The SPFL recommendation?

3 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Forget faffing about with your 14 or 16 team league, I’d go 20. 20 clubs in this country could manage 1500  gates minimum, not much boredom there and we could pretend it’s like the Premiership. 20-12-12. Perfect.

You may be too young to remember the reason that they changed from an 18 team top flight? Or, at least the reason that they gave us which was that there were too many meaningless matches for mid-table teams toward the end of the season and therefore very boring.

Things got much more exciting when they changed to smaller leagues and a happy wee side effect was that the OF made more money, meaning they could pull away from the rest that wee bit more easily, leading to a less competitive league resulting in it becoming, eh, well, boring...

3 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You may be too young to remember the reason that they changed from an 18 team top flight? Or, at least the reason that they gave us which was that there were too many meaningless matches for mid-table teams toward the end of the season and therefore very boring.

Things got much more exciting when they changed to smaller leagues and a happy wee side effect was that the OF made more money, meaning they could pull away from the rest that wee bit more easily, leading to a less competitive league resulting in it becoming, eh, well, boring...

Well there you go, we can go through something fresh for a wee bit before it gets boring again and repeat.

(I jest of course, I know it’s about money).

4 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

There is a huge disadvantage to Clyde, Peterhead, Forfar and Stranraer. There is a big difference in crowds playing the current league 1 teams compared with those in league 2. Prize money will be less too assuming no changes and those clubs would be one relegation away from the LL or HL rather than two.

14-10-10-10 is the fairest way if we need to restructure.

The interesting thing about 14-14-14 (or 16), is that the teams in the current Championship and the top 6 in League One would be playing with fire, and the weaker teams in League Two would be flirting with the abyss. There is a pretty significant chance of returning to some version of 12-10-10-10 (or 12) after a season or two. So, let’s play that out...

At the end of the season, the 44 teams are assigned a number, based upon position. Teams 1-12 are new Premiership, 13-22 New Championship, 23-32 new League One and 33-42 (or 44) new League Two. So that would mean two demotions from top level, 6 drop from second level, 4 promoted from bottom level and (possibly) 2 teams into the abyss.

There’s also the issue of “evening out” the payment differences between levels, which would be necessary with the larger number of clubs at the top level. There’s at least another £1M needed for the prize money for places 13 and 14; in the new second level, there will need to either be an across the board reduction of 10-20% to allow payment at the same scale for teams 23-28; likewise, the pay for team 29 (previously 7th in League One) through 32 would have to be reduced OR the pay for teams 33-42 (or 44) increased (or added) at additional cost. On the whole, about £2,000,000 needs to be found to pay this design...will Celtic and Rangers give that up?

52 games a season seriously???
No way it would be 39 or 32.3 times a season tops.

Obviously we won’t have 52 games. I would imagine there will be 26 games and then a split.

If not, the other option of playing 3 times is even worse.

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

52 games a season seriously???

No way it would be 39 or 32.3 times a season tops.

Based on a 14 team league?

32 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Obviously we won’t have 52 games. I would imagine there will be 26 games and then a split.

If not, the other option of playing 3 times is even worse.

This format would give teams a minimum of 19 home games, one more than the current 18 home games in the bottom 3 divisions.

Given the losses incurred by clubs due to lockdown, clubs would relish the extra income from that game.

You may be too young to remember the reason that they changed from an 18 team top flight? Or, at least the reason that they gave us which was that there were too many meaningless matches for mid-table teams toward the end of the season and therefore very boring. Things got much more exciting when they changed to smaller leagues and a happy wee side effect was that the OF made more money, meaning they could pull away from the rest that wee bit more easily, leading to a less competitive league resulting in it becoming, eh, well, boring... 

I know that was the reason at the time but I’ve never got this too many meaningless games argument (the Sky demand 4 OF games is different), worked down south and used to watch League 2 football and never once heard a fan moan about the league of 24 being too many meaningless games as it’s not the same teams always in mid table and a mid table season is a chance to give a couple of your youngsters a go without suddenly falling through the trap door (something our clubs are reluctant to do in small leagues). Personally I’d much rather we had 18 team leagues more verity of teams and local derbies are a bigger event as it’s your only home game for bragging rights against your rivals.

49 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I know that was the reason at the time but I’ve never got this too many meaningless games argument (the Sky demand 4 OF games is different), worked down south and used to watch League 2 football and never once heard a fan moan about the league of 24 being too many meaningless games as it’s not the same teams always in mid table and a mid table season is a chance to give a couple of your youngsters a go without suddenly falling through the trap door (something our clubs are reluctant to do in small leagues). Personally I’d much rather we had 18 team leagues more verity of teams and local derbies are a bigger event as it’s your only home game for bragging rights against your rivals.

We didn't have playoffs back then either which reduces the number of so called meaningless fixtures by some margin. 

47 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

This. Meaningless games for who? No Falkirk game is meaningless to me as I am sure that no Raith Rovers games is meaningless to you and that no Stranraer game is meaningless to a Stranraer fan etc. Yes, derbies are always more anticipated when you only have one home and away game a season.

7 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Based on a 14 team league?

This format would give teams a minimum of 19 home games, one more than the current 18 home games in the bottom 3 divisions.

Given the losses incurred by clubs due to lockdown, clubs would relish the extra income from that game.

39 games a season would give clubs either 19  or 20 home games a season.Its not ideal but as you say its extra cash potentially.If you are old enough to remember that was the set up in the late 80s when we had 10-14-14.Splitting as the clyde fan suggested after 2 games then playing each other twice in a split would be even worse than what we have.It would be like the LC sectional ties of the early 70s when teams played each other home and away in the space of a month.Personally wouldnt fancy that one bit.I believe familiarity is killing the game we need less games most of all in the top league where i 'd prefer a 16 or 18 set up.

Prefer bigger leagues to splits myself as at least the mid table sides all have positions to play for and more prize money. If you just miss out on the split the now you know you're not going to get any higher or any more money from then till season end.

Looking likely that 14-14-16 proposal is going to be shot down by Premiership clubs on monetary terms and League Two clubs on crapping it terms.🤣

As I said a few weeks ago, as soon as the clubs get to discussing cash everything will fall apart and we will be back to square one. How could it be any other way with a voting system of 11-1 and 75% plus times two?…

Let’s just forget all the nonsense and start thinking about how football survives this eh?…

27 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Doncaster calling for a Scottish Govt bailout to help clubs survive.

Good luck with that.

Football is our national game so it should get a bailout but clubs are not banks so we are probably screwed.

Looking likely that 14-14-16 proposal is going to be shot down by Premiership clubs on monetary terms and League Two clubs on crapping it terms.🤣
As I said a few weeks ago, as soon as the clubs get to discussing cash everything will fall apart and we will be back to square one. How could it be any other way with a voting system of 11-1 and 75% plus times two?…
Let’s just forget all the nonsense and start thinking about how football survives this eh?…

You’re probably right but if we do get any kind of restructuring I bloody hope we get the 11-1 system into the sea as that’s only there to allow the Bigot Sisters to control everything, no idea how the other clubs ever allowed that and Aberdeen should be ashamed for allowing it to continue while Sevco were out the league.

Just now, San Starko Rover said:

You’re probably right but if we do get any kind of restructuring I bloody hope we get the 11-1 system into the sea as that’s only there to allow the Bigot Sisters to control everything, no idea how the other clubs ever allowed that and Aberdeen should be ashamed for allowing it to continue while Sevco were out the league.

Mind at the start of the SPL when Sky wanted unlimited Rangers/Celtic games so the limit on away matches being shown was taken away but instead of it being a 90/10% split in TV fees to the home side they allowed it to become 55/45%?

Non-OF football chairman are fucking idiots.