Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

John Carver, the absolute dumpling who was caretaker at Newcastle has joined the coaching staff. Seems to have a fairly decent reputation as a coach but he's still a complete dumpling IMO.

Guest DAVIDB69
John Carver, the absolute dumpling who was caretaker at Newcastle has joined the coaching staff. Seems to have a fairly decent reputation as a coach but he's still a complete dumpling IMO.

Of course Clarke will know him from his stint at Newcastle although not the most inspiring of signings .

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

McGregor is in the top two players in Scotland and would be a top performers for about 14 of the teams in The Barclays.

I'm a massive fan of his - but in his 18 caps for Scotland he has done the square root of f**k all.

Given McGinn's goal scoring form and McTominay's (or Jack's) ability to play more defensively, McGregor's position should absolutely be under threat. 

Edited by Jacky1990

55 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

As I said already, all Paterson is ever going to be for Scotland is an emergency makeshift forward. Since he will feature only in extremis, it'd be better to include a young striker, rather than a midfielder who used to play right back and is now a forward in an emergency. I struggle to see in which capacity Paterson's inclusion offers more value than a taste for an actual, you know, forward. Prospective forwards tend to be young, younger even than 25. 

Paterson is not and never shall be included as a forward option in any other circumstances. 

Who though?

Fraser Hornby? Kevin Nisbet? Genuinely cant think of anyone else who even comes close and even those two have done nothing to merit inclusion.

Paterson at least offers us the battering ram approach if we need a plan C or D.

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

And San Jose is the capital city of Costa Rica. What's your point?

I'm a massive fan of his - but in his 18 caps for Scotland he has done the square root of f**k all.

Given McGinn's goal scoring form and McTominay's (or Jack's) ability to play more defensively, McGregor's position should absolutely be under threat. 

A year or two ago I thought McGregor was an automatic choice but I think he has plateau'd the last year, maybe due to the volume of games he has played but I think we have a lot of good central midfielders with maybe only McGinn being an automatic choice for me.

If he was as good as some people think then he would be in a top 10 EPL team, he isn't. Almost every EPL team would treble his wages so if he was genuinely interesting these top sides then he would be there. 

Saying that I do really like him but his place in the starting team isn't guaranteed.

34 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

I hope Clarke isn’t really negative in these games. I’d like to see Scotland have a proper go at these teams and so far he’s just set us up to not lose. 

In his 8 games so far, four of them have been against rubbish teams (Cyprus x2, San Marino, Kazakhstan), and in each of them we have gone out to win and have won - comfortably so in all but the first Cyprus game at Hampden. The other four were against Belgium and Russia, two World Cup quarter-finalists. The Russia game at Hampden we definitely set out to win, because we had to, but we shat it once we went 1-0 up. The other three, fair enough we probably were looking to keep it tight (unsusccessfully), but I think it's reasonable in those.

These two games are the first ones Clarke has really had against teams who are supposed to be on a par with or slightly better than, so we have absolutely no evidence as to how we're going to set up. It's not going to be gung ho, because he's never been that sort of manager, but I also doubt we're going to stick 11 men behind the ball.

Marshall

McTominay                                    McKenna                                 Tierney

Forrest                          Armstrong                             McGinn                Robertson

Paterson                             Dykes                          Burke

Baws oot, launch it.

Honestly, I wouldn't even start Tierney against Israel.  Probably be needed more for the Czech game.  Injury record has been poor and I'd be worried he got hurt and missed a game we will win without him.  Palmer has been fine at right back so far for us. Might as well give two actual centre halves a game playing 90 minutes together and try and build something.  People ragged on Martin/Hanley when Strachan picked them and they became solid enough when options were poor.