Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

11 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Can someone with a footballing brain please verify that I'm not going mental and Stuart Armstrong played wide in a front three for Southampton for months? Eg @craigkillie

Yes, that's where he almost exclusively played after the restart and was playing some of the best football of his career.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, that's where he almost exclusively played after the restart and was playing some of the best football of his career.

Thank you. I thought I was losing the plot until I remembered I actually sit and watch the games.

Guest DAVIDB69

So what’s our options up front for Friday , doesn’t seem to be much left.

Papers saying dykes is an option “if” we want to go long.

He will be getting long balls punted to him to chase on his own.

That is the only plan we ever seem to have.

Some papers are still confused calling this a play off semi.

I have never seen dykes play so cant comment. All ive heard is that he can hold the ball up so might be a good shout for the lone striker. Callum Paterson also played up front for cardiff with a relative degree of success

Armstrongs best position is clearly as number 10 where he gets close to the striker and runs off him and beyond the defence. The issue is that this is probably mcginns best position as well. To be honest, i would probably drop mcginn back and play armstrong. Mctominay and mcregor as the “holding” midfielders.

The width is also an issue as forrest has not been great the last few games and fraser aint available. Can christie play wide right? That then means forrest is wide left which is not his usual position and he is very one footed which would become too obvious.

Defence may need to be four left footers with tiernay at right back if fit which is probably not ideal but better than the other options.

Quite simply total clichéd bollocks with no basis in reality whatsoever.

Yeah i never really understand why people say that. Scotland have got some cracking technical players. Id argue that the current squad is as good as its ever been (not all positions). Its just a case getting a formation and style that works for them all

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Forwarded the Sky remote to Friday did not see this game listed. Was going to watch this on stream Now TV again nothing on the listings.  Yet Google the game it reads sky sports ? 

It is on Sky Sports Main Event.

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just had a wee look the main event sky reads England v Australia 1st T20  ?  Not listed on other sky channel's.  Or is it me :(

Might not be in the planner yet but Sky advertised it during the Aberdeen-Hibs game. Think the coverage starts at 7.

11 minutes ago, sidofthesouth said:

1. Mclaughlin

2. Tierney
5. Mctominay
6. Cooper
3. Robbo

7. Forrest
8. Armstrong
4. Mcgregor
10. Mcginn
11. Christie

9. Dykes

4-5-1 formation.
All premier league back four.

wut.

Has he ever played there?

15 hours ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

Let's be honest here.   Have you ever met a genuinely intelligent mechanic?   

Loads. If fixing up cars was easy you wouldn't have people asking silly questions on that car advice thread on PnB. 

I get that some people just really don't like RandomGuy, but It's weird that people go out there way to dig him out on opinions that aren't remotely contentious, Armstrong has indeed been playing on the right of a three but just because he's played there for a few months doesn't mean he's now incapable of playing as a centre mid, so quite why you're getting so emotional about it is baffling. You're not coming across as some footballing expert just because you've watched a few Southampton games, you're coming across as a vindictive arsehole. I mean fucking hell when Hasenhuttl started playing Armstrong on the right were you crying about Armstrong playing in a position he hadn't played much? Probably not. 

I'd be interested in having Armstrong as the Rcm with Forrest on his outside, creating overloads on the right with the left footed Tierney playing at right back, has he played there much? No, is he our best option there? Could well be. 

McBurnie was almost certain to get another chance here based on club form and, more importantly, a lack of viable alternatives, so it leaves us rather in the lurch. That being said, at least we are spared any potential repeat of that performance away to Cyprus, one of the worst performances I have ever personally seen from a Scotland forward. 

If Paterson has called up on an emergency basis, you do wonder if it wouldn't have been more sensible to call up a younger player who might one day actually be a regular in the squad. All Patterson is ever going to be is an emergency makeshift who we only play in extremis, so not sure what value there is in having him there rather than a younger, actual striker. 

Dykes or Burke? Burke has terrifying pace and is a strong all round athlete, but he doesn't seem to have the nous to link the plauy and bring our real weapons into it. So I guess Dykes by default (jesus we need Griff to get his act together or Fletcher to beg forgiveness) and Burke can come on later to use his pace against a tiring defence if need be?

I think I'd go 4-4-1-1, which seems to be more or less how we've ended up playing during the last few games given the way Mcginn has been pushing up to support the striker. 4-2-4 with the ball, 4-5-1 without it, give or take. 

Marshall- Tierney, Gallagher, Cooper, Robertson- Forrest, McTominay, McGregor, Christie- McGinn- Dykes.

Armstrong is a quality player but I think Christie as a left footer is better suited (and has played games already) and McGinn has been our goal threat, so just squeak ahead of him. Wouldn't tear my hair out were he to start, though. Sorely tempted to try Tierney at centre half and play Palmer right back, but Cooper warrants another chance and we do need a penalty box defender; I don't think we actually have one, at all, but Gallagher might be the closest thing.

Screenshot_20200831_142933.thumb.jpg.6b3289e24d1f40edd2d28a59e1eca076.jpg

That's my team, wouldn't be emotional if Marshall was picked ahead of McLaighlin, just sided with the former due to the season starting and he's not had any howlers. Gallacher or McKenna would be sound. I'd like to see that midfield three but if you fancied making it a 4231 I'd drop Christie, bring in McGregor to have him sit with Mctominay, then have Forrest and Armstrong wide, punt Armstrong on the left just to see Marshmallo have a breakdown on the match thread. 

Dykes or Burke aswell I suppose. I didn't watch much of Burke at Alves but apparently he was good.