Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

3 months is impractical. Folk are going crazy as it is and it’s only been just over  a week. I can’t imagine families/partners that don’t live together etc, sticking to social distancing measures for 3 months

Tough shit i'm afraid, it's the way life is atm, last time these type of measures happened was back in WW2. Families and partners went years without seeing each other, if they were one of the lucky ones to come back from the war.

I think we can survive a few months of sitting in the house watching netflix, doing a bit of gardening and that sort of stuff. I know it's alien lifestyle for pretty much all of us but it's a sacrifice we all have to make for the long term. Go back out to normal life too soon and this shit will happen again next winter. 

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Tough shit i'm afraid, it's the way life is atm, last time these type of measures happened was back in WW2. Families and partners went years without seeing each other, if they were one of the lucky ones to come back from the war.

How much social distancing went on in ww2 ouf of interest? 

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

How much social distancing went on in ww2 ouf of interest? 

I think he means the type of imposition on individual liberty imposed by Goverment, rather than social distancing specifically. Rules were imposed, but they were different ones.

@parsforlife, as previously stated, please stop, you're having a 'mare.

Guest Flash
10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There will be a lot more than 86 furloughed, its just that on Friday the SPFL notified clubs that for players to be formally furloughed in football registrations they had to issue contract variations and get them signed or agreed by email. Which is a complete pain in the arse to organise and seemingly unnecessary in any other employment. There will be a delay in getting those drafted, sent out and returned from all players.

I would be surprised if there are many players outside the top division not furloughed to be honest. 

Players also have the option to reject being furloughed of course, as any other employee does, in which case clubs will need to decide their next move. 

Do you know whether HMRC will accept the furlough to have started when the players were sent letters from the clubs or after the SPFL rigmarole is complied with? 

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

The odds on police shutting down village pubs when the punters know to stay sush are low. Lock ins and serving underagers have been going on for forever under nudge nudge wink wink arrangements with police knowledge, unless regulations for covid are significantly more severe than this then the same sort of arrangements will take place.

It is a lot harder *from a distance* to make it look like a pub isn't open when it is than to make it look like it isn't serving pints to acne-ridden tosspots.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Jesus. Do we have bombs dropping on us, do we have rationing, do we have loved ones dying on foreign fields due to a bullet or explosives?? Get a grip of yourself.

Was this Will I Am's segment in black eyed peas Where is the luv? 

50 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Jesus. Do we have bombs dropping on us, do we have rationing, do we have loved ones dying on foreign fields due to a bullet or explosives?? Get a grip of yourself.

^Has tweet notifications for when Piers Morgan tweets. 

13 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Do you think it is because they won’t get caught or because they think they won’t catch it ? And if they do it won’t be severe. Sadly, more younger people are catching it and dying.
STAY HOME
PROTECT THE NHS
SAVE LIVES
(maybe even your own)

^^^ banged a pot at 8pm as well

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

BBC Sport site today reporting that, according to the clubs, voiding this season is "not on the agenda" at their latest meeting.

Voided season it is, then...

From the Courier - Uefa warned that declaring the 2019/20 campaign null and void because of the coronavirus shutdown would put participation in European competition at risk.

Can’t see it happening now.

Edited by kdyteejay

3 hours ago, Flash said:

Do you know whether HMRC will accept the furlough to have started when the players were sent letters from the clubs or after the SPFL rigmarole is complied with? 

I dont think HMRC will care two hoots what hoops the football authorities are making clubs needlessly jump through. I think furlough will start from 13th March for players regardless of when letters were sent. Thats when the authorities suspended the game and the Govt has already confirmed they will accept claims backdated to 1st March where the cause was the coronavirus and indeed are encouraging employers to rehire people who left since end Feb in order to put them on the scheme.

Non football staff may be later of course. That depends when other activities closed down.

Edited to add - I dont know if the spfl will continue to update furlough numbers but I have reason to believe there will be a significant three figure rise in the number formally furloughed by now.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

27 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

From the Courier - Uefa warned that declaring the 2019/20 campaign null and void because of the coronavirus shutdown would put participation in European competition at risk.

Can’t see it happening now.

From the BBC News website:

"Scotland's top football clubs could miss out on European competition next season unless they can complete the current domestic campaign.

Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.

A letter sent by Uefa states that a plan is being formulated to complete current campaigns across the continent in July and August.

Both Uefa club competitions, currently at the last 16, would also then resume. "

Read the full story here.

8 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

From the BBC News website:

"Scotland's top football clubs could miss out on European competition next season unless they can complete the current domestic campaign.

Leagues across Europe have been told that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.

A letter sent by Uefa states that a plan is being formulated to complete current campaigns across the continent in July and August.

Both Uefa club competitions, currently at the last 16, would also then resume. "

Read the full story here.

No surprise that Uefa fails to understand the gravity of what is going on across Europe.

Guest Flash
25 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont think HMRC will care two hoots what hoops the football authorities are making clubs needlessly jump through. I think furlough will start from 13th March for players regardless of when letters were sent. Thats when the authorities suspended the game and the Govt has already confirmed they will accept claims backdated to 1st March where the cause was the coronavirus and indeed are encouraging employers to rehire people who left since end Feb in order to put them on the scheme.

Non football staff may be later of course. That depends when other activities closed down.

Edited to add - I dont know if the spfl will continue to update furlough numbers but I have reason to believe there will be a significant three figure rise in the number formally furloughed by now.

Fair enough. I thought the claims could only start from when employees were legally furloughed and the earliest that would be was when the letters were issued to them and they accepted, not before. Although the Government has said they will accept claims back to 1 March, I didn’t think they would accept them from before employees were legally furloughed, unless they had been laid off, in which case they could be rehired, as you say, and placed on furlough. 

If you’re happy that claims can be backdated to when football  stopped and that the letters are irrelevant, then that’s good.

23 minutes ago, Flash said:

Fair enough. I thought the claims could only start from when employees were legally furloughed and the earliest that would be was when the letters were issued to them and they accepted, not before. Although the Government has said they will accept claims back to 1 March, I didn’t think they would accept them from before employees were legally furloughed, unless they had been laid off, in which case they could be rehired, as you say, and placed on furlough. 

If you’re happy that claims can be backdated to when football  stopped and that the letters are irrelevant, then that’s good.

As I understand it they are asking employers to rehire people who left since Feb to go self employed or take career breaks etc. To save people dropping through the cracks as far as possible. They dont have to have been laid off. I dont see any difficulty at all in making a retrospective claim that footballers were in furlough from the day the SFA decreed all football activity cease regardless of when they got a letter saying so. Although they do need to be sent an actual letter stating the date.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Surprised that UEFA don't just do what they've always wanted to and invite only the clubs they want.

It's actually the clubs' body that wants to have a perpetual super league. That you think UEFA is the force supporting this rather than trying (and failing) holding back that tide is down to plain ignorance on your part tbh.

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

No surprise that Uefa fails to understand the gravity of what is going on across Europe.

Sorry, what on earth are UEFA as well as the SFA, the SPFL etc. supposed to be doing instead at the moment? Their job is to organise professional football competitions: those competitions have been suspended across Europe and plans need to be made as to whether/how they proceed after the current situation is over. If they were just twiddling their thumbs and sending endless 'thoughts and prayers x' tweets then they wouldn't actually be doing their fucking job.