Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Just now, Specky Ginger said:

Other than the issue of players being out of contract.

That's not an issue, as the summer restarts of several European top flights and the CL in 2020 demonstrated. And they have until early June without even having to consider holding on to  registrations. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's nothing to stop the play-offs being moved back by as many weeks as necessary/desirable. 

3 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Other than the issue of players being out of contract.

And the Premiership not extending it's season likewise, making the seasons non-concurrent and playoffs unworkable.

Just now, virginton said:

That's not an issue, as the summer restarts of several European top flights and the CL in 2020 demonstrated. And they have until early June without even having to consider holding on to  registrations. 

Well it clearly is a potential issue where players have signed pre-contracts, etc or simply don't want to do so (see Fraser, Ryan).

58 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Re the 500 figure it does seem something of an arbitrary figure.  On the face of it a percentage of capacity would seem more sensible. For example roughly 10% of the Firhill capacity would be 1,000 and that's a figure I can't imagine would be too difficult to accommodate in a socially distanced Firhill. We did so in the early stages of the current season in any case did we not? 

A flat percentage rate across all stadiums is a little more problematic though. 10% at Parkhead is nearer 6,000 than it is a 1,000 and I suspect the permitted figure is less to do with what figure can be accommodated safely inside a football stadium to watch 90 minutes of football and more with overall social interactions, inside and outside grounds, that comes with it. Not sure I entirely follow the public health logic in non-essential shops remaining open though while football turnstiles remain locked.

Think you could easily do the percentage idea but also have a maximum. So 10% or 20% of capacity, with a maximum of 5,000 etc.

Think the non-essential shops, cinemas, museums etc would all be getting shut too if there was adequate funding available or some targeted funding. I’ve seen people complain that football is getting “picked on” but their argument is almost calling on more things to be closed, which I don’t think is desired.

5 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Need to keep this show on the road IMO. Behind closed doors is rotten but it's better than nothing.

Maybe for the club but certainly not for me. I’d rather not bother.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well it clearly is a potential issue where players have signed pre-contracts, etc or simply don't want to do so (see Fraser, Ryan).

It's clearly not an issue though, as the fact that multiple leagues carried on regardless of Ryan Fraser's decision demonstrates. 

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It wasn't (or shouldn't) be serving alcohol during the actual game though.

I didn't say it was.

You said.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The fact that it's against the law to watch live football directly from a bar inside a Scottish football ground?

I was in a box which had a bar, whilst watching live football.

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Need to keep this show on the road IMO. Behind closed doors is rotten but it's better than nothing.

No, it is worse than nothing. Professional football is a spectator sport. It is the fans who pay the wages of these glorified Herbalife salesmen - they are there to entertain the crowd (often in the loosest possible sense of the word), if that is not possible then games should not be taking place until it is possible. 

This halfway house pish on offer should no longer be tolerated as a viable alternative. 

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

When the announcement was made yesterday I was of the view that we should continue to play while permitted to do so. 

My concern about shutting down would be if there were further Covid interruptions to the season or a prolonged period of bad weather and subsequent postponements. Then you have the potential of a serious fixture backlog. cruel after what we've all collectively suffered since March 2020.  

Sorry but that’s just far too sensible and rational.

Just now, virginton said:

No, it is worse than nothing. Professional football is a spectator sport. It is the fans who pay the wages of these glorified Herbalife salesmen - they are there to entertain the crowd (often in the loosest possible sense of the word), if that is not possible then games should not be taking place until it is possible. 

This halfway house pish on offer should no longer be tolerated as a viable alternative. 

Anyone who would willingly pay £10+ to sit in their house and watch a Scottish Championship game on a shitty stream on Boxing Day needs professional help IMO.

There's nothing to stop the play-offs being moved back by as many weeks as necessary/desirable. 

The top flight season has to be done by the 31st May for UEFA competition entry, and then you have the exact same issue as last season where the league above is not going to agree to an extension for the play-offs.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The top flight season has to be done by the 31st May for UEFA competition entry, and then you have the exact same issue as last season where the league above is not going to agree to an extension for the play-offs.

It quite clearly doesn't have to be done by May 31st though. As the 19/20 campaigns in England, Germany, Italy and Spain have already demonstrated. 

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I didn't say it was.

You said.

I was in a box which had a bar, whilst watching live football.

I salute your extreme pedantry sir. Never the less the point stands. Those people would have to come out of the 500 if they are able to see the ground whether behind glass in a bar or not.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

It is possible to entertain a crowd who are watching it remotely elsewhere though. I'm not saying they should play on but the argument that they should help to entertain people who haven't anything else to do and need to vest their interest in their club has validity. You not liking it doesn't make it otherwise.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

It quite clearly doesn't have to be done by May 31st though. As the 19/20 campaigns in England, Germany, Italy and Spain have already demonstrated. 

Well it does if all the other leagues are not also extending (which they aren't) and UEFA are not extending deadlines (which they aren't).

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is possible to entertain a crowd who are watching it remotely elsewhere though.

Yes, as I'm sure all our thrilling experiences of the breathtaking 20/21 season demonstrate. 

I'm not saying they should play on but the argument that they should help to entertain people who haven't anything else to do and need to vest their interest in their club has validity. You not liking it doesn't make it otherwise.

The argument that entertainment will be provided by a gubbins stream of a closed-door game is devoid of any convincing evidence. Last time I checked this was a Scottish football forum in which such preferences may be debated, whether you like it or not either. 

Well it does if all the other leagues are not also extending (which they aren't) and UEFA are not extending deadlines (which they aren't).

Care to remind us when the major European leagues and UEFA decided to extend their season deadlines during the 19/20 season?

Hint: it wasn't prior to December 2019.

That was a UEFA decision to extend that for every league across Europe and delay the start of the 2020/21 Champions League and Europa League. It's not a decision the SFA or SPFL can make unilaterally.

They'd obviously be able to request it or lobby other FAs about it, but given that no other league has stopped for covid I'd imagine they'd be laughed out of the room.