Uefa nations league winner so don't think they would get it as a runner up.

24 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

In your example the playoff spots should go to the group B winners based on what I've read. I'd probably be sceptical about it though and expect UEFA to shift the goal posts if one of the big countries massively fucks up in the normal qualifiers.

No for the example. There'll be 12 teams in the playoffs. Ten 2nd place teams from the standard WC quali groups + 2 from these NL groups.

All the teams who don't finish 1st or 2nd in the standard quali group will be looked at to see who has won their NL group. Winner of an A group gets a spot over winner of a B. B winner gets a spot over C winner etc. Finishing 2nd in an A league will lose out to 1st in a B or C league. The rankings of the group winners in a league will be sorted by GD. Same as how Scotland were 1st seeds in the last C league.

That seems fucking mental, to be honest.  So one of the League B groups goes right down to the wire.  Two teams pummel the other two, and trade wins, with one going through on goal difference.  The runner-up has a much better record than any other League B side, even some winners.  They still get passed over for a League C group winner?  That seems wrong, which I guess would make it very on-brand for UEFA with this.

As for the draw, it's pretty meh, but better to be meh and winnable than exciting and a tall-order.  I'd have preferred a home nation in there, particularly Wales for a bit of revenge, but can't win them all.  If we manage to beat Israel in March, we've essentially claimed them so not worried there. Don't think the Czechs are that special, so Slovakia are the side to beat.  Still though, this one seems like the sort of group where everyone ends on similar points, as do quite a few of them.  Should be good.

Guest DAVIDB69

To me once again our best chance of a play off spot as there is little chance of us finishing in the top 2 of the main qualifying draw

To me once again our best chance of a play off spot as there is little chance of us finishing in the top 2 of the main qualifying draw
There's little chance of us finishing in the top two of a group that we don't even know the make up of?

Guest DAVIDB69
There's little chance of us finishing in the top two of a group that we don't even know the make up of?

One that will likely contain two teams on a different level to us

Think they need to keep things interesting for the C league and that's why they did the playoffs with NL group winners.
Uefa put themselves in a hole years ago when they announced that the NL would give spots for the WC too. They could have left it until 2025/26 when UEFA get 3 extra spots for the WC as it may give a better format.
FWIW I think it's a great draw. Don't know if we'll necessarily compete to win the group but it's not out of reach with a decent away result. How many points do you usually need to win a 4 team group? 11+?