Favourite Non-football football songs.

On 06/04/2020 at 17:39, Green Day said:

SoL? Its a love song.

I definitely remember an interview with them when the album came out saying it was about watching Hibs lose. I've tried but i can't find it. I did find an interview from 2007 where they said it was a love song, about a place but not a specific person. 

I concede the frame

On 09/04/2020 at 10:25, Archie McSquackle said:

I can't make my mind up whether that song is for Willie Pettigrew or Johnny Gaghan for me although Pettigrew certainly fitted better.

The Galloway one makes me laugh. You could see he got wound up by it so it was just sung more often at every away ground in particular. I'm sure I've seen old highlights where it comes across loud and clear.

It was for Willie, Johnny was on the wing

ging gang goo

Edited by ropy

Our League 1 season where we came straight back up we came out the tunnel to 'Back In Black'. Was our first season back wearing our black kit for the home kit. Was pretty nice and better than the same old shite you'd normally hear.

Then again we have Starbeat so aye

the flip side to this sort of thing is the utterly moronic use of Tom Hark as a goal "celebration" song by (insert name of any professional team whose sport involves scoring goals) - absolutely fucking dreadful, brain-dead shite; the only time this was ever remotely acceptable was way back when it first came out  (early 80's) and used to follow a goal scored by the opposition when it'd prompt a cathartic chorus of "you're laughing now - I don't know why - coz after the match, you're gonna die..."

one properly good thing about it is that the original band who released it were called  Elias and His Zig-Zag Jive Flutes, which is a very excellent name....

that said, there have been some better "ad hoc" uses of the same tune (as opposed to choreographed goal music), such as the derby fans at elland road singing "take your scarves - and f**k off home" after they'd beaten leeds in the play off semi final and the united fans had all been given special "promotion" scarves by the club...

but anyway, very definitely a non-football song which will forever be associated with the game, now....

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

KC & The Sunshine Band: Give It up

If you were there then you'll understand

ac-saints3_2881175b.jpg

Always knew you were a Saintee at heart...

On 02/04/2020 at 15:30, akuram said:

The playing of “ Sweet Caroline “ at Celtic Park after our cup win in 2014 will always be special to me.

13 minutes ago, deej said:

image.png.d9bf2cdf0e41bad6d7bc9ea24008c014.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=bd729091e51e729a

Is this... a Rangers scarf?

I'm sure there was a debate at it at the time it was noticed, but cannot remember how it ended up.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Did this have something to do with France 98?

I don't remember that. I remember the tune (utter banger) but it was Dario G and "carnival de Paris" that was the bangin dance choon du tournoi.

Happy to be proven wrong here though. 

47 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's yellow.  Saints scarves like this have been made as far back as Muirton times.

Also sweet caroline is a fucking abomination.

Fair enough. 

To the scarf, not the opinion on Sweet Caroline. That's just fucking offensive

I don't remember that. I remember the tune (utter banger) but it was Dario G and "carnival de Paris" that was the bangin dance choon du tournoi.
Happy to be proven wrong here though. 

According to Wikipedia:
Ecuador was released towards April 1997

So according to preference it’ll have to be associated with Rangers clinching nine in a row, Kilmarnock winning the Scottish Cup, St Johnstone coming up, Raith going down or Hibs staying up by winning a playoff against Airdrie or John Robertson equalling and then breaking Jimmy Wardaugh’s goal scoring record with two in the last 10 minutes against Rangers