Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

If they were both right footed centre halves would anyone be saying "it gives us a problem at left centre back"? Tierney and Cooper are English Premier League players. They can kick the ball with both feet.

Not at all, its just not ideal. 

Guest DAVIDB69
Clarke got a little evasive when asked about Tierney as the RB on Sportsound last night. He's definitely talked to Tierney about it but whether it's the plan for this game or long term I don't know. Personally I don't really like the idea but our record with him playing there is decent so I can't really complain much.
A settled squad for the next few months is key to progress. We can get away with some injuries in midfield and LB but need time to find a long term solution at CB.

A settled squad is key to us making any progress and having any chance of getting through these play offs .

An unsettled squad has held us back for years

I don't think playing Tierney as a centre-back in a two is a particularly good idea, because it stunts one of the best parts of his game which his attacking ability. When he has played centre-back for Arsenal and Celtic it has been on the left of a back three, and he has still had the freedom to get high up the park and get involved in the build up play. If we're going with a back four I'd prefer to see him at full-back.

4 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:
Which of our centre backs do you rate higher than him?

None of them, they're all varying degrees of shiteness. I've only seen Cooper a handful of times and he always looks like a red card waiting to happen.

"only seen Cooper a handful of times" but willing to spout opinions on him.

The centre back pairing needs to be Cooper plus one. He's come on leaps and bounds under Bielsa and it's looking increasingly likely he will be a starter again next season in the top flight down South.

The centre back pairing needs to be Cooper plus one. He's come on leaps and bounds under Bielsa and it's looking increasingly likely he will be a starter again next season in the top flight down South.
I'll be quoting this if he gets sent off against Israel.

Scottish internationalist and captain of the Championship champions going to Anfield on the opening day of the Premier League season. What could possibli go wrong?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think playing Tierney as a centre-back in a two is a particularly good idea, because it stunts one of the best parts of his game which his attacking ability. When he has played centre-back for Arsenal and Celtic it has been on the left of a back three, and he has still had the freedom to get high up the park and get involved in the build up play. If we're going with a back four I'd prefer to see him at full-back.

Careful. Pep and his pals will be all over you based on a friendly he played there against the Netherlands years ago.

A game in which Ryan Jack played well at RB.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

While I agree that Fraser should be condemned for his blatant apathy towards Scotland - it does make me wonder why, despite doing it more often than Fraser, Wienery gets a free pass?

giphy.gif

32 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, The Moonster said:
If they were both right footed centre halves would anyone be saying "it gives us a problem at left centre back"? Tierney and Cooper are English Premier League players. They can kick the ball with both feet.

Cooper hasn't played in the EPL yet

Yes he has.

3 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

While I agree that Fraser should be condemned for his blatant apathy towards Scotland - it does make me wonder why, despite doing it more often than Fraser, Wienery gets a free pass?

Probably because he suffered from a near career-ending chronic injury.  He’s spoken about it at length on a couple of podcasts recently.

It’s also the reason why he missed a significant amount of his last season with Celtic, and most of his first with Arsenal.

And despite this, he still has more caps than Fraser.

On 26/08/2020 at 09:27, The Moonster said:

Due to there being more right footed centre backs its not uncommon for right footed centre backs to be deployed on the left, it'll happen often through their years. Whereas with left footed players being a bit more of a rarity you tend to find its more uncommon for them to play on there "weaker side". 

On 25/08/2020 at 17:44, AJF said:

It's also worth remembering that people have seen Oli Burke play and he has been consistently rotten.

This isnt true though. When La Liga returned after COVID, Burke was actually pretty good for Alaves. He was OK wide midfield, but in the couple of games he played up top he was very good indeed - thats to say his performances against Atletico and Real Madrid. 

I wouldn't start him, but a lot of people are writing him off over previous performances when Alaves has probably been the best spell of his career since breaking through at Forest. 

Guest DAVIDB69

I know this sounds daft but I am not convinced Clarke and other recent Scotland managers actually watch players in action as much as they should before naming squads .

3 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

I know this sounds daft but I am not convinced Clarke and other recent Scotland managers actually watch players in action as much as they should before naming squads .

Could well be that that just isn't as necessary in the modern day.  With the likes of wyscout, I expect you don't really need to do much physical watching of players at games.  You can pull up a massive back catalogue of games and watch them at your leisure.  I'd imagine you would need the odd occasion of seeing them physically, but I don't think it'll be as important as it used to be.

6 hours ago, JMDP said:

This isnt true though. When La Liga returned after COVID, Burke was actually pretty good for Alaves. He was OK wide midfield, but in the couple of games he played up top he was very good indeed - thats to say his performances against Atletico and Real Madrid. 

I wouldn't start him, but a lot of people are writing him off over previous performances when Alaves has probably been the best spell of his career since breaking through at Forest. 

I'd always have him in the squad, particularly as we're so light on any options.  Having a confident Burke using his physical aspects against tired defences is probably going to be more successful than asking Chris Martin to come on and back his massive arse into defenders.