Maradona was better than Messi

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

...but Maradona  was a monster of a player.  The daddy of them all for me. Oh and he did win Mexico 86 pretty much on his own.

The ball skills level that very top players had back then was a step up from now but fitness levels and tactical systems were not as advanced as they nowadays.  My response on seeing the title of the thread is yes of course why is that even a question. Teams now would piss all over teams from back then but based on a collective effort from 11 rather than the special skills of  just1.

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Completely irrelevant when you read what I said. I said affect the game, did he create chances for his teammates, did he have efforts on goal, was he flying into tackles,or like Messi was he standing around passively watching his team to out and jogging about not touching the ball or affecting play at all?  Also was Maradona coked off his face, bearing in mind he was a drug addict for the last few years at Napoli?

I was just winding you up, tbh.

3 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

If it wasn't for injury

This is the greatest proof R9 was the best.

He won 2 world cups, is the record world cup goalscorer, played in 4 separate leagues in his career (including two of the best European leagues) and has a better a goal every 2 games average in them all (and also for Brazil). He broke the world record transfer fee twice, won the World Player of the Year award three times in an era containing Prime Zidane/Rivaldo/Figo, and in total won over 55 personal awards for performance.

All that, in a career that saw him play for Barca and Real Madrid, and come away loved by both, and people still talk about how injuries ruined him. He was 23 when injury took his pace, and he still had the career he had.

I'm too young to have seen Maradona, but I struggle to envisage how any player could be better than R9. He literally had everything.

Edited by RandomGuy.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was just winding you up, tbh.

This is the greatest proof R9 was the best.

He won 2 world cups, is the record world cup goalscorer, played in 4 separate leagues in his career (including two of the best European leagues) and has a better a goal every 2 games average in them all (and also for Brazil). He broke the world record transfer fee twice, won the World Player of the Year award three times in an era containing Prime Zidane/Rivaldo/Figo, and in total won over 55 personal awards for performance.

All that, in a career that saw him play for Barca and Real Madrid, and come away loved by both, and people still talk about how injuries ruined him. He was 23 when injury took his pace, and he still had the career he had.

I'm too young to have seen Maradona, but I struggle to envisage how any player could be better than R9. He literally had everything.

I think it was earlier, he lost that wearing pace when he was.injured the year before France 98 when he would only have been 20. He was.never as explosively fast after that. He was amazing at Inter until his big injury anyway but I think the most impressive thing is he was as good as he was when physically he was pretty much done by 20. 

• 5 months later...

I, like a few others on here, was lucky enough to be able to watch Maradona live on TV, albeit in the ill-fated 1994 World Cup, but even then, he oozed quality. 

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I, like a few others on here, was lucky enough to be able to watch Maradona live on TV, albeit in the ill-fated 1994 World Cup, but even then, he oozed quality. 

the '86 world cup was the first i avidly watched so,obviously,im a maradona man

was gutted he never played in the '89 friendly at hampden,was still nice beating the world champs though

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but here nonetheless. I'm personally team Messi, but it's not fair to judge players or even teams from different eras. The gameplay and tactics are completely opposed. Honestly, I'm one of those people that say that they watch football for the gameplay and it might just be true in my case. It pretty much hurts when I catch a glimpse of those friendly games between small clubs. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones too, but in general, I'm more interested in the game strategy and tactics than the overall show. That's what got me into this sport in the first place and that's what I look mostly at in players. I guess that's why I like Messi more, cause, regarding today's overall gameplay he has better skills. I like to stay super informed, like reading articles, being subscribed to a Lionel Messi info website, etc. so I pretty much talk only facts.

Edited by andreeacrst

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 09/01/2021 at 20:36, andreeacrst said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but here nonetheless. I'm personally team Messi, but it's not fair to judge players or even teams from different eras. The gameplay and tactics are completely opposed. Honestly, I'm one of those people that say that they watch football for the gameplay and it might just be true in my case. It pretty much hurts when I catch a glimpse of those friendly games between small clubs. Don't get me wrong, there are some good ones too, but in general, I'm more interested in the game strategy and tactics than the overall show. That's what got me into this sport in the first place and that's what I look mostly at in players. I guess that's why I like Messi more, cause, regarding today's overall gameplay he has better skills. I like to stay super informed, like reading articles, being subscribed to a Lionel Messi info web site, etc. so I pretty much talk only facts.

Better late than never! It's great to hear your perspective on football. Team Messi all the way, and you're absolutely right about the challenges of comparing players and teams across eras. Your focus on gameplay, strategy, and tactics over the overall show is refreshing. It's evident that your love for the sport goes beyond the surface, and staying informed through articles and dedicated subscriptions adds a layer of depth to your passion. Kudos for keeping it factual and appreciating the essence of the game! ⚽🌟